Home Main Category Hunting

WV Mascot shoots a bear with school issued muzzleloader

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,851 Senior Member
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    'Bout 6-7 years ago I shot a 237 pound female black bear out of a tree up on Brasstown Bald Mountain in North Georgia several miles from my old home. Posted a few photos at the time, but don't have them now and wish that I did! I used my .50cal Hershel House flintlock, 44 inch barrel, and tried for a shot between the eyes at about 42 yards. Don't ever try that! The kill-zone target is too small! Anyhow, the flint snapped when I shot wounding the bear in the head, so not only did I have to spend time reloading, but I had to unscrew the flint and change it out :yikes:! My "Sidekick" who was with me (Teach knows him) turned to me and said...."sure hope you can run faster than you can reload"! That was one time when I honestly wished that I had a rifle and some of those" new-fangled brass cases with enclosed powder and a projectile" that our "New Zealand Buddy" recently teased me about :rotflmao:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Bear hunting can be fun.

0c5847de.jpg
    You know it was stupid sorry for the offense, sometimes I do get carried away.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    The bear did look small, but I'm not a good judge of bear size. I wish the article had stated its size. It was probably big enough to rip the guy who shot it a new backend, though, had he made a bad shot. Even with the dogs, it's not the same as shooting a deer. So, I have to give the guy credit for that aspect of the hunt.

But, that aside, the article was crap. It was anti-gun and anti-hunting, any way you slice it.

The Texas A&M Corps of Cadet seniors carry swords on their belts at all home games. It's a long standing and time honored tradition. These swords are not toys, and could be used as lethal weapons. I don't know if they have sharp edges, but they could still do some damage. I wonder when some moron is going to make a fuss about this?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    The last line of the article linked tells the writer's "political leaning" :roll:
    That line was totally useless to the entire piece. So, because he COULd load a gun that is otherwise given a blank charge, he will up and kill someone at a game? So, I guess it's worth noting the soldiers using blanks for the 21 gun salute at a veteran's funeral could load up real ammo and slay someone in attendance. Is that something realstic to expect or worth pointing out?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,592 Senior Member
    I read earlier today that the WV mascot was cited for not wearing orange when he shot the bear.
    I've told all 'yall before about estimating a black bear's weight, but it looks like no one paid any attention!

When the bear is up a tree, or holed up in a rock cliff and you first get up on him, the bear weighs 7-8 hundred pounds. When you shoot him and he hits the ground, weight drops to about 250-300 pounds. THEN....when you start dragging him down off the mountain through laurel thickets he suddenly weighs about 1,000 pounds even after you've gutted him out :wink:
    I've told all 'yall before about estimating a black bear's weight, but it looks like no one paid any attention!

When the bear is up a tree, or holed up in a rock cliff and you first get up on him, the bear weighs 7-8 hundred pounds. When you shoot him and he hits the ground, weight drops to about 250-300 pounds. THEN....when you start dragging him down off the mountain through laurel thickets he suddenly weighs about 1,000 pounds even after you've gutted him out :wink:

Yep, you have been bear hunting, man all you said is so true and funny how it works out that way.
    As far as historical accuracy with the WV Mascot, I see so much wrong with the rifle that it's funny as hell. Nothing...I repeat Nothing...about the rifle OR his dress is authenic! 'Course it isn't supposed to be based on the purpose of the Mascot scenario! Just catches the eye of someone like me who is a "sticker" for accuracy when it comes to Period pieces and outfits :tooth:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,851 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That line was totally useless to the entire piece. So, because he COULd load a gun that is otherwise given a blank charge, he will up and kill someone at a game? So, I guess it's worth noting the soldiers using blanks for the 21 gun salute at a veteran's funeral could load up real ammo and slay someone in attendance. Is that something realstic to expect or worth pointing out?

University of Texas has a cannon that fires 4 10-guage blanks, and it is fired off at the beginning and end of every game, at kickoffs, and after every score. I imagine it could be loaded with real rounds and do some damage in a stadium.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Kansas State used to have artillery pieces brought over by the Big Red One to shoot off. Typical liberal malarkey.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY