Home Main Category Hunting

Well....it's a start. Definitely my longest shot to date.

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
Went out to the lease this last weekend and managed to get a doe. This week 17th-23rd does are legal on private property hre in Florida where our lease is. Sorry but no pcs since my wife borrowed my camera.

I was VERY happy with the shot though. I aimed at the base of the neck when she dipped her head to nibble on something and hit approximately 1" high and 1/4" to the right of my aim point which put the bullet right between her shoulder blades through her spine. Dropped her on the spot. Range was right around 175 yds. since I paced it at 180 paces and my stride is amost exactly 3'.

I was using my heavy barreled Ruger M77 in .308 shooting Hornady custom 150 gr SST's. I'm zeroed at 200 yds so the 1" high was simply due to the range since I did not try to guess the hold under.

Luis
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Congrats Luis.
    What was your furthest shot before this?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    90 yards Ernie. Unless you hunt clear cuts or roads there aren't many shots over 50-70 yds here in Florida. Heck, my first Deer I shot with a 12 ga with 00 Buckshot at *maybe* 30 yds.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Up until about 3 years ago my longest shot on a deer ( Fallow) was 116yds...........then I took one at the same distance you just did ( 175yds) with my 222. I know how 'stoked' I was when I made that shot so I know how you feel.

Congratulations on your achievement, its one thing to punch holes in paper at that range but an entirely different feeling when you take game further than you have done in the past.

( I have 'stretched out' further since then but still remember the buzz I got at 175yds.)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    That was almost double the distance!
    Imagine how you will feel when you double it next time:tooth:
    Jeeper wrote: »
    90 yards Ernie. Unless you hunt clear cuts or roads there aren't many shots over 50-70 yds here in Florida. Heck, my first Deer I shot with a 12 ga with 00 Buckshot at *maybe* 30 yds.

Luis
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »

I'm zeroed at 200 yds so the 1" high was simply due to the range since I did not try to guess the hold under.

Luis

Yes, that is a very good shot and you put your cross hairs in middle of mass and pulled the trigger trusting your ballistics and did not try some kind of hold over at that distance. Very good choice and once again you should be proud of yourself. You now have confidence now knowing you can make some long shots. Good stuff, congrats :that::up:
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Took this Gemsbok at 309 this past August...

Farthest deer I've shot was 285 yards in Alabama....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Yes, that is a very good shot and you put your cross hairs in middle of mass and pulled the trigger trusting your ballistics and did not try some kind of hold over at that distance. Very good choice and once again you should be proud of yourself. You now have confidence now knowing you can make some long shots. Good stuff, congrats :that::up:

TY Beartracker. I waited til she was facing directly towards me, so when she dipped her head to eat, I knew that even if I missed the spine shot I was going for, that it would punch through into the chest area for a good heart/lung hit. Honestly, I just didn't expect for the shot to be *that* precise since I'm usually grouping~3/4" at 100 yds.

TY Ernie, I know I won't hesitate to stretch out to 300 yds now if the opportunity presents itself, but it will likely be awhile before anything that long happens here. Like I mentioned earlier, *most* of my hunting is done with a carbine at well under 100 yds. Someday I intend to make it out your way and try for some antelope and some of those huge deer you have out in your part of the country though. Antelope, Mulies, and eventually an Elk, are on my "to do" list.

Luis
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Well done Luis!

I need to find myself a lease next year
    NRA Benefactor Member