My future gunsmith

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberPosts: 1,055 Senior Member
My grandson Jackson is very mechanical minded and also has a growing interest in guns. It looks like I'm going to be making the educational choices for him why not?

Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Looks like you could play your cards right and never have to work on the your own guns again one day!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    No time like the present to get him started! My son completed his first Mauser rifle buildup a few years ago at at age 37, and he's out drumming up business for me/us all the time! Grandson is headed down the same road, it looks like, but at least one hitch in the Marines is on tap as soon as he graduates high school.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    Keep him interested, gunsmithing is a great hobby and there is certainly money in it if you are good.

I got my first bb gun at the whopping age of 4 months(obviuosly couldnt shoot it) and havnt stopped since. I started putting together and building guns when i was ten and did alot of tinkering(not great work as i was only ten) and now i will say im probly the youngest person on this forum and have completly dissasembled many firearms including bolt, semi, and single shot, and i mean completely.I've built ar15's and Ive made revolver grip sets from walnut planks and have rebuilt mausers. And actually designed and drawn full blue prints for two single shot bolt action rifles. I've read a lot of old gunsmithing books and read a lot of articles. This has got me started at gunsmithing at a young age. I'm to the point now where ive built parts for guns on my lathe and i can thank my grandpa for all of this. He started me out. I just wish he was still around to see what he started. He created a monster, every hour i got is at the work bench or behind a gun. And im only a freshman. Yes a freshman in highschool. I just love going to gun shops and talking to the staff. Over half the time I know more than the people behind the counter. I quess im just devoted to guns. Especially rifles.
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Might not be very politically correct these days , but when he gets into high school , see that he gets into a vo-tech program if ya have one. Especially machine shop. I was lucky because we could do it back then , our instructor , an old-school master tool & die maker , was also a hunter/shooter/gunsmith and was OK with such projects.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    I pushed and pushed and was only able to get my school to get a cad program. they dont even have a teacher for it. i had to figure it out and i think theyre going to discontinue the program. Pretty sad, if you can use a cad program you can open up a lot of job oppurtunities
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Currently he's under educated because of the family crap but we homeschooled ours so we are increasing their education now. We also have the grandkids registered for tutoring @Jax St starting in jan. We want to put them in scool but they're behind their peers and we hope too catch them up.
    I tell you having them four here has sure livelied the place up. The 12 yr old said last night there is more laughter in this house than she had ever seen. I cried.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Cool
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    No time like the present to get him started!

My 4 year old helped me build my AR Pistol. Gotta start them young
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,557 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Might not be very politically correct these days , but when he gets into high school , see that he gets into a vo-tech program if ya have one. Especially machine shop. I was lucky because we could do it back then , our instructor , an old-school master tool & die maker , was also a hunter/shooter/gunsmith and was OK with such projects.

My stepson took 'Precision Machining' at Buckeye Career Center his jr and sr year of high school. Now he has a job at machine shop that makes industrial grade power washers. He now goes to Buckeyes Adult classes every Wednesday night for four hours. In four years he will have his Journeymans card. He won't have to look long for a job after that.

I should have done the same thing, but the same school back then had a bad reputation. Back then it was the Buckeye Joint Vocational school. Everyone called it the 'Joint' because that is who went there. The potheads.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Yeah , because I was ahead of others , during my last Junior semester and all of my Senior year , I went to work in the afternoons at a job I got thru the school job placement program. They reported my progress to the school , and I made some decent money for a HS kid.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great career choice.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    Currently he's under educated because of the family crap but we homeschooled ours so we are increasing their education now. We also have the grandkids registered for tutoring @Jax St starting in jan. We want to put them in scool but they're behind their peers and we hope too catch them up.
    I tell you having them four here has sure livelied the place up. The 12 yr old said last night there is more laughter in this house than she had ever seen. I cried.

Clearly you're doing a lot of things exactly right! Good job! And just as clearly, what you're doing is absolutely in the best interest of the kids. I wish there were some sort of gov't program to help out families like yours, instead of mindlessly subsidizing the cynical breedings of multi-generational welfare queens. Rockin' good job!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."