What AR lower to buy???

FiveSevenFiveSeven MemberPosts: 289 Member
I'm looking into building an AR, but there is quite a selection on the market. What is a good company to go with and or what should i stay away from?
Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,784 Senior Member
    Pretty much any one will work. I have one that's a higher priced billet lower and one from a no-name auto parts company that was down the street from me in AZ that made lowers to make extra cash. Not much diffference at all.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    From what I've read, quite a few companies make lowers for other companies. Here's a list I dug up...

Lewis Machine & Tool

LMT
    Lauer
    DS Arms
    PWA
    Eagle
    Armalite
    Knights Armament
    Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

Stag
    Rock River Arms
    High Standard
    Noveske
    Century (New)
    Global Tactical
    CLE
    S&W
    MGI
    Wilson Tactical
    Grenadier Precision
    Colt

LAR Manufacturing

LAR
    Bushmaster
    Ameetec
    DPMS
    CMMG
    Double Star
    Fulton Armory
    Spike's Tactical

JVP

Double Star
    LRB
    Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

Mega
    GSE
    Dalphon
    POF
    Alexander Arms

Olympic

Olympic
    SGW
    Tromix
    Palmetto
    Dalphon
    Frankford
    Century (Old)

Sun Devil

Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

Superior Arms
    Lauer (New)

Aero Precision

Aero Precision
    Overkill is underrated.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    Pick which companies roll mark you like best about sums it up.

I personally buy the $79-99 lowers that are available from numerous companies.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    FiveSeven wrote: »
    I'm looking into building an AR, but there is quite a selection on the market. What is a good company to go with and or what should i stay away from?
    The only one I know you REALLY want to stay away from is Vulcan/hess or whatever name they're using these days.
    I have 1 RRA, 2 DPMS and 1 MMC lower, I listed them in "tightness"
    The RRA is the tightest fit with most uppers, the MMC is the loosest fit and the DPMS are in the middle.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Agreed, my Rock River lowers fit very tight to the uppers they're mated to; one being a Vltor MUR and the other a CMMG. I need to use a punch to drive out the takedown pins to clean them.

My third was built on a Bushmaster lower, and I had to add an Accuwedge inside to tighten up the slop.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Not much on local really. I prefer the best product at the best price whether that be local or otherwise.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
    I would get this deal from JSE then. Shipped it's only $90 plus your FFL fee. Only 1 left though.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/aeroprecisionstrippedar15lowerreceiver-limitedtimespecial.aspx
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    My first choice would be a lower from Rock River,
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Have 3 Spike's and they work great, I hear that sometimes they let them go for a song at gun shows when they set shop at one.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    In this area, it's "Get anything you can". If you find a lower in stock, BUY IT.

I got 2 DelTon lowers. Like them so far.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    That's what it was like around here in 2008; luckily I had already bought most of my parts in 2007.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    In this area, it's "Get anything you can". If you find a lower in stock, BUY IT.

I got 2 DelTon lowers. Like them so far.

Lowers can be had all over the internet, for cheap.