Learned something new about me yesterday...

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
and I did something I have never done in the history of my Military Career....

I CAN"T SHOOT FOR CRAP IN ARCTIC WEATHER CONDITIONS!!!!

it was -5 on the range

I actually did not qualify with the M9 yesterday. I missed almost every round on the 25 meter course after the kneeling position. I was so damn cold by the time we got to "squatting" I couldnt feel my trigger finger. as soon as I pulled my target I had to go straight to the warming shack and get my fingers in my crotch to warm up. The medic wanted to list me as a cold weather injury because the shape my fingers were in...

Lessons learned:

1. get thicker gloves for shooting and learn to shoot with them.
2. Kick the NCOIC of the range in the Jimmy next time her leaves the M9s out in the cold on the range for about 4 hours.
3. PCS to Hawaii.
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I remember in the 70s shooting M203s in “Wild Chicken” Germany and my fingers were so numb I couldn't even feel the shell as I inserted it or the pull of the trigger. We were issued some worthless mittens with a thumb slot that were flesh or orange on the part where your palms were. Although not nearly as cold as AK, that and other FTXs where my hands/feet were numb are bad memories I'd rather forget.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,502 Senior Member
    As I mentioned on an earlier thread and learned from experience.

Touch your nose to the charging handle of a M16 at -10°, you will leave a piece of skin stuck there......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    yeah I didn't even get to shoot my M-16, we ran out of day light. But...1-25 Infantry (at wainwright)had a Cold weather Injury last month with a "solid check to stock" weld at the range. Young troop pulled his Baclava away when he got in the prone. the sweat on his face froze his face to the weapon.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    1-25 Infantry (at wainwright)had a Cold weather Injury last month with a "solid check to stock" weld at the range. Young troop pulled his Baclava away when he got in the prone. the sweat on his face froze his face to the weapon.

Kinda puts a whole new meaning on the term 'Cold bore shot'.....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    The coldest ive shot handgun in was bout 10 or 15 degrees. the trigger on my revolver got alittle cold and in IDPA you are not alowed gloves. Luckily my revolver had a huoge rubber grip. Helped alittle. You just have to slow down and keep sight picture. its hard to race your trigger with frozen fingers :jester:
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I had to clear a shell that was loaded BACKWARDS in a shotgun in teen weather duck hunting once. That sucked as I had to remove my gloves to do anything. I must have been damn near ripping my finger off before I even felt it. I feel your pain bro, I didn't shoot many ducks that day.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,726 Senior Member
    :yikes:

Just so you know..... it's supposed to be in the 70's here this weekend :p
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,810 Senior Member
    You can get by with a thinner glove for a short period of time if you slip a chemical hand warmer into the palm of your glove, the toe warmer variety is a little thinner but not as warm.

I hunt with these: http://www.wellslamont.com/index.php/work/116
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :yikes:

Just so you know..... it's supposed to be in the 70's here this weekend :p

That is so cool Paul, wait I meant so warm :tooth:
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    In all fairness, it's just as cold as it is up there in Alaska as it is here in Charleston, Shane. Here is what I mean; there was ice on my windshield this morning. There is ice in Alaska. It's as cold there as it is here :tooth:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Yeah Colt, I'll buy that...:conehead:

After the run this morning, my man parts hurts, it felt like we lost another 5 degrees around 0700....Time to add another layer
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    When I worked in Minneapolis, I learned that I can't blow my nose in -20 cold. When it's so cold your boogers freeze, it's too bloody cold!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member