'93 Mauser blow up

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 7,025 Senior Member
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,107929.0.html

Found this link on the Mauser fourm. Hard to determine 'cause of malfuntion, but it ain't purdy!!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,731 Senior Member
    The pics make me think a case failure, the story "Went off while closing" sort of supports the case not being fully supported and failing, but cause of OOB firing eludes me :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• kmeierskskmeiersks Member Posts: 121 Member
    Could have been alot worse...
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    IIRC , '93 actions are cock on closing.

Broken firing pin? Faulty trigger?
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,338 Senior Member
    I couldn't see the locking lugs on the bolt, but it doesn't look like there was a chamber or bolt failure. That tells me the firing pin fell before the bolt was closed far enough for the locking lugs to engage. I'm thinking someone has modified the sear engagement enough to allow the firing pin to fall during the "cock on closing" phase of chambering before the bolt lugs engaged. The controlled-round extractor usually holds the primer close enough to the bolt face to allow the firing pin to hit the primer and fire the round even if the case shoulder isn't touching the chamber. M 98's have a feature inside the bolt to prevent the firing pin from touching the primer if the bolt isn't fully closed. Earlier designs don't have that feature. Paul Mauser learned a LOT of little tricks to make the 98's safer and more reliable!

Edit: If a "puny" round like a 7X57 can do that much damage, think about what a belted magnum can do! We get a little complacent about the power we're unleashing a few inches from our faces sometimes!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jwv2001jwv2001 Member Posts: 125 Member
    What puzzles me from the story told, how come the stock is split? You would think that for the firing pin to fall there would have to be some degree of engagement of the lugs. There are some very important things missing from this story.
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,145 Senior Member
    My guess would be the cartridge exploded in the pre-chamber, in between the chamber and the back of the bolt. Thus busting the stock.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "Edit: If a "puny" round like a 7X57 can do that much damage, think about what a belted magnum can do! We get a little complacent about the power we're unleashing a few inches from our faces sometimes!
    Jerry"

That is why we need you Teach ! to remind us of the really important facts in these matters !!!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    My guess would be the cartridge exploded in the pre-chamber, in between the chamber and the back of the bolt. Thus busting the stock.

I think the gasses produced perhaps are what broke the stock.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,025 Senior Member
    The ruptured case caused the gases to release back through the action. The gas diversion system of the '93 is one of it's weakness'. The gas diverted out the magazine, you can see the bent floorplate, and also caused the side of the stock to split out!!
    I've also seen this happen to a brand new Weatherby MK5 in .257, first shot from a brand new rifle.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,338 Senior Member
    Exactly my take, Gene- - - -before the bolt lugs engaged, the round fired, and the pressure vented out the back- - - -blowing the bolt past the stop, and venting all the chamber pressure into the magazine and stock area. Even if the bullet made it out of the muzzle, virtually all of the thousands of PSI of pressure got exerted against the unsupported case. Notice the clean shear of the brass just ahead of the case head? The shooter's hand gave the bolt just enough resistance to direct the pressure downward into the magazine box and stock cutout. I'm going to guess the striker spring got about 2/3 compressed before the sear disengaged.

I worked on a 1891 Argentine rifle that had fired with a slightly open bolt when the shooter tried to de-cock the rifle by squeezing the trigger and lowering the bolt handle with a round in the chamber. The cocking piece hung up and released with the bolt about halfway closed. That one didn't blow the bolt out, but the case burst, and broke the small spring extractor off cleanly at the front of the bolt. The 91 doesn't have the big non-rotating extractor like a small ring or a 98.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite