Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Paging orchidman: post-Sandy Hook fact check?

gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior MemberPosts: 1,018 Senior Member
Alec (or any other of our down-under friends) -

Those ladies of morning liberal drivel on NBC Today (Kathie Lee and Hoda) were conducting an interview that threw out this statistic.

"Since Australia banned assault weapons, there has not been one mass shooting there in the past 16 years."

To your knowledge is there any basis to this statement? And if there have been no shootings, what of China-style mass knifings (as happened the day after the Connecticut event, with a reported 20 children and one adult victim)?

Replies

• SteveSSteveS New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Alec (or any other of our down-under friends) -

Those ladies of morning liberal drivel on NBC Today (Kathie Lee and Hoda) were conducting an interview that threw out this statistic.

"Since Australia banned assault weapons, there has not been one mass shooting there in the past 16 years."

To your knowledge is there any basis to this statement? And if there have been no shootings, what of China-style mass knifings (as happened the day after the Connecticut event, with a reported 20 children and one adult victim)?

While 'Port Arthur' style shootings may have not occurred, there have been plenty of underworld and gang related shootings in Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. No 'assault weapons' here(although I did see an M1 rifle in a cache of gang weapons on TV), mainly handguns & repeating rifles, with the odd shotgun. Handguns have been severely restricted to the ordinary citizen for well over 60 years but it has had no effect on the criminal element's ability to obtain them.

I hope this has clarified somewhat the differences between the hyperbole of the talking heads and the reality here in Oz.

Historically, mass shootings were almost unheard of in Australia anyway, until the advent of Gun Control Inc in the early seventies. After Port Arthur and the ban imposed by the then Prime Minister John Howard, Rebecca Peters (head of GCI) decided that her job in Australia was finished; the US was in need of her special talents and moved from Australia to the US to continue her crusade. There have been no 'Port Arthur's since she left. Take from that what you will. Peters is rabidly anti gun and is financed by George Soros - look him up. She is a member of IANSA and is listed as a funder (by Soros, as she appears to have no significant personal fortune). Underestimate her ability to garner political leverage through the Soros association in the US just as she did in Australia, at your peril.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    SteveS:
    Welcome aboard.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    SteveS wrote: »
    While 'Port Arthur' style shootings may have not occurred, there have been plenty of underworld and gang related shootings in Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. No 'assault weapons' here(although I did see an M1 rifle in a cache of gang weapons on TV), mainly handguns & repeating rifles, with the odd shotgun. Handguns have been severely restricted to the ordinary citizen for well over 60 years but it has had no effect on the criminal element's ability to obtain them.

I hope this has clarified somewhat the differences between the hyperbole of the talking heads and the reality here in Oz.

Historically, mass shootings were almost unheard of in Australia anyway, until the advent of Gun Control Inc in the early seventies. After Port Arthur and the ban imposed by the then Prime Minister John Howard, Rebecca Peters (head of GCI) decided that her job in Australia was finished; the US was in need of her special talents and moved from Australia to the US to continue her crusade. There have been no 'Port Arthur's since she left. Take from that what you will. Peters is rabidly anti gun and is financed by George Soros - look him up. She is a member of IANSA and is listed as a funder (by Soros, as she appears to have no significant personal fortune). Underestimate her ability to garner political leverage through the Soros association in the US just as she did in Australia, at your peril.

Beat me to it SteveS. Welcome to the best firearms related forum on the net.

Have a look at this link gunrunner................... http://www.gunsandcrime.org/auresult.html

While there have been no more 'massacres' the crime rate has not dropped as much as one would think considering the restrictive gun laws which were put in place and the resulting gun 'buy back'.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Thanks, mates. SteveS, welcome, and I for one appreciate your answer. And Alec, thanks for the link! Makes some excellent points for intelligent conversation.

Although I'm afraid any conversation with the grabbers on this issue will be about as intelligent as playing keep-away with a starving wolverine using a steak.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member

Although I'm afraid any conversation with the grabbers on this issue will be about as intelligent as playing keep-away with a starving wolverine using a steak.
    I think you're right.

One of CNN's talking heads kept calling the Exec Dir. of Gun Owners of America "stupid" for suggesting that arming teachers was a better idea
    edited to add:
    It was Piers Morgan
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/12/piers-morgan-calls-gun-advocate-dangerous-stupid-idiot-152415.html?hp=r10
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Piers Morgan is a sanctimonious, pompous blowhard, exactly the kind of imperialistic better-than-thou Brit that we worked so hard to send home two hundred and thirty-odd years ago.

IMHO.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    SteveS wrote: »
    Historically, mass shootings were almost unheard of in Australia anyway, until the advent of Gun Control Inc in the early seventies. After Port Arthur and the ban imposed by the then Prime Minister John Howard, Rebecca Peters (head of GCI) decided that her job in Australia was finished; the US was in need of her special talents and moved from Australia to the US to continue her crusade. There have been no 'Port Arthur's since she left. Take from that what you will.

Well, those who don't care to educate themselves on this issue will say it's due to her hard work and the ensuing lack of deadly weapons. I'm guessing it's actually because Aussies don't want her to come back...

Seriously, doesn't Oz have as high a percentage of crazies as other countries, or do you guys feed 'em to the Crocs? :roll2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin