Home Main Category Personal Defense

Building an HD shotgun.

13»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes. We know. You have years and years of experience in shooting people and being shot, and if something is not exactly as you would have it, its wrong.
    My God, Im surprised that we can wipe our own asses without you specifing what brand of toilet paper and which hand to use.

Well we all cant have special shoes.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Thanks, man. I knew you had an angle.

So, you keep re using the same solution? I like that idea.

The finish on my 11-87 is getting thin, too...

I have reused the solution but found that if I don't use it reasonably soon after I mix it, it becomes weaker. It's a concentrate that contains nitric acid, phosphoric acid, and zinc and you have to mix distilled water with. I've seen the stuff sold by Brownell's and Midway and I suspect that it's all similar. I've had friends that added iron filings or steel wool to the solution to darken it but I've always used it as it comes as I kinda like the grey. I keep threatening to try the steel wool thing to darken it but I haven't done it yet. If I added anything to it, I wouldn't reuse the solution.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If someone / anyone could show Me that expensive Ninjy makeover / treatment made the shotgun more effective, I would do it in a heartbeat, I have shot shotguns with pistol grips, it takes some getting used to, you really appreciate it more in a personal defense type encounter, it is NOT a range (fun) gun.......

Or the side saddles, when are you ever going to have time to re-load a shotgun under fire ? I never have.... drop the empty shotgun and draw your sidearm......

OTOH, I do have a "Tactical" snicker :rotflmao: snicker snicker, Mossberg 500 Persuader shotgun with a pistol grip if I feel I need a high capacity magazine.

It's crap like this that rubs people the wrong way. It has nothing at all to do with the questions I asked. No useful information, not one thing germane to the conversation. Just more preaching of the word according to you. It's well established that you dislike shotgun add ons, or anything modern, or "ninjy" or " "Tactical" snicker, snicker, snicker,".

Insinuating that my idea to freshen up an abused old shotgun, (for virtually nothing out of pocket, I might add) and turn it into something, that I WANT, is ninjy or tacticool is quite insulting.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    In the immortal words of the late , great Rodney King , "Can't we all just get along?" :group:

No? :yesno:

OK , how about HD shotguns with beanbag loads at 30 paces! :guns:

And no ninja tricks , like jumping up and sticking to the walls upside down either! :punch:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    It's crap like this that rubs people the wrong way. It has nothing at all to do with the questions I asked. No useful information, not one thing germane to the conversation. Just more preaching of the word according to you. It's well established that you dislike shotgun add ons, or anything modern, or "ninjy" or " "Tactical" snicker, snicker, snicker,".

Insinuating that my idea to freshen up an abused old shotgun, (for virtually nothing out of pocket, I might add) and turn it into something, that I WANT, is ninjy or tacticool is quite insulting.

How did you manage getting the stuff for practically nothing???? Can you get me a new barrel for my broomhandle?

I've come over the years to realize that some people buy or have guns they feel they must alter to their likes/dislikes. They're like GI Joes, fine the way they are, but a little more suitable with the Kung Fu grip and the Combat underwater dive package. Got no problems with that, so long as they don't dismiss my preference for a clean gun, I won't dismiss their preferences for an accessoried gun.

It's fun to add things to things that already exist, which is probably why the first caveman added a stone point to his spear.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    I've come over the years to realize that some people buy or have guns they feel they must alter to their likes/dislikes. They're like GI Joes, fine the way they are, but a little more suitable with the Kung Fu grip and the Combat underwater dive package. Got no problems with that, so long as they don't dismiss my preference for a clean gun, I won't dismiss their preferences for an accessoried gun.

It's fun to add things to things that already exist, which is probably why the first caveman added a stone point to his spear.

I agree. Everyone's preferences are different, and I try to respect that. It's what keeps it interesting. In the past, I haven't been one to tinker with guns. I'm to the point where there really aren't any guns I need, and only a few that I want. It's fun to change and upgrade some of them, make them a little more suited to my tastes. Which usually involves making them more clean, slick, and functional.
    I've never had a shotgun that wasn't exactly as it left big green's factory. I have one for every conceivable hunting scenario, multiple in fact. The whole idea of a dedicated, purpose built home defense shotgun is breaking new ground for me.

As for the virtually nothing out of pocket, the whole premise of the build (which I haven't done yet) is to sell of the almost pristine condition Wingmaster stocks on ebay, and use the proceeds for the upgrades. If I keep the cost of the upgrades equal to the proceeds, I'll only have $220 and my time in it.

I looked for similar new guns, they start at $319 for a basic one with a bead sight, and at least $379 (more like $419-479)for one similar to what I'll end up with.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I can understand and relate to that. I was last in line when they were handing out tactfulness. Seems there was none left when my turn came up.

That being said, I will voice my opinion and experience without remorse. Take it or leave it, I'll hold no punches.

It's one thing to voice an opinion/ experience/ idea, and another to poopoo someone elses. Yet another to do it over........ and over...... and over...... and over..... and over............. and over....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I humbly apologize to all for being a blow hard and an old goat, the reason I feel the way I do, stems from playing with accessories when I worked at the range / gun-shop, I would load them on a gun and get tired of them and replace them with the OEM stuff....

