What rifle do you want?

13»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Chambering?
    Currently leaning towards 260 Rem, though subject to change
    Though with limited employment and school costs, gonna be a WHILE before "scalpel" is more than a dream
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Great choice.
    You can do so much with the performance level of the 260 Rem:up:
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Currently leaning towards 260 Rem, though subject to change
    Though with limited employment and school costs, gonna be a WHILE before "scalpel" is more than a dream
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    My grandpas Winchester 1894 chambered in .25-35. The first gun I ever hunted with, I always remember him telling me, DONT SCRATCH THAT GUN, OR IT WILL BE YOUR HIDE! Fond memories, how life changes.

Love your post, I have my Grandpa's 44-40 Winchester and I use to watch him when I was little throw bottles up in the air and bust them, he had only one eye because of an accident but could he ever shoot. I practice and practice and started with baby food jars then worked down to a 50 cent pieces, don't always hit the 50 Cent piece but don't miss it much either. I sure won a lot of lunches behind Haddad's Store in Vickburg back in the 80's with guys betting I would not hit that 50 cent piece tossed in the air with that old 44-40 Winchester. I loved that old man, and Randy Travis song about a little boy and his grandpa where he says about his grandpaw, "and he was good with a gun" always brings back memories of grandpa. Great memories and most of all he taught me and inspired me to shoot and I have had a ball every since. Thanks for your post, it reminded me of good times.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Have him try McGowen.

OK Ernie will do.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    My confidence in you all is crushed, have been waiting for someone to say they wanted a old rifle with a monte carlo cheekpeice, white line spacers in stock chambered in .270 and fitted with a meuller scope.

edit for spelling mistakes
    I actually put a 30mm 4.5-14 APT on my rifle this week :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    I'm not hard to please, a Ruger American in .308 would do nicely.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I want a Winchester Model 94. Plain old working gun a non angle eject model. If not that then a Marlin Model 336SC.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    • If I'm buying, Sightron SIII Bigsky 6-24x50
    The Big Sky's are SII's. I got an SIII 6-24x50 that is ready and waiting to be put on my .308. :tooth:
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The Big Sky's are SII's. I got an SIII 6-24x50 that is ready and waiting to be put on my .308. :tooth:

I really like my S-III's!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    Something in .308, for some reason I do not own a .308. A SMLE would be cool or maybe Bullsi's suggestion in .308, a Ruger Scout would do also.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Ok, then just a plain SIII then :p
    Origianlly, IIRC they made siii bigskys
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    Wouldn' mind this either...............

wm_1176677.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 781 Senior Member
    Personal preference only but I wouldn't choose a .308 but dang that rifle is gorgeous. I see a lot of you guys like those CZs. I'm completely ignorant about them. Why do y'all like them so much

Can't speak for others but I have a CZ 452Lux (.22) that is very accurate, handles well, completely reliable and just drips quality. Every CZ rifle I've ever had my hands on felt perfect to me and I somehow got the hots for that full-stock model. It's pricey so I'm just dreamin'.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Forgot about that special run of Marlin 1894 'Cowboy' rifles and carbines in .41 Magnum!
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Flashover wrote: »
    My confidence in you all is crushed, have been waiting for someone to say they wanted a old rifle with a monte carlo cheekpeice, white line spacers in stock chambered in .270 and fitted with a meuller scope.

edit for spelling mistakes

Shush Flashover, you're giving me away!!! I don't bring stuff up like that unless I feel VERY argumentive, :silly:

:roll2::roll2::roll2:

But scratch the Mueller and gimme a Nikon or Redfield Revolutions in 4-24x40.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    I thought about going .375 Ruger. What you think?

I think without a heavy gun AND a good brake, you'll be stepping up into a serious class of recoil you might not enjoy lol. Low to mid 40's in terms of ft-lbs I think either 358 Norma or 375 Ruger you'd be a little better starting off with a magnum bolt faced action already instead of trying to open up the old one. Are the tang safety Ruger bolts totally enclosed like a Rem or are they more open like a Mauser style rifle? If you aren't going to be able to source a .366" barrel anytime soon then I'd probably just go ahead with the 35 Whelen like you originally intended.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I think without a heavy gun AND a good brake, you'll be stepping up into a serious class of recoil you might not enjoy lol. Low to mid 40's in terms of ft-lbs I think either 358 Norma or 375 Ruger you'd be a little better starting off with a magnum bolt faced action already instead of trying to open up the old one. Are the tang safety Ruger bolts totally enclosed like a Rem or are they more open like a Mauser style rifle? If you aren't going to be able to source a .366" barrel anytime soon then I'd probably just go ahead with the 35 Whelen like you originally intended.

Well the 9.3x62 ain't dead yet. My GS is still trying. I'm not sure the exact configuration of the Ruger Bolt and I don't have it here. I'm thinking it's Mauser style though. I have seen some Tang safety ones that were chambered in 7 Mag and 338 Win Mag and the best i remember there was no real difference in those and mine.

However, if Dwight can find me a .366 barrel, it will definitely be made a 9.3x62.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I searched for a pic, its totally surrounded like a Rem bolt, so opening it up probably isn't a feasible idea. They were MADE in 7 Mag, 300 Mag and 458 mag for sure, likely 338 Mag as well.

If the 9.3 barrel is going to just take longer then you want, I'd still say go 35 Whelen or maybe 338-06. They're all pretty much peas in a pod, the 9.3 just has the extra cool factor and is a tinsy bit faster with same weight bullets then the other two. Hopefully the GS will be able to locate something though...because if you don't end up building one, then I just might have to, out of spite lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Tell him to try Montana Rifle Co, too. I think they're pretty snappy with barrel orders and they carry .366

I talked to my Gun Smith this morning and he says no problem with enlarging the bolt face and making it a .358 Norma Mag. But he's still pursuing the 9.3. I really would prefer the 9.3 because I already have two magnums and that's two more than I used to say I ever wanted. But I am somewhat intriqued by the Norma too. That would be a cannon.
    I searched for a pic, its totally surrounded like a Rem bolt, so opening it up probably isn't a feasible idea. They were MADE in 7 Mag, 300 Mag and 458 mag for sure, likely 338 Mag as well.

If the 9.3 barrel is going to just take longer then you want, I'd still say go 35 Whelen or maybe 338-06. They're all pretty much peas in a pod, the 9.3 just has the extra cool factor and is a tinsy bit faster with same weight bullets then the other two. Hopefully the GS will be able to locate something though...because if you don't end up building one, then I just might have to, out of spite lol

Maybe if I get one it will be catching. You and a couple more here I have seen that have wanted one. I remember the guy at the range had a double rifle in one. I saw him recently and he confirmed that it was a 9.3x62 not a 74. That was a cool rifle but it cost him around $5,000.
13»