Home Main Category Personal Defense

Seattle PD dash cam released, what do you think?

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior MemberPosts: 714 Senior Member
I am not quite sure where this belongs so move it if necessary please moderators.

So, the suspect in this is suing the SPD for excessive force or what have you. Personally I think think the suspect is an idiot and got what he deserved. However, when I watched the video the 3rd officer's behavior I did find was unprofessional and overly aggressive, I am not trying to start a fight here but I would like to hear some of our LEO's thoughts on the video. Would you say the 3rd officer was proper? I know people are people and people sometimes have bad days. The people up here are split between: the LEOs can do no wrong, and, every Police officer is a right stomping nazi. So its a little hard to discuss things rationally. What say you?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seattle-police-release-video-of-mans-arrest--181063391.html

The video is near the bottom of the article, its only like 2 mins long.

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I would have punched someone in the face for spitting at me also but I'm not a police officer. Punching the guy was in retaliation for spitting at them and there is no legitimate reason in the world for the officer to punch him under those circumstances. He could have tazed him in the sack though. That punch was emotionally charged and will end up costing the department some money.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Personally, I wish I could buy these cops a beer. This was no Rodney King beat down, this was a man getting roughed up while resisting arrest, assaulting officers, and displaying threatening behavior. Go up to any cop, spit on him, then act like this guy was and see if you get to jail without a scratch.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I'm pretty cop friendly but the guy is being held down and the cop elbow smashed him in the face. That ain't right.
    I don't know enough of the back story though. The article says the refused to prosecute sooo.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    He got what he deserved.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Besides being nasty, are there illnesses that can be transmitted via saliva?

I'll never get why fight in a situation like that, let them cuff you, all you gonna do is lose.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Another case of two idiots in search of their village. The guy should have cooperated with the officers and saved himself a fight, as stated before, fight with the cops and you are destined to lose. The second idiot IMO was the third officer. His entire demeanor was that he was spoiling for a fight. He should have stayed in the background and let the first two officers handle it. When the moron started to fight the officers and spit on them, then, jump in and put the beat down on him, at that point he was bought and paid for. When you are a public servant, sometimes you have to take a step back and let calmer heads prevail. Too bad, this jerk is potentially getting a walk on a hit and run charge.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Huh? :confused:

Wha,,,? :confused:

I didn't see a thing! :popcorn:
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    I don't blame the guy for wanting to punch- it does bother me that the man being punched in the face was pretty much defenseless since he was being held down by 2 other guys. Beating down a guy whose arms are pinned down leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The police officer should have told the guy to put his hand behind his back to avoid injury. When he became combative the officer should have used his Tazer or stun gun. A prone subject is easy to roll over for handcuffs. No need for three officers to manhandle the offender. The officer that did the punching was more worked up than the other two in the video. Punching the guy was a mistake. Doing it on video was dumb. Tazers are wonderful. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Bullies are like that- - - -they hate to participate in a fair fight. Cop #3 probably just cost the city a BIG chunk of pocket change! The fact that the perp isn't getting charged says volumes about where this one is going, and it's not good for the city!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Bullies are like that- - - -they hate to participate in a fair fight. Cop #3 probably just cost the city a BIG chunk of pocket change! The fact that the perp isn't getting charged says volumes about where this one is going, and it's not good for the city!
    Jerry

There will be a new Cadillac Escalade cruising the streets after the settlement...........

Cop #3 might end up being an unarmed security guard for a gated community.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Just wait till the Reverands and community leaders start marching! I'm sure it will become a constitutional as well as civil rights violation/trial , and it was obviously racially motivated , maybe even labeled a hate crime.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Ahhh, forget the lawsuit- - - - -just duct-tape their left wrists together and hand 'em both a box cutter!
    Jerry
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    I just completed the police academy and while i dont have the experience yet, i can share my opinion. I believe cop #3 was way to aggressive to begin with. One thing is to command presence and another is to down right bully someone. As soon as the guy refused to comply with lawful commands, they should have deployed their Tasers or just taken the guy straight down to the floor. The fact that the two cops were holding the guys hands while the other one was smothering him was not good. In that situation, the guy couldnt have put his hands behind his back even if he wanted to. Similar to an officer Tasing someone and yelling "Put your hands behind your back" when the guy is still riding the lightning and cant move even if he wanted to.

Anyways, I adhere to the ATM mentality. "A" for ask him (sir could you please turn around and put your hands behind your back?). "T" for Telling him. (Sir, turn around and put your hands behind your back now! Im not going to tell you again!!) And "M" make him. A sudden trip to the floor all the while shouting," put your hands behind your back, Stop resisting"!!!!!! If the guy keeps fighting then he deserves to be roughened up. They taught us in the academy that punching or elbowing to the face is considered "deadly force". I know it sounds dramatic but they said that you dont punch to the face unless you are fighting for your life. Thats why you have other tools and defensive tactic techniques like pain compliance and pressure points.

Its very easy to sit here in the comfort of our homes and just draw conclusions on what others do.So, im not saying that the officer was right or wrong. Im just saying that there are different ways to deal with situations and while sometimes they may not be pretty to look at, in some cases it may be the only way to go. Who knows for how long these officers were trying to reason with this guy before this took place.... Just my .2 cents:beer:
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The good ole Tazer will stop the subject or slow down a hyped up one enough for multiple officers to handle. This guy wasn't hyped up, drunk maybe and resisting the officers in performance of their duty. Tazer 1 offender 0. It is a fair world sometimes. Wonder what color Escalade the guy is going to buy? :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    All I know is what I saw in the video. With that said, in my opinion it became a fairly clear cut case of police brutality the moment "LEO" #3 began choking the man being detained.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    I just completed the police academy and while i dont have the experience yet, i can share my opinion. I believe cop #3 was way to aggressive to begin with. One thing is to command presence and another is to down right bully someone. As soon as the guy refused to comply with lawful commands, they should have deployed their Tasers or just taken the guy straight down to the floor. The fact that the two cops were holding the guys hands while the other one was smothering him was not good. In that situation, the guy couldnt have put his hands behind his back even if he wanted to. Similar to an officer Tasing someone and yelling "Put your hands behind your back" when the guy is still riding the lightning and cant move even if he wanted to.

Anyways, I adhere to the ATM mentality. "A" for ask him (sir could you please turn around and put your hands behind your back?). "T" for Telling him. (Sir, turn around and put your hands behind your back now! Im not going to tell you again!!) And "M" make him. A sudden trip to the floor all the while shouting," put your hands behind your back, Stop resisting"!!!!!! If the guy keeps fighting then he deserves to be roughened up. They taught us in the academy that punching or elbowing to the face is considered "deadly force". I know it sounds dramatic but they said that you dont punch to the face unless you are fighting for your life. Thats why you have other tools and defensive tactic techniques like pain compliance and pressure points.

Its very easy to sit here in the comfort of our homes and just draw conclusions on what others do.So, im not saying that the officer was right or wrong. Im just saying that there are different ways to deal with situations and while sometimes they may not be pretty to look at, in some cases it may be the only way to go. Who knows for how long these officers were trying to reason with this guy before this took place.... Just my .2 cents:beer:

There is no "Sir, put your hands behind your back." You have three officers there, you make him get his hands behind his back. He should have been pulled forward off of the car, taken to the ground on his stomach and detained that way. The fat officer on the left was a dunce and the skinny cop on the right was useless.

"Cop #3" was out of line to elbow/strike the man for spitting, but the perp definitely spit on purpose.
    All I know is what I saw in the video. With that said, in my opinion it became a fairly clear cut case of police brutality the moment "LEO" #3 began choking the man being detained.

Other than initially grabbing the perp, "Cop #3" did no choking. He realized his hand placement was on his neck and moved to push on his face instead. This is, of course, dangerous, too. He is fortunate he was not bitten.

They could have done so much better. Cop #1 and Cop #2 need some command presence re-training.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    There is no "Sir, put your hands behind your back." You have three officers there, you make him get his hands behind his back. He should have been pulled forward off of the car, taken to the ground on his stomach and detained that way. The fat officer on the left was a dunce and the skinny cop on the right was useless.

"Cop #3" was out of line to elbow/strike the man for spitting, but the perp definitely spit on purpose.

Other than initially grabbing the perp, "Cop #3" did no choking. He realized his hand placement was on his neck and moved to push on his face instead. This is, of course, dangerous, too. He is fortunate he was not bitten.

They could have done so much better. Cop #1 and Cop #2 need some command presence re-training.

I was hoping you would chime in on this one. I thought the two guys on his arms were acting like "yard birds" but didn't want to call it that way since takedowns are outside my normal scope of practise.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Thanks for weighing in Jason, I too was waiting to hear from you on this one. The 2 on the sides seemed a little timid to me. But the 3rd, what of him? if you were evaluating it what would you say? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't going up under someones chin/throat a good way to illicit a panic reaction from the subject? I thought the 3rd guy seemed to have a lack of self awareness/control and seemed to let his emotions control his behavior, he seemed to be looking for a confrontation rather than to determine if a crime had been committed and apprehend the subject. Just curious if I read it properly from someone who has the training. Its interesting to see the dichotomy of responses here a lot of people seem to say that because the guy spit on the officer he needed to get a beating. Some seem to blame the 3rd officer for the entire altercation. My personal opinion is that the suspect was clearly an idiot in the way he behaved and his thugishness got him locked up. However the 3rd officer did more harm than good in resolving the situation peacefully with his overly aggressive attitude and the MMA throat/chin move is not a good way to resolve that with out it going to a physical brawl. I thought they should have flipped him, gone to the ground, and then some sort of arm bar with some applied force to the back of the neck/head to control his wish to spit on people. But I haven't been there or done that. So?
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Very well said.

I think Cop 1 and Cop 2 were kinda in shock about what was going on in front of them and they didn't control the situation. The two of them should have been able to get the guy on the ground and cuffed faster and more effectively if cop 3 would have been out of the way.

Another mistake - Be more aware of your surroundings. Punching a guy right in front of your own camera............:p Can't even be a bystander recording it on a cell phone. You gotta do it right there on your own camera. Not smarter than the average bear....

196632d1263317949-lierbike-vs-hyperbike-farva-punchisize.jpg
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Someone spits on me and they are definitely getting punched in the face. Maybe even a kick in Charlie and the boys.