Home Main Category General Firearms

Springfield M1 Garand

CurlsCurls MemberPosts: 44 Member
Looking at M1 Garand's my only questions i need answered be people that have fired them. Are they reliable ? and is the weight gunna be a problume if im going to carry it for a day or so ?

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member
    Very reliable, with the correct ammo. Do NOT fire commercial hunting ammo in a Garand, unless the manufacture of the ammo specifically states that the ammo is ok in a Garand. You can blow a action and take it in the face, or best case bend the op rod with regular ammo. Op rods are bent, and they were bent by hand by a few guys who are real retired or deceased so don't try to straighten it, you don't want to mess yours up.
    It is the powder. The garand is made to work with a specific pressure curve and there is a lot of load data for them.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Curls wrote: »
    Looking at M1 Garand's my only questions i need answered be people that have fired them. Are they reliable ? and is the weight gunna be a problume if im going to carry it for a day or so ?

I believe I meet the requirements to post on this thread.
    Mine has been reliable with never a problem. If it's gunna be a problume to tote around a day or two, well that depends. Do you eat cheetos?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • CurlsCurls Member Posts: 44 Member
    yes i do eat cheetos some times. And thanks for all the help i have held the Garand only 3 times at gun stores and not for a long amount of time. Im an average guy shooter. But i really want a Garand because the reliable i heard and there semi auto in 30-06 ! And i heard that there really awesome at long range. So i really wanted one for kinda if you get me, my zombie apocalypse gun LOL. But being no weight lifting mad man i was worryed that the gun would make my arms tired from it being to heavy.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    You can always get in shape, start by laying off the cheetos!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • CurlsCurls Member Posts: 44 Member
    Why is every one bugging me about the cheetos ? i can have a snack every now and then. THIS IS ABOUT THE M1 GARAND. And can any one answer well i have a shooting times 2009 gun guide magazine and on page 124, it has a brand spankin new out of the factory never used in combat, m1 garand and i cant find any brand new made in 2009 m1 garand's ???
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Well. . .it is what it is - a 10 pound rifle. Figure the average deer rifle today is 7-9 with optics.

Are Springfield Garands reliable? To answer that, you need to understand a bit of the operational history of M1's. At best, you're dealing with a late-production gun from '53-'57 was made with all the knowledge gained from action in WWII and Korea, never left the country, never saw combat, and never got rebuilt. At worst, you might have a combat vet on it's fourth or fifth barrel that's been cobbled together with more parts than Victor Frankenstein's socially awkward pal - which is not a bad thing so long as the cobbler in question knew what he was doing and had good parts when doing it. The short answer is "it depends, so do your homework".

Accuracy? Properly fitted together, it will deliver the goods for typical battle rifle applications of 600 yards or so - some better, some worse. They can be National Match tuned for serious precision, but these modifications render the gun a bit more delicate and no longer suitable for tactical work.

As a "zombie apocalypse" gun, it's got two problems. 1. While I am this forum's biggest champion of the .30-06 cartrdige and will never call buying one a mistake, be aware that it's no longer even a secondary echelon round in the National Guard, and hasn't really been since probably the 1970's. Keeping it fed could be an issue. 2. You can't shoot just any .30-06 ammo through a Garand - the hot stuff will damage the operating rod unless you take the aftermarket step of a variable gas plug to vent the extra pressure. Otherwise you're limited to authentic M2 spec ammo, reproductions of it, or handloads rolled to replicate the pressure curve. You might be better off with the M1's descendant - the modern production Springfield Armory M1A (civilian M14). Shoots a current GI standard round, can be loaded with either detachable mags or stripper clips, and solves the issue of the delicate op-rod.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    welcome,

if the gun has been properly maintained and the ammo is loaded correctly, then you should be GTG. afa too heavy, its relative. do you think the gun will be heavy if someones shooting at you?

zombies, LOL. wheres the sign of the necrophiliac....

btw, have you priced 06 ammo for you toy and zombie gun? weight maybe the last thing to worry about. buying is one thing, feeding is another.

afa NIB M1s, you may as well hope to win the heart of the HK lesbian milliionairs daughter. you an find reburbished or have one built, but NIB not going to happen. the last NIB one from CMP was mucho $$$$$. the best you can do is find a nice refurbished one. also, you have BOLO for the welded M1s.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    The Garands reliability in all sort of wartime conditions is legandary , and perhaps a bit embellished. Still , it was the most reliable battle rifle of it's power level and day. There's millions still in use.

Most Garands available are surplus USGI , or commercial cast receiver guns built with mainly surplus USGI parts. They've been around because it was a design well ahead of it's time , was made of the best materials to high quality standards , and was built (overbuilt?) to last.

To build a Garand today with all new production parts would be extremely expensive. It was designed around manufacturing methods and machinery available in the 1930s. Quite often , there were several machines designed and built to make just one part.

The 30-06 round as used in the Garand is of the same power level as the 7.62x51 NATO round , almost the same as the .308 Winchester , a much shorter round which is easier to design a semi-auto rifle around , and there are several good ones out there.

And I prefer fried Cheetos over baked! :tooth:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I prefer the crunchy cheetos myself. If you don't wash your hands after eating cheetos the yellow cheetos dust can gum up the action and cause some feeding issues. So tell me, do you ever eat cheetos while watching gladiator movies?

