Home Main Category Hunting

Forum elk hunt in unit 54 reminder!!!

13»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    You guys are overlooking the most important facet of the hunt. That will be Monday night when Paul (Mosseybuck) and I invade your condo for a shower and a meal. Joe and I have been exchanging PMs and just about have this lined up.

We'll be in 521, west of where you guys are, but not very far west. I'm really looking forward to the meet and greet.

Here's to wishing everyone the best of luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 548 Senior Member
    Jerry told me about the planned Monday meet and greet and I too, am looking forward to it! Good luck everyone!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Everyone do a final check on your gear...head to toe....light and hard weather...head, chest, legs, feet....."gaiters", boots.....check your pack....batteries, knives, sharpeners, rope and survival gear....light, fire making, water, EMS....radio if such. Navigation tools.....maps, compass, GPS, emergency signals. Rifle, ammo, tools to fix and clean in the field....elect. tape to seal your muzzles. Binos, spotting scopes, scope covers for your rifles....LRFs if you got 'em. Lens cleaning pens.....Shaving and bathing (scent free)....and a can-do attitude! Dont' forget your license!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Everyone do a final check on your gear...head to toe....light and hard weather...head, chest, legs, feet....."gaiters", boots.....check your pack....batteries, knives, sharpeners, rope and survival gear....light, fire making, water, EMS....radio if such. Navigation tools.....maps, compass, GPS, emergency signals. Rifle, ammo, tools to fix and clean in the field....elect. tape to seal your muzzles. Binos, spotting scopes, scope covers for your rifles....LRFs if you got 'em. Lens cleaning pens.....Shaving and bathing (scent free)....and a can-do attitude! Dont' forget your license!

Steve, do you really like gaiters? I've worn them before while still hunting through 6-10 inch snow. While they do what they're supposed to do, I found that snow and ice tend to form a ball on the strap that runs underneath your boot, and you have to stop every now and then and clean that off.

I'd rather just wear good high top gore-tex lined boots and wool pants.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Not a BIG fan of them until the snow is up to your knees.....and really the only reason was to keep snow out of the top of the boots. I'm usually wearing 9-10" gore-tex boots with BDU pants tucked inside. It got to be just another pair of things taking up pack space, so if I'm playing in the snow, I'll throw on some lightweight waterproof over-pants and clip the bottoms under the boots using elastic and snap-buckles like you see on suspenders.

I also forgot to mention bone saw.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Ugh. I still gotta pack.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Ugh. I still gotta pack.

I still gotta drive:drool:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Update. I'm in Montrose, got here yesterday. Got the rifles re zeroed for altitude, groceries bought, truck packed. Heading up to Crested Butte shortly.
    Chiro is in Crested Butte, he drove all night.
    MHS is on the way.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,887 Senior Member
    Delayed a bit due to the dog sitter not being able to take my pooch last night so I'm just waiting for him to get home from work. I'll be up early afternoon still!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,203 Senior Member
    Good luck guys! I already know that you will have a great time. Try to score us an elk though.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    good luck!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I wish y'all the best. I'm sad I can't make it but that's life. All the time I was working all those years I had to forego things like this due to work and couldn't get off to go. Now I'm retired and it seems like things have gotten worse not better. Now to make things worse, I haven't even gotten drawn for a state hunt yet and I'm thinking I won't. Oh well, lookin more like all I'll shoot this year is hogs. But that's not so bad, I do love to shoot hogs.

Just you guys enjoy it and kill some nice animals.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    I am up and running, 18 hrs of driving.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Y'all should be on location now......two days to acclimate and scout......the Hunger Games start Monday.....and may the odds ever be in your favor! :up:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,203 Senior Member
    :yousuck:

That is preemptive for JB.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine