6.5 Creedmoor????

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
Does anybody own one yet? I was looking at a Ruger #1 and a TCA ICON PREC HUNTER in this caliber. I am a .308 fanatic, but wanted to try something new. I would reload of course.

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    .260 Remington. Do it! Do it now!Benefits of a 6.5 bullet with the ability of using your .308 brass. Nuf said. If I didn't already have a 6.5 cartridge, I'd have already built a .260 Remington.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • dannyrdannyr New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    you said you would reload, go for a 6.5x55 swedish mauser, awesome cal, low recoil, 260 rem if you don't reload
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,165 Senior Member
    The Creedmoor is a little shorter than the .260 - roughly the length of a .22-250 case. The idea of the round to give NRA Match Rifle shooters a round kicks less and is therefore faster back on target, that is more forgiving in wind, that will fit in a rifle with a .308 length magazine. It also holds onto velocity better, so having the bullet go subsonic before 1000 yards is not the concern that it can be with certain .308 loads. Yes, the .260 will do this, but probably not very comfortably with long match-grade bullets. The Creedmoor will basically give you .308 velocities with a slightly lighter bullet and a somewhat higher B.C.

For the NRA Highpower game, the round is already a proven kicker of butt, both it and the Tubb 2000 rifle holding several national records (including several perfect scores). Aside from the fact that Highpower is a game full of traditionalists, the Creedmoor seems to be taking over the winning circles of the game in much the same way the PPC's took over Benchrest.

Would I buy one for a hunting gun? Probably not. If there is no possibility of a timed rapid fire event where minimizing recoil and having a short bolt throw are factors, I would want a 6.5mm with a bigger case capacity.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    260 Rem great cartridge, easy to work with and is very accurate.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...probably not in a single-shot. Main point of the Creedmore (& 6.5X47) is to fit in a short action w/ long bullets while retaining case capacity w/ less taper/ sharper shoulder. In a single-shot I'd probably go w/ the 6.5X284 w/ it's too long for a short/ too short for a long action, very roomy case...
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member
    What game and or other uses are you considering?
    Distances?
    E
    WORLD T wrote: »
    Does anybody own one yet? I was looking at a Ruger #1 and a TCA ICON PREC HUNTER in this caliber. I am a .308 fanatic, but wanted to try something new. I would reload of course.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"