I have a 1956 Springfield Garand that is super reliable, super accurate and an alll around super shooter! I could carry mine around for a few days with no issue but your mileage may vary, that all depends on you, as said above it is a 10 pound rifle.

Accuracy can be very good with these rifles and they can be fun to hunt with too. I have taken a few pigs with mine over the years.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member

First and foremost Curls welcome aboard, to the gun nut house.... Back in 2000 I bought two M1 Garands from the CMP that was offered through the NRA. Both of my rifles were good rifles, a bit on the heavy side for me but I sure loved those guns.. I sold one to a former board member here, and kept one. I would drag that rifle out every weekend to shoot it. Other than the fact it was a tad heavy, mine shot really really good, functioned flawlessly each and every time.. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all being a gas operated action. The only quirp about it, was that if one didn't keep their thumb out of the way, or one didn't know where to place his/her thumb one could get "Bit" by the M1-Garand's action. I buddied around with a dude I worked with at that time and we were both members of the same rifle club. He was/is a US Marine back in the 1960's and was actually trained on a M1- Garand. He showed me the M1 Garand ropes that weekend.

Back then cheaper than dirt would have M1- Garand enblocks with the 30-06 surplus ammo on bandoliers and I would buy as much as I could afford. I would keep the used Enblocks. The person I sold the other M1-Garand too started reloading his own ammo for the Garand witch requires a little research before one does this, but never the less, the reloaded ammo Mike G. loaded worked and worked good. But to answer your question about reliable and problem if one is to carry the M1 as far as I am concerned is this; its one very reliable rifle even to this date but it's going to get very heavy toward the end of the hunting day..... Get a sling for your rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your going to need it!!!! The three years I kept that rifle it was one of the rifles that alway went to the range with me on range days, didn't matter if I shot it that day or not it alway went with me.. I never had my M1 to misfire or jam ever.

mkk41 wrote:
    The Garands reliability in all sort of wartime conditions is legandary , and perhaps a bit embellished. Still , it was the most reliable battle rifle of it's power level and day. There's millions still in use.
    BTW General George S. Patton said about the M1:
    The M1 Garand (officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 .... General George S. Patton called it "the greatest implement of battle ever devised."
    .... And he was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigslug wrote:
    As a "zombie apocalypse" gun, it's got two problems. 1. While I am this forum's biggest champion of the .30-06 cartrdige and will never call buying one a mistake, be aware that it's no longer even a secondary echelon round in the National Guard, and hasn't really been since probably the 1970's. Keeping it fed could be an issue. 2. You can't shoot just any .30-06 ammo through a Garand - the hot stuff will damage the operating rod unless you take the aftermarket step of a variable gas plug to vent the extra pressure. Otherwise you're limited to authentic M2 spec ammo, reproductions of it, or handloads rolled to replicate the pressure curve. You might be better off with the M1's descendant - the modern production Springfield Armory M1A (civilian M14). Shoots a current GI standard round, can be loaded with either detachable mags or stripper clips, and solves the issue of the delicate op-rod.

And Bigslug would be very correct in saying this^^^^^^^^^^^^^:that:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Been firing mine (Rebarreled to .308) and a friend's yesterday at a local range without issues, both being WWII-era rifles. If it's in proper condition, it should work flawlessly with factory ammo loaded to adequate specs. We were plinking against 15x15" steel plates @ 120, 220 and 350 yards using open sights.

It's a tad heavy to carry around for modern standards, but nothing an able-bodied average sized man in healthy physical condition and under mild environmental conditions won't endure using the proper carrying sling. Assuming barrel chamber & mouth are in good serviceable condition, to ensure proper performance it's good to install a brand-new op rod spring and check the gas system wear status, specially the gas cylinder & piston.

Unless you're a collector/history buff/Garand fan, there are a lot of other choices better suited to what you might want it for in other similar-performing cartridges (Mainly .308). I'd suggest looking at the Springfield M-1A or the FN FAL.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    It's a great rifle, and one GIs carried day-in, day-out across Europe. It's not a lightweight, but it's solid and reliable. It's getting harder to find really good one, but if you're willing to pay the price, they're out there. The rack-grade ones are just so-so.

BTW, I like eating cheetos and watching gladiator movies.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I like the M-1 Garrand as a curio, perhaps to hunt deer..... however, nostalgia aside, I would rather an AR-10 for more serious work.

If you are bent on getting an M-1 Garrand, I recommend a set of headspace gauges and a manual on using them.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    is the weight gunna be a problume if im going to carry it for a day or so ?

From the U.S. Army training manual: "9.6 pounds without bayonet, 10.6 pounds with bayonet". If you gotta ask if it's going to be a problem to carry, yes, it probably will be!
    Jerry
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    . Are they reliable ? and is the weight gunna be a problume if im going to carry it for a day or so ?
    Reliable...yes.... and unless you plan on carrying it up a volcanic island in the Pacific....you should be fine.....Ken
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    In retrospect, full field pack maneuvers and the M-4 + ammo, is no better or worse than the average equipped hunter & a Garrand + ammo....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    Aim surplus has PPU ammo for the garand ......................... that is if you dont/cant get it from the cmp
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Aim surplus has PPU ammo for the garand ......................... that is if you dont/cant get it from the cmp

That's very interesting and valuable information. I'm still very new here but I'll welcome you back anyway.

But we were talking about Cheetos. So does CMP stand for Cheetos Manufactured Products? Do they offer bulk pricing of Cheetos?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs