Any thoughts or interest in Rock River's LAR-47?

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberPosts: 2,430 Senior Member
I really like this "AR" in 7.62X39. They seem to have addressed the problems on past attempts. Pretty pricey still IMHO.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2012/09/24/evolutionary-rock-river-arms-lar-47-review/

Replies

• rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Haven't looked into it too deeply. I like the idea of not having to buy more mags specific to this rifle but as much as I have invested into the AK platform I would probably just buy another AK. For the guy that has gone the opposite way and invested heavily in the AR platform but wants cheaper ammo and a harder hitting round then it might be the perfect fit. AK mags have gone up 50% in the last couple of months though so even those aren't the bargain they used to be.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    While I love the idea of a modular platform for the round, the price is what will probably keep me away. I do love AR's, but would probably rather have 2 decent AK's for the same price. If I had more disposable cash my mind may change though.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Base price gas in a Corvette......go see how that works.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    I just looked at the price. For that money you can get 2 M10's if you want tactical and they include 4 mags and a case each. Or 1 M10 and 3,000 rounds of ammo.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
    Base price gas in a Corvette......go see how that works.

You don't like the round?
    On the contrary....I LOVE it! The first and only true "Assault Rifle Round" ever produced in mass manufacture despite the the history of the German Sturmgewhere (sp). It makes total sense to try to meld that with the AR platform.....but like some relationships......it's not to be.."she ain't right for ya" as some would say. Look at what's happening with the .300 blackout and whisper.....pushing a pig through a lamb's corn-hole.

I'll buck traditional aspects here....the AK-47 is an Assault Weapon....the SKS is an Assault Rifle in a carbine package.....one has to consider the "assault cartridge".
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    I'll buck traditional aspects here....the AK-47 is an Assault Weapon....the SKS is an Assault Rifle in a carbine package.....one has to consider the "assault cartridge".

Can you dig a little deeper than that? I am quite confused. What do you see as the classification differences between the 2 other than the obvious media made up "assault weapon" term.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    I think a statement I once read echoes my sentiments pretty well: 5.56 in an AK platform is wrong. 7.62x39 in an AR platform is equally wrong. Why hamstring an accurate cartridge with an inaccurate platform, or vice-versa? I used to think a 7.62x39 AR would be nice, but if I'm shooting that ammo, I'd prefer an AK or an SKS.
    Overkill is underrated.
    cpj wrote: »
    Umm, no.
    If I wanted somethi g with more umph, I would get a 6.5 Grendel upper and still have cash left over.
    762x39 in an AR is just wrong.

I would agree if it were not for ammo. availability (readily) between the 2.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    Not at its current price point.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Rally: Assault weapon.....capable of select fire (i.e. automatic firing)....The AK-47 was designed to be fired on the run and putting many rounds down-range while assaulting and overtaking a position while laying down suppressive fire.

An Assault rifle is meant for aimed fire with the capability for rapid reloading in order to keep up sustained fire upon the target. it's a gray area. But an assault rifle w/o automatic capability is not an assault weapon.

Now anyone can argue.....fix bayonets on a Brown Bess, or an 186-something Springfield....guess what....you now have an an assault weapon....right!?

Granted this is very basic to you.....but I'm thinking of the ones that are just visiting this forum....eh!?
    Like I said, if the price was a little more in line with a good AK, then yes, I would jump on 1.

I was a little surprised to see DGI as opposed to a piston design though.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    I would be if it was a piston upper, and not a DI. I like that they solved the whole mag issue with 7.62x39 in an AR. And they solved it by using the best battle proven mags out there.

But then they have the rifle poop where it eats. That's just... dumb.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Rally: Assault weapon.....capable of select fire (i.e. automatic firing)....The AK-47 was designed to be fired on the run and putting many rounds down-range while assaulting and overtaking a position while laying down suppressive fire.

An Assault rifle is meant for aimed fire with the capability for rapid reloading in order to keep up sustained fire upon the target. it's a gray area. But an assault rifle w/o automatic capability is not an assault weapon.

Now anyone can argue.....fix bayonets on a Brown Bess, or an 186-something Springfield....guess what....you now have an an assault weapon....right!?

Granted this is very basic to you.....but I'm thinking of the ones that are just visiting this forum....eh!?

Ok, I was curious since you classified them differently and the sks and AK are basically suited for the same purpose and they made an SKS that takes AK mags. If you are talking currently available AK's then they will be semi auto just like the SKS. All of my AK's are just as accurate as any sks I have shot so other than the ease of disassembly and maintenance of the AK vs the sks there is really not much difference.

Comparing a full auto AK to the sks is a totally different situation. A full auto AK is an assault rifle. "Assault weapon" is a term thought up by the antis I the early '90's to justify getting those "dangerous semi automatic rifles"'off the streets. ;)
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    The hammer in my tool box is an assault weapon. If I assault you with it that is. Otherwise it's just another tool.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,455 Senior Member
    FiveSeven wrote: »
    The hammer in my tool box is an assault weapon. If I assault you with it that is. Otherwise it's just another tool.

Joe Biden is also a tool, but I wouldn't even think of assaulting anyone with him. just sayin'...:tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Joe Biden is also a tool, but I wouldn't even think of assaulting anyone with him. just sayin'...:tooth:

This brought a picture to mind that I have that is way too inappropriate due to language to post here......
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    :spittingcoffee:
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    rallykid wrote: »
    This brought a picture to mind that I have that is way too inappropriate due to language to post here......

Ya ever been so mad, that you beat a m**********r with another m**********r?
    That would be the one
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    I have an AR in 5.56 because I think one day, it will be a necessary tool for survival here in the US. I will want to resupply it with ammo readily available here. I don't believe we will be invaded by hordes of 7.62X39 users. The people we will be fighting will undoubtedly be using the same ammo I'm chambered in. An AR-10 makes significantly more sense than an AR in 7.62X39. More sense and more cost effective. Unless the LAR-47 or a copy could be made around the same price as I have made my AR, it's merely a preference thing and makes little actual sense.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • kmeierskskmeiersks Member Posts: 121 Member
    The idea of the LAR-47 was to make a more accurate and modular 7.62x39. I think the easier and probably cheaper solution would be to make an AK more accurate and add rails. Or get a 300 BLK upper. They solved a problem that didnt need to exist.:deadhorse: