Home Main Category Hunting

Blooded Another Rifle Today

snake284-1snake284-1 Senior MemberPosts: 2,500 Senior Member
I shot a doe in the Sendero at my lease today at about 200 yards from the blind. My grandson was with me. Here's some pics. Note how we skinned it.

As you can see, the camera was an after thought as you can see by the skinned strip on the neck. As I was getting it prepared to pull it off with the car, my grandson reminded me of taking some pics.

IMG_0221.jpg

After I cut around the neck and down to the chest, I cut the skin from the front legs and pulled it down just below them. Then I put a golf ball under the skin and tied a rope around it and hooked the other end to the trailer hitch on my wife's truck bumper. I used my Suburban to hoist the deer up and hold it while preparing it to skin and also to keep it hanging while gutting and quartering it and I used my wife's GMC Canyon to pull the skin off with the rope tied around the golf ball and to the Canyon's trailer hitch. The skin will come off much easier pulling it from the head-neck down to it's back legs than the way most people do it from the back legs down to the head-neck. And the use of a vehicle to pull it off is even easier. I used the two vehicles because I didn't have much to tie the deer off after I had it hanging. I need to rig me up a proper boom in the back yard if I keep killing deer.

Pic of it skinned.

IMG_0223.jpg
I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Good to see you had some success Mike. Have skinned them that way myself a couple of times. Must admit though, I still enjoy 'quiet time' in my shed with a fresh deer carcase and a skinning knife..............may take a while compared to the golf ball method but it gives me more time to ponder on lifes mysteries. Its quite therepeutic actually .

So when is the BBQ???
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have a friend that skins them that way. I have never bothered to try, since I am always by myself and skin and quarter in the field. I never have anything very substantial to hang one from.

Congratulations on the meat deer. I'll be trying again tomorrow, and will be perfectly satisfied with a nice doe. We can only shoot does on Thanksgiving Day through Sunday.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Congrats Mike :worthy:
    I'm headed out in a few minutes for a brief hunt before having to come back for the festivities
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Congrats Mike
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    Nice work.

I have skinned one from the neck down once.
    I prefer the other way.

So was it a .270?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'm headed out in a few minutes for a brief hunt before having to come back for the festivities

Good to hear your hunting Paul
    Congratulations Mike...nice to see the grandson along
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    ............may take a while compared to the golf ball method but it gives me more time to ponder on lifes mysteries. Its quite therepeutic actually .

I agree - the skinning is part of the whole 'hunting experience,' and I don't find it unpleasant, at all. I never did enjoy the immasculation part, though. :tooth:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Yeah, I had planned on going out this morning with the grandson again, but we were both pretty well beat after yesterday. We'll do it tomorrow. Good luck Paul.
    Thanks Gator and Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Nice work.

I have skinned one from the neck down once.
    I prefer the other way.

So was it a .270?
    NO! NO! NO! Now try to stay with me here, :uhm:. (Must a been all that time Ned spent at high altitude back in the day!)

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I said .257 Roberts Ackley Improved!!! It's like a smaller version of a .25-06!!!

All I know is that it seems to work very nicely. Both my little quarterbores seem to kill real efficiently, especially with that 115 grain Combined Technologies bullet.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Good to hear your hunting Paul
    Congratulations Mike...nice to see the grandson along

Thanks Weatherby, and yes, it's great to have grandsons to take hunting. I'm Lovin' it and I have another one that is not quite 2 who will be ready in about 10 more years.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Titleist??

Ya know, I didn't pay any attention, but I think you're right. It was in my wife's practice ball bucket. All I know is it was Parr for the course, :jester:
    orchidman wrote: »
    Good to see you had some success Mike. Have skinned them that way myself a couple of times. Must admit though, I still enjoy 'quiet time' in my shed with a fresh deer carcase and a skinning knife..............may take a while compared to the golf ball method but it gives me more time to ponder on lifes mysteries. Its quite therepeutic actually .

So when is the BBQ???

I hear ya Alec. But the problem here and why I didn't have the luxury of time was the ambient temperature here. It was in the 80s until about 8 PM last night and I wanted to get her on ice fast. That's the beauty of the Golf Ball method, is that it's fast and it does a great job. But one message here is that skinning from the top down is that it seems smoother and easier than from the bottom towards the head. Try it sometime and think about how easily the skin seems to strip off. When I skin from the butt toward the head, I'm continually having to shave membrane to free the skin. When you do it from the neck back it seems to peel off better. Also, my grandson wanted the hyde and I figured doing it this way wouldn't mess it up as much.
    bisley wrote: »
    I agree - the skinning is part of the whole 'hunting experience,' and I don't find it unpleasant, at all. I never did enjoy the immasculation part, though. :tooth:

Yeah, no joke. I hate that part. If I could have my way I'd just as soon that it weren't part of the "Hunting Experience."

