MosseyBuck and I saw a Pine (American) Marten last week

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,227 Senior Member
We think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_marten

Last week, while elk hunting, we were working our way through a low area between two hills. The undergrowth and deadfall was pretty heavy, and the going was slow. We stopped to rest on a fallen aspen tree and saw a chipmunk. It bailed, and we then saw why. There was what we think was a marten after it.

It didn't stick around for long, and Paul got a better look at than I did. Regardless, it was neat to see it, and one of the many things that can make a hunt memorable even if you get skunked.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    I don't know if you already know this or not......

When the DOW started re-introducing martens back in the wild, the locations where they were released was top-secret. I don't know if it's still true or not, but a while back they wanted you to report any sightings of martens in the wild.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Really? Cause I've seen them on the eastern edge of the Gunninson Basin up against the Divide.....thought it was just another Weasle. Should I be calling CPAW? (Formally CDOW).
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    Cool
    This message has been deleted
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I don't know if you already know this or not......

When the DOW started re-introducing martens back in the wild, the locations where they were released was top-secret. I don't know if it's still true or not, but a while back they wanted you to report any sightings of martens in the wild.

Mike

I didn't know that, Mike. Thanks for letting me know.

Heck, I don't even know if it was a marten. Paul and I both drew that conclusion independently of each other, and it fits the description I posted.

I'll give the DOW a shout tomorrow and see if they're interested.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    I hope you see this before you call the CPAW....I woke up this morning and remembered that it was ferrets, not martens.

Sorry 'bout that.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,714 Senior Member
    Good looking critters...

250px-Marten_with_Flowers.jpg

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I hope you see this before you call the CPAW....I woke up this morning and remembered that it was ferrets, not martens.

Sorry 'bout that.

Mike

Now you tell me!!!!!

I just got off of the phone with the CDOW, and was told that very thing. The guy I talked to was very nice, though, and thought it was neat that I had seen one, and even asked me where I saw it.

They're neat little creatures. The one we saw had a darker face than the one posted. It was more of a gray/black sort of thing, as I recall. Anyway, I'm glad it graced us with its presence, even if it only lasted a few seconds.
    Jerry