Home Main Category Hunting

And the son comes through

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,452 Senior Member
DSC_0038.jpg

He saw this one first and had a plan. The deer was browsing downhill east to west to our north, with his shoulder behind a tree and I told the son to wait, he said he had it and he was counting points. I said you got your sister beat. The buck made one step and looked up and to his right rear, I said you are clear and he agreed and I watched him squeeze one off with the saftey on, you've done it to, then he took the safe off and hammered the buck where I consider a perfect shot. Vert crosshair along the back of the leg, horz 2/3 of the way from the top, 1/3 up. Deer made 5 slow steps, shook and fell over. I would say the shot was a good 85 yards through the woods.

Through the left lung about a .50 piece size, tore up the rear 1/2 of the right and the exit hole was an inch. 700 BDL in 25-06, 50 gr IMR 4350 under a 100 gr Hornady spire point.

FYI it is the first deer that beat the antler restrictions I have seen in at least 6 years, and this 7 is a lot nicer than the 8 I got then.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Tell him, "Great job!"
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Excellent! Congratulations to you both.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Excellent, Varmit! Tell that Boy we're proud of him! You've done a terrific job getting your Kids off on the right foot!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome! Congrats to the young man.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    Very nice
    very nice
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Now the girl's gonna be jealous, LOL!!! Nice nice deer.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    The young man got himself a dandy right there. You guys need to get busy, the young 'uns are running up the score on us.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Its more fun watching the kids take deer. I have the youngest daughter on a mentored youth permit, who thinks she should be getting an 8 tonight. I told her not to hold her breath, there is a forky horn and a 5 out there that I havent seen since Monday. I would kind of like it if I could get her in front of something in the next 2 days, then the pressure is off and I can take the flinter on Sat and take whatever doe gives me the best shot. We normally put up 3-4 and that is enough jerky, sausage and canned meat for us.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,513 Senior Member
    Nice shot! Nice deer! Nice rifle! Nice cartridge!

Your boy has done everything right.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member

Exactly what I thought.

Good job by you dad
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,936 Senior Member
    Very cool to be sitting with them when they get their firsts, what happened to all of the snow your daughter was in, did it warm up that much?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Very. Well. Done.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,089 Senior Member
    The kids are cleaning up this year! Congratulations!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Very cool to be sitting with them when they get their firsts, what happened to all of the snow your daughter was in, did it warm up that much?
    Yep, about 6 degrees :chill:

Mainly the sun came out Tues afternoon and took it to 34 ish in the afternoon. If you look at the right side of the pic the log still has snow on it, I used that to clean the blood off my hands. I was going to let him clean it but we were running out of light, the camera (Nikon 3100) seems to be pretty idiot proof and makes the pics look good but hitting the button. Its a world of difference from a SLR.

This is his 3rd, and the daughters #5. These are pretty much the first ones they took charge on though.
    Zee wrote: »

Your boy has done everything right.

Except he won't give his really great dad that rifle. I found it used 3 years ago and paid 500 (+????) for it with the scope, rolled up some 100 gr loads and shot a 3/4 in group with the first 3 shots I took out of it. Those were about the last 3 he has let me shoot because I asked him if I could have it right after that.

I am becoming a fan of the quarter bore. That thing is a hammer when it comes to deer.
  • d garfieldd garfield New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    My grand son shot his first buck, H&R 243 with 90 grn.balistic tip at 152 yards
    His father was sitting up over the hill,. It was a 7 pointer 182 lbs, nice Vermont buck.
    I am becoming a fan of the quarter bore.

What's taking so long?
    Good to see 3 generations hunting together
    congratulations to all 3 of you
    How old you think the deer was?
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    + 0ne and it looks like a 2 or 2 1/2 year old deer
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I am becoming a fan of the quarter bore.

What's taking so long?
    Once you go 30, its hard to downgrade. :)

I always wanted a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts, not in a life changing way, just kinda like the idea. Only came across one and the guy doesnt want to part with it. I was going to build a 25-06 then however I got into flintlocks.
    Once you go 30, its hard to downgrade. :)

That's a fallacy I went from 300 weatherby up to 257 easily
    But I went from 30 to 54 :)
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I have been all over the caliber spectrum and not necessarily always moving up in size. I've owned everything from a .223 to a .300 Wby. 30-30s, 6mm Rem., 280 Rem., 22-250, 30-06, .250 Savage, .257 Robt. AI, .270 Win. 8x57mm Mauser, 7 Rem. Mag., and .300 Wby Mag. And not in that order. So maybe I'm the exception, but I did go down from 30. Of course, I take one of the 30s out on occasion. The .300 WBY will definitely go elk hunting if I ever do. The 7 Mag may also. I don't get hung up on any one cartridge anymore since I discovered that variety is the spice of life.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Kidding = :) <