Home Main Category Hunting

Last nights Hunt was a little boar-ing

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Got back out to the ranch last night and finally bagged something besides a coyote. A out 5:30 this big boar hog walked out a out 175 yards down the road. I don't know how but he saw me put my rifle in the window and took off running, lucky for me it was straight down the road. I dropped him at about 200 yards with a Texas heart shot before he could get back in the brush.

Rifle used was a Remington 700 in .308 this is a custom rifle I built a couple years ago with a shilen barrel, surgeon bottom metal, Timney trigger and Leupold VX3 6.5-20 LR scope.
70DB1BDE-724D-4D8F-9BFB-26C5F40D7D13-4439-00001026E08F205B.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    Very nice, Tim!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    "Oh George, not the livestock..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
    Great shooting.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,781 Senior Member
    That's a nice piggy. Excellent work!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Nice shot and a nice rig too-I like it
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Tim, that is awesome, great shot, good looking rifle and nice hog indeed. Awesome, proud of you getting him before he broke back in the bush. Hey Tim, I didn't know you were a surgeon, great work on the hemroids, you cut them off beautifully, and I see you did not charge the hog much for the work -:jester: :worthy::cool::that:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Bacon!:applause:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Probably not "bacon", Slant. Unless that boar has been cut it'll be a little rank eating the meat. My opinion, anyway.

But way to go, timc! Kill 'em all!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Probably not "bacon", Slant. Unless that boar has been cut it'll be a little rank eating the meat. My opinion, anyway.

Yep the big boars are too nasty for me but hey coyotes gotta eat too!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member

You know us Asians, we'll eat pretty much anything!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    :jester:! You may be right about that! I grow several different vegetables for our local Asian population, and one called "Bitter Gourd" is plain YUCK :vomit: God but how anyone could eat that stuff is beyond me! A few others that I grow-lufa, snake and bottle gourds-are passable, but not really great IMO! Have just started growing a few for our local Russian community, also, which is a large group due to our local large state university. Just got some seeds straight from Russia for Sorrel (never even heard of this stuff) and Russian Radish and just planted both. Had a good laugh last spring over one of the ladies from the Philippines who smuggled some seeds past Customs in her panties! Were supposed to be from a very rare heirloom tomato from one isolated valley in the Philippines.....turned out to be regular oriental eggplant! Told her that maybe I needed to check to make sure she wasn't still carrying the tomato seeds :tooth:! (Planting foreign seeds is lawful as long as the seeds are certified and in company packets :wink:).

Sorry.....didn't mean to derail the Topic! It's Slant's fault!
    I usually eat boars all the way up to 250 pounds. I just grind the the meat and it turns out fine.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Good Hustle!

Looks like some pulled pork pretty soon.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Zee wrote: »
    I usually eat boars all the way up to 250 pounds. I just grind the the meat and it turns out fine.

This one was out of your eating range!:jester:
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Nice boar, congrats. I'm curious about the load to drop one that large on a 200 yd. departing shot (a.k.a., Tx. heart shot). What bullet did you use and was it a handload (specs) or a factory load?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    shooter wrote: »
    Nice boar, congrats. I'm curious about the load to drop one that large on a 200 yd. departing shot (a.k.a., Tx. heart shot). What bullet did you use and was it a handload (specs) or a factory load?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Hand loads were used, 165 grain Sierra game king BTHP pushed by 40.7 grains of IMR4895.
    I'm getting 2630 fps muzzle velocity out of the 26" Shilen barrel.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    What is it about American porkers that make them so bad beyond a certain weight? I've had Russian boar in Germany that dressed out 350 lbs....and it was good stuff.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Were the ones you had in Deutschland cut? That makes all the difference in the world.
    cpj wrote: »
    :blatantautocensorbypasspleasegivemepoeticlicense:
    Considering the shot you made, you should have used the Hornady ...........assassT.

LOL
    What do you mean by cut Rich? Neutered? or hang-bled? Far as I know, the big one that got accidently shot on the range.....was roasted on a pit of coals for 30 min a side while it was mummified in foil....all my cooking duty was was to throw water on the flare-ups when the fat seeped through.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    He means neutered.
    Thanks for clarifying Buff....far as I know, this was a wild pig....what does neutering do to the meat....lack of testosterone in the muscles?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,560 Senior Member
    Nice shooting tex :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sorry, 5280....local expressions are sometimes confusing! Down here in the Deep South, including the Southern Mountains "whar I growed up", we refer to a boar that has been castrated as having been "cut". You'll also hear the "cut" hog as being referred to as a "Barr". It is common for wild or feral boars to be trapped, cut and released to put on weight and produce meat that isn't rank with male testosteron. Makes it actually fit to eat where otherwise a 2+ year old 200+ pound boar being cooked would almost run you out of the kitchen with its odor! Usually, actually about 100% of the time, when a boar is trapped, cut and released, the ears will be bobbed enough to tell that the boar is now a barr! That way when you have an opportunity to bust a feral hog you may want to let it walk if the ears aren't bobbed. But don't ever let a feral hog "walk"! If you can't make a clean kill just gut shoot it and let Nature run its course with diseases! Sounds rough, I know, but those of us in the wildlife biology/management community can give you horror stories about the damage that feral hogs do to the wildlife environment!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain that Woods..I appreciate learning something new to me. :up:
    Woodsrunner,

Why 'gut shoot' the hog? Why not just shoot it behind or through the shoulder like you normally would? Dead is dead, if that is your ultimate goal.
    :popcorn:
    Zee wrote: »
    Woodsrunner,

Why 'gut shoot' the hog? Why not just shoot it behind or through the shoulder like you normally would? Dead is dead, if that is your ultimate goal.

I agree, I try for a DRT shot on all pigs and song dogs. I would much rather not have them stinking up my hunting area. We have a small area where we take all unwanted varmints to rest. The coyotes are used to it after so many years and check it regularly for food. Rarely will there be anything left after 2-3 days.
    Please, Fellas! RE-READ what I said...."If you can't make a clean kill just gut shoot it"! Kill it dead on the spot if you can, certainly, but if the hog is doing 40MPH running away from you then do the best that you can to severly wound it beyond recovery! I've beat my drum and pounded my tamborine on this subject over and over to the point I'm sure some say "Here He Goes Again"! But unless you've worked in forest and wildlife management/wildlife biology you most probably don't have first-hand experience knowing how totally devastating feral hogs are to the natural environment! Want more and healthier deer and turkey? Don't worry about coyotes! Eradicate feral hogs to the best of your ability! Breamfisher also has a wildlife biological background.....get his opinion,too!
    I think that's what I said too.