Home Main Category Clubhouse

For you motorcycle fans out there.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberA true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,393 Senior Member
The Isle of Man 'TT'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph0SjLC_lqk&feature=colike

I am surprised they can sit on their bikes with the size of their 'junk'.......
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    WOOHOO! Pulling wheelies and getting airborne a those speeds- - - - -I see why they call those things "crotch rockets"!
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    TT is my 2nd favorite right behind F1.

The pinnacle of both forms.
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member MainePosts: 149 Member
    1:58 is pucker factor big time! Not for amateurs!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Damn:yikes:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Mahalo for posting that Alec. My favorite race. Bellaugh Bridge, the Ballacraine and other historic spots. Watching a racer rip the shoulder of his leathers clipping a stone wall and continue on without missing a beat. Guys flying through the air off the lip of the bridge at triple digits. Pure excitement.

And, of course watching Joey Dunlop beat the youngsters at a young man's game. RIP Joey.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Where's the Harleys?

Looks like some real purdy scenery! Those guys are going way too fast to enjoy it.

I think they still run a 'vintage' race too.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Damn, you gotta' have very large 'junk' for that kind of race.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    3:49 is around where I was puckering. That guy was riding around a corner on one wheel! Looks fun to watch, but honestly, at 200mph, why even wear any of the safety gear? That helmet at that speed would be the difference between splatting, or punching a hole through then splatting.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Put any of those boy on a Yamha 250 and send them out into a desert for 1000 miles.....then let's see who'e king S***!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Put any of those boy on a Yamha 250 and send them out into a desert for 1000 miles.....then let's see who'e king S***!

There have been a few riders who ran the IoM and the Paris-Dakar and Bol D'or.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Atlanta GaPosts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Joey Dunlop was my hero for years. I planned to go one year to watch but the cost to do it in style was expensive. Catching air over **** Bridge(spelling?) at those speeds was crazy for sure. Safety equipment yes but it wouldn't do much good if you fall and hit a house or wall at 150mph. Nothing can save you with no runoff. Its not the fall that will get you it's the sudden stop that does. Motocycles are so fast these days this classic race has killed over 230 racers. Hailwood, Asgostini and Dunlop were the best. The Isle of Mann was part of the world championship in the old days but no longer. This video is awesome but 200 mph on a two lane road through the trees is nuts. It's dangerous to climb Mt Everest to but people still do it. What a show! Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    I forgot to add World Rally.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,575 Senior Member
    My grat grand parents were from Isle of Mann, my mom watched the race once when looking up relatives, she was impressed enough to buy me a very cool promotional poster, hung it up right next to Bob Hannah on his YZ.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    My grat grand parents were from Isle of Mann, my mom watched the race once when looking up relatives, she was impressed enough to buy me a very cool promotional poster, hung it up right next to Bob Hannah on his YZ.

Hannah was the man!!!

I'm sure you remember Jeff Ward and Ricky Johnson also?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,575 Senior Member
    Vaguely, you are challengeing my middle aged brain cells, Hannah was so dominant when I was paying more attention in junior high when he was getting most of the press. Bob was the first one to break his leg on the circuit wearing those new fangled Scott boots everyone thought were bullet proof, me and my friends wanted a pair of those so bad, 200$ was a pile of money in 1979. We all wanted to get our inside foot down on some of the turns on the fireroads and stay on the gas, harder to do in your leather hunting boots:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member San Luis Valley, CoPosts: 564 Senior Member
    :applause:Good grief! :yikes: To race at the Isle of Man was one of my wildest dreams when I was a young man. Maybe it's a good thing it didn't pan out! Hanging out at Lonnie's Cycle Shop in Nashville in the '50s was a bad influence on me!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    mosseybuck wrote: »
    :applause:Good grief! :yikes: To race at the Isle of Man was one of my wildest dreams when I was a young man. Maybe it's a good thing it didn't pan out! Hanging out at Lonnie's Cycle Shop in Nashville in the '50s was a bad influence on me!

Do you remember the Fats McCullough Harley shop out on Charlotte Avenue? It's gone now, but back in the late 1930's when dad was riding a big Harley 80 flathead, he says a guy rode an Indian Chief through the plate glass front window from inside the store when he got confused about the shift pattern, which was different than his Harley!
    Jerry
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member San Luis Valley, CoPosts: 564 Senior Member
    The name rings a bell but I don't remember having been there. Lonnie's was only a few miles from my home in Woodbine and I hung out there a lot. I have some old home movies from late '30's that my dad took at the fairgrounds track when it was dirt. Mostly Harleys and a few Indians, pretty impressive for the time. Lonnie's was an Aeriel dealer and I tried desperately to figure out how to afford an Aeriel Square Four but it never happened. They are still awesome bikes but rare and $$$$ when you find one for sale.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    The flat-track bikes were mostly 45 cubic inch flatheads. The Indians usually ran off and left the Harleys on flat dirt- - - -lighter weight and more RPM's.

We ran a '34 Ford 3-window coupe with a flathead engine and alcohol on the old fairgrounds dirt track during the state fair for a few years in the early 1950's. It was a 1-mile, totally flat horse track left over from pre-war days that got so dusty after a few laps that nobody could see where they were going. Dad quit racing there in 1955- - - -too dangerous, and Frank Reed was killed there during the 1956 race. That shut the track down until they built the high-banked 1/2 mile asphalt track which opened in about 58 or 59. That one was deadly, too. 35 degree banks, and drivers in the turns couldn't see the upcoming straightaways. "World's fastest 1/2 mile"! They stretched it to 5/8 mile in the late 1970's, and dropped the banks to 18 degrees. I sponsored cars there in the early 1990's.
    Jerry