However, infortunately there ain't much gettin around it, :vomit: Whether we like it or not it IS part of the experience.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Congratulations, Mike.

Not only for taking a nice deer, but for taking your grandson along.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Congrats Snake, to you and your Grandson. I'm envious. My Dad and older brother and I had a hunting tradition at Thanksgiving time for many years (upland game), usually pheasants & rabbits. Dad passed away in 82 and my bro in 01, so it's all just a fond memory.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    shooter wrote: »
    Congrats Snake, to you and your Grandson. I'm envious. My Dad and older brother and I had a hunting tradition at Thanksgiving time for many years (upland game), usually pheasants & rabbits. Dad passed away in 82 and my bro in 01, so it's all just a fond memory.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Shooter, and I wish you many more fond memories to be made in the future.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    But one message here is that skinning from the top down is that it seems smoother and easier than from the bottom towards the head. Try it sometime and think about how easily the skin seems to strip off.

I agree.......

The method I was taught was to hang the deer by its back legs , start skinning from either side of the belly until you reach the spine, then, using your fist, punch the skin 'upwards' and off the back till you reach the tail. 'Punch' down the back legs till free ( having slit down the inside of each leg). You will then have the rear half of the skin hanging down towards the ground. Grab the end of the loose skin in one hand ( Having cut down the inside of the front legs) and pull towards the ground. Depending on the size of the deer, I sometimes hold the end of the loose skin in one hand, make a 'loop' in the rest of the loose skin, put one foot on it and push towards the ground.

The front half of a deer will skin 'cleanly' by pulling towards the head........the rear part by pulling towards the tail....But I wouldnt be surprised if that would be the 'wrong' way to skin the deer you guys have over there...............I mean, you drive on the wrong side of the road, bastardize the English language, call scones 'biscuits' and call biscuits 'cookies' not to mention many other 'sins' against humanity.....................:tooth:

Which is to be expected I guess, seeing as how you live in the past.............:rotflmao:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    MIKE, nice doe glad you took your grandson along

ALAC, blimey mate ya forgot a propeller is an airscrew, landing gear is an alighting carrage, a bonnett a hood, and a pint a beer.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    So glad your grandson was with you.
    Congrats on a deer down.
    May day has been spent grilling elk steak, steak, hot links, and sausage and good times with family and friends.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yeah, and our part of the world is turning the wrong way too!!!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    NO! NO! NO! Now try to stay with me here, :uhm:. (Must a been all that time Ned spent at high altitude back in the day!)

I said .257 Roberts Ackley Improved!!! It's like a smaller version of a .25-06!!!

All I know is that it seems to work very nicely. Both my little quarterbores seem to kill real efficiently, especially with that 115 grain Combined Technologies bullet.
    Where in the OP did you mention what rifle?
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations Mike! Great pictures too. Is that how wimmen get them skin tight jeans off? Inquiring minds want to know.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Pretty much how we do it around here (those of us not completely ate up by sorriness) except I've always field dressed it where I find it, then take it back to camp to skin and quarter. Have to say I love that Butt-Out gadget. Makes field dressing alot cleaner for me!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    All right, meat on the table, sweet!

I'm heading back out tomorrow for a week, we'll see how it goes.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    Congradulation! I hunt in Ca. The temps are usually close to 90 degrees. Getting a deer into the cooler is critical and yellow jackets are a real problem. I never saw that way of skinning a deer. You can bet I'll try it next year. Thanks for sharing. Good luck on the next hunt.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Congratulations Mike! Great pictures too. Is that how wimmen get them skin tight jeans off? Inquiring minds want to know.

I just asked Rikki that question and she said it depends on how big your golf ball is. Now you know
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Nice Snake, very nice, congrats on the successfull hunt. Good to see the Grand kid with ya too. Man I love doing things like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So let me ask the age old question:

WHATS FOR DINNER?
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Titleist??

Naw!!!!!!!!!!!! Spaulding, Ted Williams, Store Brand:jester::rotflmao:
    "It is what it is":usa: