Home Main Category Hunting

Educate me on Texas hog hunting

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
I've only hunted hogs a couple of times and those were culling hunts at a base where I was stationed on the west coast back in the mid-80's. They were feral hogs and we were told they were not safe to eat because of parasites. We just shot them and left them for the scavengers.

I've got an offer to go hog hunting courtesy of a buddy of mine in Texas, who says he can set me up on a private ranch near Ft. Worth where the guy wants the hogs to get cleaned out. I asked if they were safe to eat and he didn't know. I don't really want to spend the time and effort unless I get some meat out of it and I don't how to tell by just looking so does anybody know for sure? If I go, I'll probably take my Ruger .308 or use it as an excuse to buy a new Savage Hog Hunter. :guns:

What say you?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,555 Senior Member
    I've never heard of a "healthy" feral hog being unsafe to eat.
    The main parasite I know of that gets a lot of "press", especially word of mouth, is trichinosis. Properly cooking the meat takes care of that though
    http://health.yahoo.net/health/trichinosis
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Shoot and eat.....they're safe. It still puzzles me why we don't cull the darned things and feed the homeless.....they (the pigs) are a problem, and nobody but a practicing Muslim will turn down a McRib!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    Never heard about unsafe hogs- I have eaten a lot of feral pig and never had an issue. Only thing I know is that the bigger old boars smell bad, and the meat is very tough and gamey. Most people round here let the scavengers have the old ones, and eat the smaller animals.

Hogs are considered vermin or livestock, so you can take them any way you want to. Spotlights, full auto, suppressors, traps, etc... any way to get them on the ground- no limit.

Hogs have a reputation of being bulletproof. that is more of a function of the anatomy of a hog more than anything else.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Shoot and eat.....they're safe. It still puzzles me why we don't cull the darned things and feed the homeless.....they (the pigs) are a problem, and nobody but a practicing Muslim will turn down a McRib!

Let's not forget our Jewish brethren. I'm pretty sure that pork is still a big no-no for them.

Other than that, I have nothing to offer, as I've never hunted hogs. I've killed a few javelina, and can tell you that the young ones and sows are ok as table fare. The old boars are not fit to eat.

Whatever you do, good luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Really? I didn't think Judaism had a thing against pork-meat.....just the fasting and the sabbath.

I've had roasted Russian Boar in Germany....but those pigs are 4 ft at the shoulder.....had a pig pop up on the tank range.....we were about to pop it till it moved laterally....and then the BMP panel popped up next to it. That was one big pig!!!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Cloven hoof and cheweth the cud... Pigs don't do the latter.

Unclean.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Beef and mutton will be healthy to eat rare, or at least underdone. I think the Old Testament (and Muslim) prohibition on eating pork was more of a health thing if truth be known. A lot of the biblical taboos were more common sense than religious dogma when bare bones scientific reasoning gets applied to the scriptures.
    Jerry
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Let's not forget our Jewish brethren. I'm pretty sure that pork is still a big no-no for them.

Pfft... I just saw my jewish buddy eat a bunch of chili that had 2 different kinds of pork in it. Not all of them stay off the trayf.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,988 Senior Member
    If someone keeps Kosher they cannot eat pork or shellfish, among other restrictions like not mixing meat and dairy on the same plate. In some homes they keep separate plates for meat and dairy dishes, and yes it is strict and was done for health reasons. Another example is beef can only be from the front of the cow if it is Kosher. I guess the rear half was "dirty".

Having said that it's all fine until the bacon wrapped cheese stuffed scallops come around on the hors d'ouevres plate. Personally I like a ham and cheese sandwich, but I am Lutheran... then again there is the applewood smoked bacon and eggs...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
    Ken I think it is like everything else, it has to be properly cooked.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    I dont give a rats patutti if there is a section of society that wont eat pork................it means more bacon for those of us that love it.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The oldtime country comedian Dave Gardner used to have a BUNCH of pork/Jewish related jokes. "Did ya ever slip something into somebody's grocery cart, and watch what happens at the checkout lane? Try a ham during Passover!" He also had one about "Kosher pickled pigs' feet"! Funny guy!
    Jerry
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,314 Senior Member
    I've eaten my fair share (and probably a bit more) of Texas wild hogs that were shot just NW of Ft. Worth. No problems. In fact, I'd swap whitetail meat at a 2:1 ratio for wild north Texas pig.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I've eaten my fair share (and probably a bit more) of Texas wild hogs that were shot just NW of Ft. Worth. No problems. In fact, I'd swap whitetail meat at a 2:1 ratio for wild north Texas pig.

Mike

Okay - thanks everybody. Not sure if this will really happen but if I get the chance I'll go and hopefully bring back some meat. Mike, the area you mentioned is about where the ranch is where I'd be hunting.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,314 Senior Member
    The shop foreman where I used to work in Louisiana had a good friend that was a member of a high-$$ lease just NW of FW. While my friend never got the opportunity to hunt deer there, he was always invited along on the hog cull hunts.

They'd load up four-wheelers with semi-auto rifles and bullets and go after hogs. One morning, about five minutes after they'd cranked up the wheelers, they had a huge group of pigs bail out of a ditch right beside them. When the smoke cleared, they had 19 down!!! He said he started cleaning hogs at nine in the morning and didn't finish till eleven that night.

He said that was a really long day................

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull