Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Portland mall shooting- - - -

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
There has been a shooting situation in a mall in Klackamas Oregon, with Fox News reporting the shooter is dead, along with at least one other person. Is it too much to hope than an armed citizen punched his ticket?
Jerry

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Hope so! :cuss: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,809 Senior Member
    Supposedly he shot two people and then himself. Armed with an AR15 and wearing a hockey mask.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Amatuer fool!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    More fuel in the fire to pass legislation making semi-auto rifles Title II firearms.

Cowards who would injure and kill others unknown to them and not involved in their emotional mess deserve a far worse fate than they usually deal to themselves with suicide. They are too afraid to take their own life in the benign environment of their living room and must work up the nerve to shoot themselves only after shooting others. They take with them a false delusion that their final act of violence will grant the some place in history obviously imagined by a childish sense of naivity that they will receive notariety as a martyr and we will take pity on their woes. I truly hate these people with all I have.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    Amen to all that. Why oh why do they have to harm others?
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Such a weird type of thing to do anyway, but of course the guy was nuts. But what I don't understand is what makes these crazies all do the same thing -- dress in camos and act like, well, mall ninjas. Then they end up shooting themselves almost immediately anyway.

Of course the sooner the idiot is shot dead the better, but I simply don't see even a twisted type of logic to the behavior.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,295 Senior Member
    Horrible. My prayers go out to the people and families impacted by this.

The news is reporting Body Armor again.

My guess- this guy will have been in a Guy Fawkes mask and a cheap 'tactical' vest. Also, there will have been a no weapons sign at the mall entrance.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Here's an update off cable news. Shooter is 22 yr old. Stole rifle from friend, AR. Was wearing a load bearing vest no body armor. And a Jason type of hockey mask. Had been evicted from his apartment.
    3 victims, 2 dead. 54 yr old woman and 42 yr old married father. 3rd is 15 yr old girl, in hosp. shot in torso. Then shot himself.
    That'a all the cops are saying so far.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    samzhere wrote: »
    Such a weird type of thing to do anyway, but of course the guy was nuts. But what I don't understand is what makes these crazies all do the same thing -- dress in camos and act like, well, mall ninjas. Then they end up shooting themselves almost immediately anyway.

Of course the sooner the idiot is shot dead the better, but I simply don't see even a twisted type of logic to the behavior.

I saw a documentary that explored this phenomenon. It studied the workplace shootings of the 80's and early 90's within the US Postal Service which eventually coined the cliche "going postal." It reached a relatively unspecified conclusion as to the reason this extreme violence is the last emotional outpoor before suicide. The postal shootings and public shootings like Aurora, Colorado differ in the regard that the postal shootings were aimed at fellow employees who did them "wrong" while public shootings have random victims.

BUt it all begins with them being a coward.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Here's an update off cable news. Shooter is 22 yr old. Stole rifle from friend, AR. Was wearing a load bearing vest no body armor. And a Jason type of hockey mask. Had been evicted from his apartment.
    3 victims, 2 dead. 54 yr old woman and 42 yr old married father. 3rd is 15 yr old girl, in hosp. shot in torso. Then shot himself.
    That'a all the cops are saying so far.

Stolen...of course.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Stolen...of course.

Well, that eliminates the anti's call that instant background checks don't work. At least in this case.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I saw a documentary that explored this phenomenon. etc etc

Thanks for the feedback, Jason. Interesting info. And yeah, I understand the "going postal" thing, workplace shootings where the guy is "getting back" at co-workers and boss after being fired.

My specific "head shaker" question relates however to these mall ninja shooter guys. I mean, they've got to have seen previous shooting coverage on the news and you'd think they would avoid the same mistakes (being a more successful crazy guy would seem to be a plus for them).

Of course there's no real logic in it anyway. The definition of insane, I suppose, that they behave insanely. Duh.

Sad for the people who were shot, of course, and all the turmoil on other innocents nearby. What a jerk.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    I'm still hoping for the day when someone with a CCW is there and puts the scumbag down before he can kill some innocent victim.
    Luckily in this case the guy decided to off himself fairly quickly after he started rather than trying to achieve maximum effectiveness of his attack.

And that there is the sheer lunatic genius we are up against now....and the true terror of not being able to predict the next lunatic. Columbine CO....two angry teens try for a massive body count with IEDs and failed....but took quite a few innocents with them with the firearms they had one them....and the spurt of school shootings that followed that year........those boys in Arkansas.....pull a fire alarm and shoot people coming out of the bldg.....sick, but deviously brilliant if your goal is for a body-count......George Kennard in Killeen TX.....drove his truck through the window of Luby's Cafeteria and executed 2 dozen people point blank with 2 9mm handguns. The man in San Yisidro CA.....gunned down a McDonalds with a semi-automatic version of an AK-47....what makes that really sick was the shooting of small children......Virginia Tech.....the worst school shooting in US history......32 people killed and 17 wounded.....by normal 9mm handgun. James Holmes, Aurora CO.....enters a movie theater and kills 12 and wounds almost 70 other.....all with legally bought firearms....it's not the tool, it's the tool behind the tool. Look at the MO and see the mad genius behind it.....go into a crowded "target-rich environment" and wreak havoc.

Tim Mcveigh enacted the biggest act of Domestic Terrorism when he blew up the Federal McMurray bldg in Oklahoma City.....with products legally procured....the sick mind was the trigger.

Then there's the grand-daddy of them all......September 11th 2001. We all know you have to be bonkers to strap on a "suicide vest" or put one on a child.....but no one in the world save for a few lunatics would've thought to take fully loaded commercial jet transport aircrafts and turn them into guided missiles and target places of American economy and stature rather than viable military targets. Sick minds yes.....but when you delve deeper into the ID of human consciousness and mentality, you see a perverse logic to their actions and learn to analyze that and work towards counter-acting it to prevent a future occurance.

Wow! Sorry I got a little deep on that guys...sorry, but just spent some time with a friend in SF home on leave from the dust-box (AF-stan)....crazy is everywhere!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    That's Murrah Building....Nice rant though....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Picky-snit.....:tooth: Dontca have a dog to shoot somewhere!?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Recent update on this one- - - - -a private citizen is claiming he drew down on the shooter, then decided not to fire because of bystanders in his line of sight. The shooter made eye contact, realized he was becoming a target while he cleared a FTF, and offed himself. I have no idea if the story is true, but it was on the Yahoo home page a while ago.
    Jerry
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Recent update on this one- - - - -a private citizen is claiming he drew down on the shooter, then decided not to fire because of bystanders in his line of sight. The shooter made eye contact, realized he was becoming a target while he cleared a FTF, and offed himself. I have no idea if the story is true, but it was on the Yahoo home page a while ago.
    Jerry

There are video interviews with the guy that drew on the shooter on the local news there. I don't have the link right now but the story seems legit.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Two late comments on this shooting:

My son's third story office window faces the entrance to the Klackamas Towne Center mall. He called me a few minutes after this all went down to reassure us that he was OK. He said he didn't know there were that many (hundreds) of police in all of Oregon and hoped this wasn't just a reason to get them all in one spot for even worse harm.

On another sick note: I'll bet our sick whack-o is really PO'd that Conneticut's sick whack-o stole his fame.

Hawk