Home Main Category Hunting

Who here has to hunt with special restrictions?

2»

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Elk-Either sex, unit 551-4th season-Rifle.....hold my Goldmember....
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    HIP around here refers to the migratory bird act...

Harvest Information Program
    Elk-Either sex, unit 551-4th season-Rifle.....hold my Goldmember....

Figured you would know the reference. :D
    cpj wrote: »
    HIP#? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

And yes, Colorados laws are confusing. No need for all that crap. Folks (residents) that think otherwise are simply used to the insanity.

HIP....Havest Information Program....used to survey Migratory bird hunting.....but those of us with an annual small game/fishing license need a # cause coyote are considered small game though you can shoot one if you have an open big game license and shoot it with a caliber larger than .24"

Of course our laws are confusing.....a bunch of transplanted Californians are in charge......we make the reg book thick enough to keep people in jobs.....and we really just want y'all to stay away and hunt in your own state.....:tooth:

No seriously....everyone's welcome to hunt with us.....if you're prepped for a marathon with 1/2 the oxygen than you're used to.....We're a little light-headed here.....and now they made Pot legal.....who knows what we'll come up with next!

MHS is the man for the research.....he want's to explore every option.....I just look at the book and pick the code I want for the time and area...send my money in, and get my tag. Used to be easier....we'd get a cow tag by draw, then buy an OTC bull tag....but that's when we hunted 3rd (general) season.

Climate change and hunting pressure.....we go 4th now...less people, let the weather push them closer down....more sporting cause they've been shot at for damn near a month. Makes hunting a beeatch....but it's a REAL hunt....not waiting in a stand for them to come by.....you actually have to SEARCH....patrol the ridges....learn to read the tracks, droppings and urine...were they just moving or flushed......watch the meadows....understand the topography of map.....you have to go after THEM! They're elusive and move fast....you just have to be sneakier or damn lucky!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Means you can't go after them with your .223 AR with your license....but if you see one, you can take it with your big-game rifle....caliber restriction here is .243 and up for big game....since I also hold a small game/fish license...I can use a .223 AR....but can't be hunting big game with it. Really not as confusing as it sounds....but guess we're just used to that.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,859 Senior Member
    So what do ylu mean by shooting a yote with something than. 24?

Lets say you have an elk tag and your 7-08, and you have not shot an elk. Coyotes are fair game with what you have in your hands, no extra license. Now, you've shot and tagged your elk. Now to shoot a coyote, you have to use something smaller then 6mm and have a small game license. If there is not a big game rifle season going on, you can use any gun you want, but still have to have the 25$ small game license.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

The only thing I would ever have to call in would be if I shot a bobcat. You have to call in and I THINK have it tagged by a conservation agent. Or at least call it in. Not sure why, and I have never shot one so I dont know fo -sho.

The tag on a bobcat is a CITES tag. You have to have them tagged to ensure they are not a lynx. River otters need the tag to ensure they are not sea otters. There are other species but I can't remember...maybe fisher.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Ya know what pisses me off Tim is that some counties don't have the 13 inch rule per se, they have the ear rule. If the ears at allert position fit inside the main beams it's good. I like that better. And it is very true, this management theory is improving the heard throughout the state. But it can be a PIA. I had to pass on a nice 6 point the other morning because he was only about 11 inches wide. But his rack was VERY Tall, maybe a foot tall. and they were thick. It would have been a nice deer in anyone's book. But if you want to manage the whole state, you gotta do something, and while these minimums can be heart breakers we will eventually all benefit.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    I understand.
    Now, why the the need for the HIP #?

I dont know what rifle used to be, but at one time if you used a pistol it had to be .38 caliber or larger. Which eliminated a bunch of people that had TC Contenders. You could have a Contender in 300 Win Mag, but it was not legal. Im glad they wised up and changed it years ago.

The HIP # is required for hunting in State Wildlife Areas, a little different than BLM land or National Forest but the land looks the same on the other side of the fence. I guess there's a bunch of quail in that one that's close to our usual unit....For yotes, it's kind of a joke....but guess it's for the tracking and survey phone call that'll be coming soon. I just was tying up loose ends and noticed I hadn't gotten a HIP # this year yet.

As for Handgun.....our jibberish says 4" barrel minimum, .24 cal minimum, no shoulder stock, and min. energy of 550 ft/lbs at 50 yrds.

I called about the Browning Buckmark with the shoulder stock when it came out....but it was classified as a Carbine because of it's longer barrel.....and the limits were for big-game hunting.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Ya know what pisses me off Tim is that some counties don't have the 13 inch rule per se, they have the ear rule. If the ears at allert position fit inside the main beams it's good. I like that better. And it is very true, this management theory is improving the heard throughout the state. But it can be a PIA. I had to pass on a nice 6 point the other morning because he was only about 11 inches wide. But his rack was VERY Tall, maybe a foot tall. and they were thick. It would have been a nice deer in anyone's book. But if you want to manage the whole state, you gotta do something, and while these minimums can be heart breakers we will eventually all benefit.

That is the problem here too, most of the bucks seem to have the S&W genetics and all have very tall racks that do not spread a lot. I have had to pass on quite a few already this year. It wouldn't bother me if I already had meat in the freezer! It's too funny, I got all excited this morning when I saw what I thought was a spike trotting across the field. He had a medium sized body and I was going to take him just for sausage meat. I was very disappointed to see he had a small fork on each side so I'm still out here waiting!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Habitat Stamp is for SWA's. The stamp, which is required of ANYONE who steps foot on a SWA, is basically to cover costs of upkeep. This includes hikers, picnic-ers, hunters, fisherman, etc. SWA's are kind of like mini-nature preserves. Some are day use only, some are camping, some are hunting/fishing or mixes of both, just depends on where it is. Basically, they are setting aside some pristine wildlife land, but someone has to pay for it, so everyone who uses it (or buys any fishing/hunting license/tag) chips in there 5 or 10$ Just another way of saying "tax" lol.