Forget everything I have said and Rock on !!!! :cool2:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    There are a few alterations that stayed and I feel are useful, depending on need.

Weapon Mounted Light - I will always advocate a weapon mounted light for anything other than concealed carry. They are just too darn useful. Period! Not always needed, but when they are........sure beats pulling a flashlight out of ones butt.

Side Saddle - Yep, there are very few situations where more ammo is a bad idea. Again, not always needed, but when it is............it's much better than curse words and a harsh stare.

Ghost Ring Sights - Of course! Besides, I'm a slug kinda guy. I've seen the result of buck shot and I've seen the result of slugs. I'll take slugs, thank you. GRS give you the option to use both. A bead pretty much renders your shotgun exactly that.......a SHOTgun. Too many variables to try and use a bead sight with slugs for anything other than in your face distance. With GR sights, you can use buck or slugs as needed.

All that being said, I have one shotgun set up to what I consider "perfect" standards. Another one is still spaceage but soon to be stripped down. A third is still about as plane Jane as can be except for a side saddle. That is simply because of it's history and the fact that there aren't many options for that model.

I've run the gamut of shotgun accessories. The three mentioned above have stood the real world test and get a thumbs up from me. Everything else is bling.

Thanks, Zed.
    No use for extended magazines?
    I still can't wrap me pea brain around the idea of having a light shining off the end of my gun, inside my house. It seems to me that would provide an excellent target for whomever I'm looking for. But, I'm not trained in their use, either.

I've been looking for GR sights that are a direct replacement for the rifle sights on the barrel, but haven't had much luck. They're probably out of the current budget, anyhow.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Yes, I'll run with a mag extension if there is room. 1 of mine has the factory full length magazine for an 18" defensive barrel. Another one had the add on extension. The third one, well, it's too short for an extension. The extensions are nice, but you can take the plug out and hold 5 in most shotguns. Then with the side saddle, have plenty of rounds. Light? You just have to keep in mind, it's not a flashlight. It's a target illuminator. Light comes on......ID your target......shoot your target......turn off the light.......off-line.........turn on the light........reassess the target........re-engage as needed.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thanks again. I kinda figured it was something along those lines.

My concern with a mag extension, and or side saddle. I'm not worried about it for my sake. I can load an 870 in the dark, one arm tied.
    My wife, not so much. She has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands, and her hands are weak, even by girl standards.
    Safety, trigger, slide, no problem. Manipulating shotgun shells under duress? Highly doubtful.
    My thought is to put the biggest extension I can on it, in case. When it's empty, she's pretty much done, if she hasn't made her way to a different area.

There's some freak running around town a few miles from here.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/11/creeper-has-hilltop-folks-on-edge-as-cases-mount.html
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    From the wife standpoint, keep in mind that a mag extension full of shells increases the weight forward. This may, or may not, make it more difficult for her to shoulder and aim the weapon. There may be too much weight up front for her to handle.

Just something to consider.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Perhaps a magazine fed shotgun is better for her ???
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    From the wife standpoint, keep in mind that a mag extension full of shells increases the weight forward. This may, or may not, make it more difficult for her to shoulder and aim the weapon. There may be too much weight up front for her to handle.

Just something to consider.
    That's a great point. We'll definitely test that aspect, it could well be a no go for that reason.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Perhaps a magazine fed shotgun is better for her ???

Yep, in a way. The whole idea of defending herself is pretty new to her, she's had a sheep mindset most of her life. As such, she's much more familiar with shotguns, at this point. She's been around them.
    She likes shooting the AR, but she's no where near confident, or competent with it, yet. It's still scary to her. Baby steps.
  • dlistellodlistello New Member Posts: 4 New Member
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    I guess mine ain't tacticool enough- 1978 Wingmaster

IMG_1338.jpg

Sure works well though, loaded with 8 rounds of buckshot
    Looks cool to me!

FWIW, mine is currently sporting a Magpul fore end, a Shurshot stock, and a Remington 3 shot mag extension. All of that is probably coming off, soon, and it's going back to original configuration, and getting sold to fund another project. I picked up 2 surplus Ohio State Highway Patrol shotguns. 870 Police Magnum, 21" rifle sighted barrel, 8 shot, side saddle, speed feed stocks. Cheap. Barely used. The LGS had 1400 of them.
    It also lets an intruder know that you are awake, armed, and he now has a very good general idea of your exact location based off the noise he just heard. In other words, he now knows exactly what to expect, and where to expect it from.

When I pump a shotgun, the sound it makes is rack/BANG !!!!! dead badguy....
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    It also lets an intruder know that you are awake, armed, and he now has a very good general idea of your exact location based off the noise he just heard. In other words, he now knows exactly what to expect, and where to expect it from.

You make that sound like a bad thing. If John Bad Guy hears that, he better know he's got a foot in the grave. If he doesn't understand, it's something he won't learn from six feet down.

And just my ¢.02, HD for me is my 870 12 gauge TAC model, don't need side saddle. If 4 shots aren't enough, even for a couple of intruders, better just get a German Shepard, it'll give ya time to call 911.

Rootbrain