Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun show quest?

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 479 Member
when you go to a gun show, is there something special that you hope is there? i always keep an eye peeled for a nice savage 99. or a winchester 94 pre WW11.
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, I look for a Luger in .45 ACP- - - - - -might as well dream big!
    Jerry
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    BTW both your guns are in my safe

Yeah and some of mine
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I shop differently. I never go "looking" for anything. I just look at averything that catches my eye and decide if I want it bad enough. BTW both your guns are in my safe :tooth:

I'm like Enzo but one of these days I'll run across one of these. I know I wouldn't be able to afford it but to just hold such a rare piece of history is enough.
    BTW, this one happens to be serial# 1 !

Singer1911.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    I look at everything for anything undervalued...targets of opportunity as a friend would say
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Two of my three gunshow purchases have been guns I was specifically looking for. I have a mental list of the guns I want but I'm always open to impulse buys. My avatar being a prime example.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    I am afraid to answer this on the grounds that Weatherby and others will just put the enabling screws to me with a multitude of links that will occupy my thoughts in a tortuous manner when I do not jump on the deal:jester:. But, I do like to look, so, a Ruger PC9 or PC40, Marlin 336 in .357, and Ishapoor SMLE in .308 come to mind.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks for putting me on your list....Now pay for the keyboard
    You do realize that my last gun was bought with stock money and not wallstreets
    Not that I'm enabling you or anything
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    A Stevens 44 1/2 action rifle in any centerfire chambering still being loaded. And isn't in the 4 figure price range.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Last gun show I went to I told my buddy that I wasn't gonna buy anything unless I happened upon a Birdshead Vaquero in .45 colt.....well you all have seen the pic.

Mostly I just go to look for a good deal but those are hard to find anymore.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Thanks for putting me on your list....Now pay for the keyboard
    You do realize that my last gun was bought with stock money and not wallstreets
    Not that I'm enabling you or anything

I breathed a sigh of relief when I opened this thread and saw no links.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    gunwalker wrote: »
    when you go to a gun show, is there something special that you hope is there? i always keep an eye peeled for a nice savage 99. or a winchester 94 pre WW11.

Good thread ya got here gunwalker!!!!!!!!!!!! Well most of the gun shows that I go to I just go to see whats there,and check prices a bit. The last gunshow I went to I found a Sig .380 like I used to have back in the day. I did some horse trading and we both got a pretty good deal. I got my Sig back with two magazines... I like to search around gun shows for very old guns and ammo that ain't readily available now a days.. Most of the gun shows that I have attended in my life the prices were just out-of-sight......both for guns and ammo.

I remember a while back one could get some pretty good prices on knifes and swords and such,but not now.. I collect swords, knifes, switchblades, etc. I got many a Stiletto and switch blade knife for about 10.00 to 15.00 dollars back in the day, and I still have a few of them but they are getting pretty hard to find and the asking prices are just ridiculously high. The last gun show I attended here in NM one vendor had some really good quaility switchblades, but he was asking around 90.00 dollars for each one. Too much for me. Bud K is still selling Stiletto, and knifes and such, their prices ain't bad.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I am afraid to answer this on the grounds that Weatherby and others will just put the enabling screws to me with a multitude of links that will occupy my thoughts in a tortuous manner when I do not jump on the deal:jester:. But, I do like to look, so, a Ruger PC9 or PC40, Marlin 336 in .357, and Ishapoor SMLE in .308 come to mind.

Wow, over $300 asking fer one. mine was $99 with a perfect bore back when I got it. bullsi can shoot his very well, he can bust orange clays @ 100 yards standing position. I may just have to bring mine out from FLA and do some reloading fer it and see what I can do.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/944497452/Guns/Rifles/Enfield-Rifle/ISHAPORE_ENFIELD_2A1_308.htm

Bottom one in pic, holds 12 rounds.

011908-guns003-1.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Wow, over $300 asking fer one. mine was $99 with a perfect bore back when I got it. bullsi can shoot his very well, he can bust orange clays @ 100 yards standing position. I may just have to bring mine out from FLA and do some reloading fer it and see what I can do.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/944497452/Guns/Rifles/Enfield-Rifle/ISHAPORE_ENFIELD_2A1_308.htm

Bottom one in pic, holds 12 rounds.

011908-guns003-1.jpg

Had my C&R even, could of had one for $189 when I first started looking.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    I have a "short list" of things that I am always on the lookout for, but for the most part, I just browse when I'm at a show.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    Having only been to gun shows in California I very seldom look for firearms (prices are crazy and have to go through an FFL with 10 day wait) but I do look for gun parts, reloading supplies and ammo.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    First, I'm looking for weapons I already own to see what the current market value is, Second, I like to find guns I used to own and now miss - just so I can hold them again, and Third, to check out the zillion guns I still want, comparing 'live' prices to Internet auction prices.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Gunwalker, I haven't been to a gun show in 5 years now. I just don't need much, or more accurately, If I don't have the money for what I want, I stay home. But when I do go to shows, I usually look for about 5 items. 1) A nice Pre-64 Model 70 in preferably .257 Roberts, .270 Win., or 300 H&H, a Model 12 12 ga. Winchester Pump shotgun, A nice 1903 in pristine condition, a Winchester Model 42 .410, or a Model 31 Rem. Pump in about any gauge. OH make that 6 items, because I am also perpetually looking for a Savage 99 in .250 Savage or .300 Savage. Actually I'd take any caliber. I'm really not picky when it comes to Savage 99s.

The reason I haven't been going to gun shows is that I am currently putting all my resources into Gun Builds. I've had three rifles built so far, and I am having one Rebarreled as we speak, so this is taking up my complete gun fund. And if I go to a gun show, I'll just drool and wish, because I know I can't have it yet.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I used to look for targets of opportunity, before all the newbies drove the prices out of sight. Now, I'm more likely to buy something new from one of the FFL dealers, there, because sometimes I will find stuff that local LGS's don't stock. The last few times I've gone, I've just bought a few accessories, and visited with friends. It's more a matter of finding stuff I can't find anywhere else than getting a good deal.
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member Posts: 149 Member
    I'll go looking for Ruger #1's and a few particular Ruger parts. I stop and check any Ruger single actions or any Ruger actually just to see if it's perhaps an odd-ball model. May not be something I want but it could be something I know someone else wants. I'll grab serial numbers of odd models to help with the RENE too. 10/22's also will get my attention. Other than that...
    I have "eyes" at all shows within a 3 state area so even if I don't attend, I'll often have pre-show "this is here" news.