The HIP, is more about harvest results vs licenses/tags sold. Just another way to gather data. Most of us also get called in winter/spring to ask about our hunt, harvest if any, pressure, its like 10 minutes on the phone.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I thought HIP was strictly migratory birds?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I'll double check on that tonight
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Habitat Stamp is for SWA's.

Dan, a habitat stamp is required for any kind of hunting license. It may even be required for a fishing license, but I'm not sure. I usually get a combined small game and fishing license, and have to buy a habitat stamp for that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    "Aw jeez, not this crap again!"......lol! We're all gonna have to read the CO reg bible again! Jerry's right in that a Hab stamp comes as part of every license, extra $10 for the year....the one I bought with my annual/combo-fish/game also covered my elk. A HIP number is for migratory birds and furbearing animals...when I called for the number....the only "yes" was for coyote....guess they wanna track those too.
    SEE??!?!?!?!???? Even you Colorado guys don't know what the heck the regulations are!!!!

Now THAT'S hilarious.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    SEE??!?!?!?!???? Even you Colorado guys don't know what the heck the regulations are!!!!

Now THAT'S hilarious.

We know. We're just doing this to confuse you.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    We know. We're just doing this to confuse you.

Well, stop. You are doing such a good job, you're starting to confuse your compatriots. :tooth:
    We really don't read the instructions.....not enough pictures....Menly Men get their blue card...go shoot something somewhere, and try not to get caught.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    With all the restrictions , special fees , tags and licenses ya gotta deal with or buy , no wonder the deer population is outta hand here in PA. I'd bet just as many die from starvation and being hit by vehicles every year as are harvested by hunting.

Always thought they outta do a odd/even sorta thing. Even years , ya get to take 1 of either sex , odd years , ya take a buck only with a standard license.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Deer only have to be concerned with doing three things- - - -eating, sleeping, and making more deer. If even one buck in an area survives encounters with hunters, predators, and vehicles, he's going to breed every receptive doe in the area. The way to control deer population is to limit his breeding opportunities. Shoot a BUNCH of does, and limit the buck harvest, and it does two things- - - -controls overpopulation, and it allows more bucks to reach maturity since more hunting pressure is on the doe population. It's worked well in Tennessee over the past several years.
    Jerry
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1259600/page53_antler_restrictions_pdf

I live in what is (now) a 3 up area. Thats why I shoot doe and so does my wife, she has never shot a buck because she started hunting when the antler restrictions were in place. I shot 1 scrubby 8 about 6 years ago when we were 4 to a side. I have yet to see a legal buck in this area in the last 5 or 6 years. There are a couple, just few and far between. After living with it for 9 years or so, it seems like a waste of time. I have seen mounts that were taken off my property of NICE 8's and 10's pre restrictions, havent seen anything like that walking.

They finally changed it to 3 up from 4 to a side so you dont have to guess at a brow tine.

Kids can shoot any buck with a spike of at least 3 in or better. 1 buck limit for all, doe you can get by getting antlerless tags, you might get 2, I normally only get 1.

After Christmas. IF you use a flintlock, you get a 2 week period that you cna shoot a antlerless with the regular tag.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    mkk41 wrote: »
    With all the restrictions , special fees , tags and licenses ya gotta deal with or buy , no wonder the deer population is outta hand here in PA. I'd bet just as many die from starvation and being hit by vehicles every year as are harvested by hunting.

Always thought they outta do a odd/even sorta thing. Even years , ya get to take 1 of either sex , odd years , ya take a buck only with a standard license.
    Its only out of control where hunting is restricted. Most of the states deer population is down since they opened up doe season to be concurrent with buck. Of course they restricted that in the western areas also cutting out the first week.

What TN is doing is what PA already did, we are going into a stabilization mode now, in theory
    That would be Gary Alt, he was the head of the deer section, he was a bear biologist.

What wiped out the herd was the over issuing of doe permits in some areas. The area I hunt (wmu 2d) is mostly private so it hasn't been battered like north central counties. Near Philly and PicksburgH remain over populated because the deer like to live near Democrats because they are lazy and don't have guns. The other main factor is politics. PA taught Chicago how to buy your idea though a government agency

Im not a fan of AR. Its been 9 years, you would think that I would have seen at more than one shootable buck with as much time as I spend in the woods, he was a scrubby 8 pt. I shoot doe. There were nice buck taken off this property pre AR, and none since.
    If you look at the pic of my daughters deer, that is far from legal for me, and her as of next year.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/blog/Default.aspx?id=489
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Dan, a habitat stamp is required for any kind of hunting license. It may even be required for a fishing license, but I'm not sure. I usually get a combined small game and fishing license, and have to buy a habitat stamp for that.

Correct, it is a charge applied to any license. At least its one per year now, a few years ago you had to get a stamp for every 3rd license bought, that sucked. So 1 for my fishing license, check, then I buy a 2nd rod stamp (yes we have to buy an additional license to use 2 poles at once) and then I'd get an elk tag and bam, had to get another. That used to piss me off pretty good. But the purpose of that stamp is for the SWA's, you're not supposed to enter one if you do not have a stamp of some sort. Of course, never seen ricky ranger out checking bird watchers who sure enjoy us spending our money on wildlife but hate the fact that we hurt poor animals ;P