Pillar Bedding

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,705 Senior Member
What it the right way to pillarbed a rifle?

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Pay someone to do it.

:tooth:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Pillar bedding is the installation of metal sleeves in the stock connecting the trigger guard and the receiver, so there's no compression of the stockmaterial (wood or plastic) when the action screws are tightened. On the Mausers I build, I install a lathe-turned aluminum sleeve about 1/2" in diameter over the rear action screw, and a larger one, 5/8" to 3/4" around the front screw. The front pillar also has a step in it to reinforce the recoil lug. I turn several "V" grooves on the outside of both sleeves and lock them tightly into the stock with AcraGlas. When they're fitted properly, the action is supported fully just as the rest of the receiver and the magazine/floorplate assembly contacts the stock. Pliiar bedding can be paired with glass-bedding of the rest of the action if desired, but it's sort of like wearing a belt AND suspenders!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    And you make your own pillers? Are they bolted to the action before glueing to the wood.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    I just make the pillars the same height as the stock material, or maybe a few thousandths oversize, and assemble the receiver, floorplate, and pillars into the stock with a good coat of AcraGlas. Once the bedding compound cures, the pillars are permanently bonded into the stock. If necessary, a little fitting can be done after removing the receiver and floorplate, and cleaning the parting compound off. A sanding disc in a Dremel tool works to grind away any flashings, etc. that prevent a perfect fit. Yes, I custom-make the pillars to fit every job- - - - -easy with a lathe and a little aluminum round stock.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite