Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Having trouble finding the answer...

CynicalCitizenCynicalCitizen New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
I've been trying to find data on the totla amount of legally purchased "assault rifles" are in the U.S. to debunk some anti-gun rhetoric that killings commited using "assault rifles" is some hugh number. What I'm trying to tell them is: There are "x" million of legally owned assault rifles in the U.S. of that number only "y" number when involved in mass shootings, which means that "z" % of all "assault rifles" legally purchased in the U.S. are involved in mass shootings. I seem to be finding various figures that seem to lump semi automatic rifles in with other rifles - or in a general category of legally purchased "guns" Can anyone point me to some actual figures? Google seems to be loaded with anti-gun search results that are more guesses and opinions than fact.

Many thanks!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    If you're looking for a total # of just AR-15 rifles, this is what I found from 2010.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-279769.html

NRA-ILA's response is here:
    Friday, March 12, 2010

The BATFE recently released U.S. firearm manufacturer production data showing that during 2008, AR-15s
    accounted for eight percent of all firearms and 22 percent of all rifles made in the U.S. and not exported.
    The number of AR-15s in 2008 -- over 337,000 -- is staggering, but may have been topped in 2009. And,
    at the current rate of production, the total number of AR-15s in the U.S. will exceed 2.5 million some time
    this year, and that doesn't even count production before 1986, the figures for which are not available.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    First off, you need to check your information.
    An actual "assault rifle", by definition, is capable of full auto (more than one shot per trigger pull) fire. None of the new AR-15's sold to the public since 1994 can, by federal law, be capable of full auto fire.

So while they may LOOK like the military assault rifles, they are NOT.

Just because the media calls danged near ANY long arm used in a crime an "assault rifle" doesn't make it so. You can call a snake a cow as many times as you wish, and you're still not going to get any milk from it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    Dang, they call pistols assault weapons.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Figures don't lie, but liars figure". The mainstream media is going to shout their lies at the top of their lungs, and nothing we can do or say will stop them. Concentrate on the only thing that matters, making the politicians too afraid of being unemployed to do anything stupid. No matter how logical or reasonable we are, even armed with facts and figures, we're going to be painted with a broad brush as a bunch of bloodthirsty killers. Put the effort where it counts, supporting pro-2nd. Amendment candidates for office, all the way from city councils to the Senate. When a wise man argues with a fool, it's hard to tell which is which!
    Jerry