Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Well, I guess this is it...

So, with Hurricane Sandy (or tropical storm or whatever), it seems Benghazi is no longer a news story, and all we're going to talk about is the storm and reactions to it. At this point, two of the major swing states, Virginia and Florida weren't heavily affected by Sandy. It will hit Ohio today/tonight I think, but we're not expecting much (got a little snow yesterday, thinking wind and rain tonight).

I think it's going to matter how each candidate reacts. "Disaster" in political speak is pronounced "opportunity". We've seen Romney handing out supplies and food in Ohio, and now being dogged with questions over remarks about getting rid of FEMA. I don't know, as I mentioned, we haven't really been hit in Ohio, so I'm not sure this was the best place for that... And he's heading back to Virginia I think tomorrow.

I haven't seen much of Obama. This is a much bigger affected area than Katrina, and though I know they are much different storms, fumbling this could easily cost him the few points needed to turn this election (Romney has a few points in FL, VA is tied, Obama has a few points in OH). It does help him that Chris Christie, the republican governor of New Jersey is supporting Obama. I can think of 2 reasons for that: 1) He's already begged the whitehouse for disaster recovery money, and 2) He wants to run for president in 4 years, impossible if there is a republican incumbent.

I hate that the news media is telling us that this is the subject of the final news cycle of the election, but I think we'll see who will win the election over what happens in the next few days...

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    This is the national emergency such as was referenced in another thread.
    Obama is acting president.

So, anyone with storm related problems, take him up on his personal
    offer and call him for help.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    NN wrote: »
    This is the national emergency such as was referenced in another thread.
    Obama is acting president.

So, anyone with storm related problems, take him up on his personal
    offer and call him for help.

HA! I like this!
    "I need to speak to the president! The hurricane must have opened a gate to the after-life! The storm got here today, and now, tonight, there are all these tiny demons ringing my doorbell and asking for candy! This is VERY SERIOUS! I need to speak to the president RIGHT NOW!"