Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Wayne LaPierre speaking live right now

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
Just saw a protester jump up with a hand made sign, screaming "NRA has blood on it's hands"

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Just saw a protester jump up with a hand made sign, screaming "NRA has blood on it's hands"

Gotta love how anti-gunners will use one enumerated right to trash another.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,904 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Gotta love how anti-gunners will use one enumerated right to trash another.

That's exactly right.

And that is exactly the kind of IDIOT that our government is going to side with, and use emotional responses to trump rational thinking and destroy our rights. :angry:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Found an article that said Adam Lanza's mother took him to a gun range days before the shooting.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    He brought up a cop in every school again. He's done that before and it fell on deaf ears then. And Obama's deleting the school emergency planning funds from the budget. He also said in a round about way that all that foreign aid going overseas could be better used here to make schools here in the U.S. more secure from attack. And suggesting retired LE and former military looking for a job could be trained to do the security, and the NRA has the training centers already in place. Actually proposing things that would work. I suspect it fell on deaf ears, though.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Funny how, when bad things happen, we call people with guns to come to our aid.

I am waiting for the scathing ridicule from the media at large of LaPierre's speech.
    It's coming. The media is going to destroy the real message and replace it with thier own opinions. And that idiot woman is going to show up more on the news than the press conference itself....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Funny how, when bad things happen, we call people with guns to come to our aid.

This is the point I've always tried to make. I change flat tires myself, I do not wait for AAA.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Warning: Longest post I’ve ever posted........

I hate to say it, but I think that this talk of arming teachers, school officials or even talking of putting armed security or law enforcement in schools is not the right thing to be pushing right now. I think gun people like us and folks like Lapierre and some politicians saying that we need armed security in schools is going to be used very negatively right now.

Before the pitchforks, tar and feathers comes out, let me say that I do believe in allowing teachers and school officials to be armed. And I think that having armed security in schools would be very helpful. I just don't think it should be portrayed as it is right now. I think a better direction is to talk about ALLOWING teachers and school officials with a CCL to CHOOSE to carry IF THEY WANT. In other words, let the CCL laws work and cut out all the barriers that create gun free zones. If a teacher has a CCL and wants to carry their gun, let them carry it concealed. As long as it is done properly, the students or anybody else will never know it's there. But the way it's being told by the media right now, we want SWAT officers with machine guns patrolling every school. That’s not what is being said, but that’s how the media and the gun grabbers portray it.

Several times I've seen that picture that is supposedly a teacher with students with an AK strapped across her back. REALLY! With the anger and emotions running high after last week’s shooting, just a hint of something like that is going to get all these anti gunners even more stirred up. What Lapierre said earlier about putting armed security in schools and needing a good guy with a gun to deal with a bad guy with a gun is already being twisted by the media. It's hard enough trying to have a reasonable discussion with these idiot gun grabbers. When we start telling them we want to put guns on people and send them into schools, all we are doing is fueling their fire. Now they twist it around and make us look like blood thirsty savages that want to put guns in front of their kids. I think armed adults in schools is a great idea. But explain that concept in better way than a picture showing a teacher with an AK.

As I mentioned in other posts, these people are going to do everything they can to make us look like evil demons. That is the way they work and that is what they are doing. If you make so much money per year, you are evil and should “pay your fair share.” If you say otherwise you're a greedy, rich, fat devil. Class warfare. If you support 2A after all that has happened, you are the devil and you have "blood on your hands." It's funny how I saw that one coming. No, it really isn't funny. Anyone against gun control right now will be beat down by the fools who know nothing but what they learn from the media.

My point is we will get nowhere simply trying to tell these people to put guns in schools. I think we need to focus harder on education and mental health treatment. I was really hoping Lapierre would talk a lot more about offering gun safety and gun education classes in schools. I was really hoping he’d talk more about offering more public education opportunities. Get out in the public and educate them, rather than tell them to put guns in schools. These people have a negative opinion about guns because that’s what they have learned. We have our opinions because we learned otherwise. I know that education and training is what the NRA does and I think they are good at it. But use this opportunity to expand on that, advertise it, and put more opportunities out there. Develop more classes and family oriented material. Invest a little more into the community. Be more proactive, less reactive.
    Saying, “fight guns with guns” is not going to work on these people. They think banning guns is the answer and telling them more guns is the answer isn’t going to work. Leave guns alone. Focus on the real problems. As we all know, guns are not the problem. Why do we freakin’ need to even have the discussion?!!! Violence in school is not the problem, it’s the symptom.

Common sense approaches are not going to work with these people. They aren’t smart enough to understand. We have to go about this in a way that doesn’t make them even more stupid.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,058 Senior Member
    The real message, and I didn't even listen to it, is to lawmakers, and is if you mess with us, expect the full force of the NRA to come down on you the next election. That's what the speech was all about.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    About cops/security in schools. I live in admittedly one of the poorest counties in TN. We're a small county, too. BUT...........we put a county deputy in the elementary schools, junior high school, and high school over ten years ago and funded by property taxes. If we can do that in a county that has no real industry to tax and rely on the property owners for most of the county operating funds, I find it highly suspicious and disingenuous that places much more able to fund this than we are say they cannot do it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Good security wouldn't cost as much as one bad teacher (Not saying most, or even many, teachers are bad, but there are a few in every school.).
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Here is a link to the official transcript from the NRA. Please read this so you know EXACTLY what was said and wasn't said. There are people out there trying to turn what they said into something else. He makes some very good points and lays out what can be an honest and sincere effort to curb school shootings...
    http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    A very telling statement...

"Is the press and political class here in Washington so consumed by
    fear and hatred of the NRA and America’s gun owners that you're
    willing to accept a world where real resistance to evil monsters is a
    lone, unarmed school principal left to surrender her life to shield the
    children in her care?"
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine