No dog is worth dying for....

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,563 Senior Member
http://news.yahoo.com/three-california-family-drown-ocean-trying-save-dog-222921018.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CX0QrZQASMAhQ_QtDMD

A dog can swim 10x better than (most) people, as can be seen here. The dog survived.

I see stories every year of people drowning trying to save a dog after the dog falls thru ice. It's just a dog!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    I love my dog, but I know for a fact that:

A - he can swim very well

B - he hates the water and will make a beeline for the shore and

C - if I were to jump in to rescue him he would literally try to stand on my head and probably drown me in rough water

*I may or may not have once thrown him into a swimming pool to learn these facts.

Given these facts, and the fact that in very rough water there were probably no predators lurking, my solution would be to stand at a fixed point on the shore and call him until he got back.

Darwin at his best. The only animal that got into the water that day with any survival instincts survived.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I learned that cats are 90% fur and can swim very well. I may or may not have thrown said cat in the pool.

It's amazing how skinny they look when soaking wet.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I learned that cats are 90% fur and can swim very well.

In my very limited experience, cats don't actually swim......they pull a JC and RUN out of the water!

:roll2:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Maybe no dog is worth dying for..............but there are also a lot of people not worth saving......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    A friend and former co-worker recently drowned trying to save his dog after it fell into into an iced-over pond. I don't know if the dog survived. I do know that my friend left a family behind, including his little girl.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    People die in fires because they go back into the house to look for pets. I remember a woman on the news that said her husband returned to the burning house to look for the family cat. He died in the fire and the cat was outside with the wife.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    I worked a fire where a lady died because she went back in to get a shirt for her twenty year old son.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    A 14 year old boy perished here when he tried to help his dog that had broken through the iced over lake, also like the above case the dog lived where the kid was overcome by hypothermia and drowned. RIP.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    I worked a fire where a lady died because she went back in to get a shirt for her twenty year old son.

There are also numerous cases of folks who died when they went back in to find their insurance policies....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    I also can't begin to tell you how much I hate those "Pet Finderr" window stickers, they make them look just like the "Tot Finder" stickers folks used to put on their children's bedroom windows.....and left there after the kid grew up and left home....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 461 Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Maybe no dog is worth dying for..............but there are also a lot of people not worth saving......
    +1
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    "No dog is worth dying for" is a question relating to the relative worth of a human being to a dog. While the assorted physical handicaps of my advancing age and declining health disqualifies me from heroic rescue attempts, were I younger and in better shape I probably would try to rescue my dog, even at some risk to myself.

However, the question of worth can be rephrased with equal significance - how far would I go to protect my beloved Juliet, Queen of Dogs & She Who Must be Obeyed? Would I take the life of a human being trying to kill or injure her? In a heartbeat. If I had to think first, in a New York minute.
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    I live about 90 minutes from where the incident occurred. That beach has some of the nastiest under-toe on the west coast.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I would take a round to save the dogs I have worked around....and I am not handler.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."