Show us your range card

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,844 Senior Member
Here's my "rough draft" for the Grendel. I haven't managed to get to the range and confirm/correct it yet, but it should be "close"
rangecard.jpg
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,539 Senior Member
    Not looking at mine right now, but for the big game rifles, it's something like this.

300 - -3"
    350- top of back
    400 - top of back +6"
    450 - top of back +12"
    500 - +5MOA
    550 - +6 MOA
    600 - +8 MOA

It's kind of a hybrid "holdover/comeups". I'll hold over at ranges I'm comfortable with against a big game size boiler room, but past that, I twirl the dials. Both big game rifles are baseline zeroed at 250 yards.

With my pdog rigs, since the targets are a lot smaller, it's a pure comeups table in MOA from my baseline zero, which is 100 yards with these rigs. I know a 100 yard zero for the "smaller target/longer range" rigs seems counter-intuitive, but since most shots are in excess of 100 yards, but many are below 250, I don't have to deal with negative numbers. With a 100 yard baseline zero on the varmint guns, I know that 99% of my scope adjustment will be in the "up" direction. (That's some hard won experience speaking there).

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,593 Senior Member
    Easy:

1000 yard zero
    900 yards -4.5MOA
    800 yards -5.0MOA additional.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    With my Glock 19 or M&P45, put the big white dot dead center of the target out to about 120 yards, after that it's a bit of a guessing game.

With my Glock 34, put the fiber optic bead dead center of the target out to about 200 yards, past that, put it on the top edge of the target.

Hope this helps. :tooth:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    Part of one of mine.
    IMG_5056.jpg

While confirming drops
    IMG_6671.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Man!!!!!!!!! Fellows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I personally don't get that detailed into shooting!!! I like those cards though!!!!!!!!!!! Neat way of tracking ammo results? I am assuming that each rifle has their own card. Is this for like bench rest shooting and competetion shooting? Firs time I have ever seen shooting cards, some enlightenment please? Thanks.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    Range cards are for mortals! I look at the distance and "Will" the bullet into the target.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    My longest shot on game has been 118 yards, so I keep it simple with the Nikon BDC reticle. This is for .30-06 with a 165 gr. ballistic tip at 2800 fps

Crosshair = 100 yards

1st Circle = 202 yards

2nd Circle = 297 yards

I'm still working on my 'personal abilities,' beyond ~100 yards, so I'm not all that confident with this system, yet. But I expect to get more loading and practice time in the near future, and I've shot enough at 200 and 300 yards to believe this system will be adequate for what I want to accomplish, once I settle on the load I want and practice with it more.

At present, I'll probably take a shot on a deer out to about 200 yards, if necessary, and maybe to 300 on a coyote or feral hog. This would be from a rested position with enough time to use the rangefinder and make a well-calculated shot.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Robert, they are for any shooting where the distance is potentially enough different from your zero to require holding over or under.

And yes, every rifle and even every load for that rifle will require its own card.

If I substituted a 123gr Sierra Match King in my load, even if I adjusted the load to have the same MV, will have a different amount of drop at distance.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    At present, I'll probably take a shot on a deer out to about 200 yards, if necessary, and maybe to 300 on a coyote or feral hog. This would be from a rested position with enough time to use the rangefinder and make a well-calculated shot.
    Bisley, I only have a card for my Grendel, and it's for target shooting. No way in hades I'd start dialing my scope and lobbing bullets at a deer. Though I probably would if I ever went P-dog hunting Though that would be with a 95 V-max instead. For hunting, the only reason I'd use the card I posted on top MIGHT be if I saw a coyote on the far side of the hayfield

edited to add: You've got me on longest shot by a whole yard, my personal longest is a lased 117 yards

Each gun has their own drop chart and each load for each gun has their own drop chart.
    For BR shooting most have their guns zeroed at the distance they use or like Peg who has a primary distance (1000 yards), but also knows his drops/correction to a couple of shorter distances.
    Tactical shooters, snipers, LR prairie dog shooters, LR hunters, and even medium range hunters will have their drops listed.
    Think of the turret as being a spinning tape measure. IT is listed in numbers and you simply match those numbers with what your drop chart says to make correction for distance.
    A MIL/MOA and even a ballistic reticle (dashes/dots/lines going down the vertical crosshair is like that same yardstick on the reticle itself that you can see.
    Now you just look at your drop chart and then put your target on that corresponding number on your reticle for the distance you are shooting.
    Man!!!!!!!!! Fellows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I personally don't get that detailed into shooting!!! I like those cards though!!!!!!!!!!! Neat way of tracking ammo results? I am assuming that each rifle has their own card. Is this for like bench rest shooting and competetion shooting? Firs time I have ever seen shooting cards, some enlightenment please? Thanks.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member

This was my last one
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,528 Senior Member
    Looked pretty similar to this one
    rangecard.jpg
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member

Only range card I have....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 219 Member

This was my last one

That's what I was thinking of when I read the title.
    True, but when the OP started with a drop chart, I followed suit
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Don't have a range card just the dots on my LR Duplex

100 - Cross hair - 2.4" high

230 - Cross hair - zero - 0"

300 - first dot

400 - second dot

500 - third dot

LR Duplex Leupold on 7mm08 (when I set up to deer hunt I will range all these distances and it only requires me to lift put the right dot on target an pull trigger)
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,611 Senior Member
    LR Duplex Leupold on 7mm08 (when I set up to deer hunt I will range all these distances and it only requires me to lift put the right dot on target an pull trigger)

Whats your plan for 363 yards? Or, 437 yards?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Whats your plan for 363 yards? Or, 437 yards?

Like I did with my other LR scopes. Hold different - with my 7mm08 160gr bullet for 363 I hold just above center of mass than the center of mass when at 300 and for 437 I hold like I do at 400yds until 450. It works for me on deer size game and has not presented a problem yet. I have actually taken with my 30-06 and an LR coyote past 300 and no problems yet.