Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Dick's Sporting Goods halts sale of 'certain semiauto rifles'

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
Looks like it's getting an early start. Fear of public opinion is limiting places to buy 'certain semiauto rifles'.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/justice/connecticut-dicks-guns/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_mostpopular+%28RSS%3A+Most+Popular%29

(CNN) -- Dick's Sporting Goods, one of the largest sporting goods retailers in the world, says it has removed all guns from its store nearest to Newtown, Connecticut, and is suspending the sale of certain kinds of semi-automatic rifles from its chains nationwide.

The move was made out of respect for the victims and families of last week's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting "during this time of national mourning," the store said in a statement Tuesday morning.

"We continue to extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by this terrible tragedy," the statement said.

It was unclear how long the store will keep the suspension in place for the guns, known as 'modern sporting rifles.'

It's also not known whether this is the first time the store has taken such a step after a shooting that made national headlines.

A search of Dick's Sporting Goods website early Tuesday morning showed a blank page for "modern sporting rifles."

The move comes after reports that investigators were trying to determine whether the gunman in the Newtown shooting, Adam Lanza, tried to buy a gun from a Dick's Sporting Goods store in the city of Danbury, about 12 miles away.

"At this time, reports that the suspect visited one of our stores last week have not been confirmed by law enforcement," the sporting goods store said in a statement. "Based on our records, we can confirm that no firearms were sold to the suspect identified in this case."
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,253 Senior Member
    Shoot, now I gotta take all the stuff back I bought there and get it somewhere else before Christmas...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Ever since I bought a shotgun there and they had me fill out a bunch of crap that was above and beyond the 4473 like "Do you have children in the house?" then walked me out the door before handing it over to me-- I haven't seemed to want to spend money there again. Screw them. They need to get out of the gun business anyway and concentrate on selling soccer balls and such.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There's not one of their stores anywhere near me so they won't get any of my $$$ in any case. I kinda think the move was there to make the soccer moms happy, anyway. Maybe they should also do a name change, as in Dick's Sporting Goods will be changing it's name to Richard Cranium's Sporting Goods. :roll::tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Piss on Dick's Sporting Goods.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    BTW I didn't even know they sold AR's until I saw someone here picked one up on BF. I've never seen them on the shelf in their stores. Typically all they carry cheap .22's, shotguns, some bolt actions, and a few leverguns. They've never carried pistols either. For all intents and purposes they have always been the "Fud" big box sporting goods store.

They also had a whole display rack of Troy accessories (slings, mags, grips, etc)....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Too bad, it was good to be able to find stuff there that the LGS did not have.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Mike S.Mike S. New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    We don't have a Dick's Sporting Goods store in my neck of the woods, but I would stop shopping there if we did as a result of this. Sounds as though they chose a fitting name for their retail operation.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”- Thomas Jefferson
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    Just this evening they (Dick's) sent me an advertising email for hunting clothing, etc. I sent them back a polite, reasoned missive informing them that I would no longer buy anything at their stores, and that I was "unsubscribing" from their email advertising service. I calmly told them that now's the time for the industry and its customers to band together against the hysteria that is sure to come re black rifles, not to add fuel to the anti-gunners' fire by caving in to pressures that haven't even started yet. I then answered a little survey that they provided, and promptly unsubscribed. Voting with my dollars and my feet is all any one man can do.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Their name is appropriate...and they'll never see a dime of my money.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Walmart has done the same, removing their DPMS Bushmaster AR's from the shelves...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • jdmjdm New Member Posts: 27 New Member
    Its a shame how these stores will capitalize on something that is popular until it becomes "insensitive."
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    I got my Colt 6920 12 days ago at wally world. Nick of time. Price will double by Feb.

Rootbrain
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Dick's Sporting Goods took over Galyan's in my neck of the woods quite a few years ago.....shortly thereafter, they stopped selling handguns cause it wasn't in their corporate principle.....I stopped in a few stores since then, but have never bought any of their merchandise.....I don't buy dick from Dick's if that's their attitude.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    Walmart has done the same, removing their DPMS Bushmaster AR's from the shelves...

Not according to WalMart....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/guns-stock-wal-mart-magazine-191639000.html
    Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, said yesterday that it would continue to sell guns, including rifles like the one used at Newtown, where 26 people, most of them children, were killed on Dec. 14. By contrast, Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. (DKS) suspended sales of similar guns at its more than 500 stores.

Searches of five kinds of semi-automatic rifles on Wal- Mart's website showed them to be out of stock at stores in five states, including Pennsylvania, Kansas and Alabama. Wal-Mart doesn't sell guns online, instead asking customers to input a zip code to see if their local store carries a specific weapon.

"We remain dedicated to the safe and responsible sale of firearms in areas of the country where they are sold,"
    David Tovar, a spokesman for Wal-Mart, said yesterday. He didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on this story.

As it should be.....