Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

My take on the CT shooting......

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 17,220 Senior Member
OK, here we go....my take on the CT tragedy...it's going to be a little heartless and harsh, but the truth often is....if you can't take it, stop reading now.

Seems as if everyone wants to point a finger at something or someone that caused this. Some want to blame a certain kind of firearm, some want to blame the mental health system, blah, blah, blah....Lemme tell you. if there is one person committing one act with whom the blame for this falls on squarely besides the lunatic shooter, it's the lunatic shooters mother and NOT because she owned an AR-15 and a couple of handguns.

She is culpable in her own death and the deaths of 28 others simply because she KNEW she had a perpetually immature, developmentally disabled person in her house and she didn't secure her firearms and ammunition in a manner to render them inaccessible to that person.

Imagine what a gun safe with a combination known only to her would have accomplished.... Moral of this story....if it's not in the immediate control of a responsible adult or you have people in your home who you even THINK can't be trusted around firearms...Lock em up....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Can't argue with that. When you are the responsible adult, you have to be responsible.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    So, you mean to tell me that if that woman (:angel2:) had secured her guns in a safe or some way that would keep her son from having access to them, he wouldn't have been able to use her guns to kill innocent people?

Oh well. We need to ban assault weapons now to prevent this from happening again.......
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    OK, here we go....my take on the CT tragedy...it's going to be a little heartless and harsh, but the truth often is....if you can't take it, stop reading now.

Seems as if everyone wants to point a finger at something or someone that caused this. Some want to blame a certain kind of firearm, some want to blame the mental health system, blah, blah, blah....Lemme tell you. if there is one person committing one act with whom the blame for this falls on squarely besides the lunatic shooter, it's the lunatic shooters mother and NOT because she owned an AR-15 and a couple of handguns.

She is culpable in her own death and the deaths of 28 others simply because she KNEW she had a perpetually immature, developmentally disabled person in her house and she didn't secure her firearms and ammunition in a manner to render them inaccessible to that person.

Imagine what a gun safe with a combination known only to her would have accomplished.... Moral of this story....if it's not in the immediate control of a responsible adult or you have people in your home who you even THINK can't be trusted around firearms...Lock em up....

All she needed was a safe. And 26 people would still be alive!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Agreed 100%. Now how do you convince folks to do this?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,534 Senior Member
    If the guns had been in a safe, would everyone be alive today? We really don't know.

However, as gun owners I feel we do have a responsibility to make sure that our firearms don't fall into the wrong hands. And that can include family. A gun safe would have been warranted. Or if one was used, keeping the combination out of her son's hands was prudent.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -a brilliant kid with a loner personality- - - -he's got enough personal problems to withdraw from normal interaction with other human beings- - - -Mom's afraid of him to the point she's considering having him committed- - - - -he spends most of his time playing violent video games- - - - -before he started getting home-schooled he chose to use a computer instead of talking to his classmates- - - - -what could possibly go wrong with this scenario? Keeping the guns locked away securely would have seemed to be a logical thing to do, but none of us were there to see the whole picture.
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Its always easy to Monday morning QB these things. I doubt the real picture of what happened there will ever be discovered. It will get covered up in the rush to blame firearms and ban as many as possible.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,253 Senior Member
    Does anyone even know how the guns were stored???

How secure is secure???

I have one of these lockers....

s7_223516_imageset_01?$main-Large$

When my Bushmaster fell into the linkage and jammed it up, it only took 60 seconds to drill around the lock with a plain 1 1/4'' bi metal hole saw.

Do we all have to buy.....

ftknoxx400.jpg

This nutbag was crazy but not stupid. Mom's guns were the easiest to get. He would have figured another way if they were locked up....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    This nutbag was crazy but not stupid. Mom's guns were the easiest to get. He would have figured another way if they were locked up....
    I like where you're going with this, but in this kid's case, that may not be true. IOW, he's so shy and neurotic, and fearful of human interaction, that he may not have wanted to risk getting caught in someone else's house, trying to steal a gun or three. Then again, who knows? I sure don't.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,570 Senior Member
    :up:
    Well said JH :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Look, I can agree that responsible owners need to be...well, responsible. Obviously, if he couldn't have gotten ahold of her guns, then her guns wouldn't have been used to kill all those people. However, does anybody suppose that he wouldn't have figured some way to do his mayhem if that was his intent? Does the method of attack really even matter at that point? Her actions could be described as irresponsible, even stupid. His were pure evil. There may be many 'reasons' this happened, but there is only one person at fault.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,220 Senior Member
    I never absolved the shooter of his responsibility....the final act is most certainly on him. However, there is most certainly contributory negligence on the part of a woman whose child had become so unmanageable that she was considering having him committed. I'm sure that Mom never dreamed that her son would go shoot up a school, but one way or another, those firearms were (obviously) accessible to her son. Point is....they shouldn't have been. Could he have figured out another way to commit mayhem? Sure he could have ...but the way those firearms were secured (or lack thereof) contributed in a huge way.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Not defending anyone, just pointing out a fact that affects most human beings, it is very hard for a parent to accept any negative truth about their kids even when it is right in their faces be it big or small, denial is strong in situations as this which is quite easy to ignore when you are on the other side of the fence. Again not defending anyone, just pointing out what is a fact IMO.

A safe could had been good, a psychiatrist at the right time too, maybe some discipline at home, an armed guard, armed teacher at the school, someone brave (and fast) with a baseball bat, etc., many things could had or could had not. As I keep on repeating all the info we have comes from the mass media, this unless someone here has direct access to the event so it is like stabbing at air in the dark. How do we even know if the guns where not kept on a locked safe and the killer somehow circumvented this, has this been established by a reliable source?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".