Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Ohio is sick and tired of Campaign Attack Ads.

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
This is life in Ohio in the final days of Campaign 2012: screeching TV ads, mountains of political fliers and endless robocalls. Buckeye State residents have had enough.

SUNBURY, Ohio — This is what it's like to be an Ohioan in the maddening final days of Campaign 2012:

A cacophony of screeching voices spew attack ads from television and radio, hurling words like "FALSE! DECEIVING! DISHONEST!," disrupting regular programs for up to 15 minutes at a time. Mountains of political fliers — glossy sophisticated sheets with invective stamped all over them — spill from mailboxes. Answering machines are jammed with messages from candidates or their surrogates, annoying some people so much they have turned off their phones until after the election.

Add to that the massive traffic snarls every time a presidential candidate comes to town — which lately has been every other day — and it's hard not to feel sympathy for the beleaguered Buckeye voter.

"All this attention doesn't make us feel special," bellowed Greg Schreiber, a 61-year-old retired electrician who meets his fellow electrician buddies at the Sunbury Grill for breakfast once a week. "It makes us mad."

There's a television screen blinking in the back of the eatery. But these days, owner Sarah Arrowsmith keeps it on mute. The relentless onslaught of political ads, she says, are driving her customers — most of them older, drawn by both the homey atmosphere and the 10 percent senior discount — crazy.

"One more negative ad and the fists will be flying," Arrowsmith said. "Or at least the dentures."

Sipping coffee at the counter, Hank Wessel chuckled at the irony of it all.

"Most of the time we are considered fly-over country full of country bumpkins who cling to our God and our guns," said the 68-year-old retired physician, wearing a baseball cap stamped "NOPE." ''And then every four years we are America's hard-working heartland when everyone is courting our vote."

This is life in Ohio in the final days of Campaign 2012: screeching TV ads, mountains of political fliers and endless robocalls. Buckeye State residents have had enough.

http://t.news.msn.com/politics/ohio-is-sick-and-tired-of-campaign-attack-ads
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    I'm in Ohio now. up at Wright Patt AFB for another week. And it's true, it is non-stop campaign adds. All I can say is, I miss my DVR and the fast forward feature.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    BOTH sides sure waste a lot of money spewing that non stop crap, everybody in sick of hearing. AND my mail box has been full of that stuff every day, too!! On the plus side, all those yard campaign signs will make excellent target holders!!
  • SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    BOTH sides sure waste a lot of money spewing that non stop crap, everybody in sick of hearing. AND my mail box has been full of that stuff every day, too!! On the plus side, all those yard campaign signs will make excellent target holders!!

The amount of signs is seriously insane. Who makes that stuff? I should buy a ton of their stock in 2015...
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    I just returned from Ohio last Friday from a 10 day trip and the Political Ads are unbelievable, they seem to last longer then the TV programs. Even the local ads in Indiana are not as many as in Ohio. I can't wait till the election is over, but then will have to watch all of the pundits explain what happened. Glad I have a DVR so I can record and fast forward all of the ads or watch DirectTV and programs w/o the ads like movies w/o ads.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    It's because of Ohio's electoral votes that they are getting hammered with ads. And the saying that 'no one has been elected President that hasn't won the state of Ohio'. Y'all brought it on yourselves. Deal with it! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    Something different about living in HI is that during the day there are 5 ~ 10 people standing on every other street corner waving signs for their candidate.

All I can think of is "Don't you have jobs?"
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    Something different about living in HI is that during the day there are 5 ~ 10 people standing on every other street corner waving signs for their candidate.

Why, yes, they do have jobs. Waving signs for their candidates. Unless they are unpaid volunteers. :rotflmao:
    I think it's awful that we elect someone for four years and have not much choice but to put up with them no matter how bad a job they do. :bang:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »

Of course they do, waving signs for their chosen candidate :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Yes, the joy of living in a swing state...... blah
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,128 Senior Member
    The Obama camp seems to have found my cell number.... Mucho text messages today.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Colorado being another swing-state.......I unplugged the phone a week ago.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!