Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

why does a Connecticut Mom need a military style rifle?

JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior MemberPosts: 1,726 Senior Member
I'm likely to be asked this question in the next couple of days..

I need a "shut down" sound byte answer.

I was going to say, "Why do we 'need' anything? Why do we 'need' a car? Bicycles are easier on the environment, and if we have to go too far, we can ride to a point we can obtain public transportation." But if I was an anti- I could easily turn that around..

"We should ask her."

"The only two people that will ever know are dead."

"She thought she did. Who are we to judge?" --- I kinda like that one.. Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, lest YE be judged"

I did get told the other day, "The Second Amendment was written during a time we didn't have these kind of weapons. The Founding Fathers never would have allowed them."
To which I replied,
"because that was "state of the art" then.
When the percussion cap was invented 75 years later.. we gave that an OK
even though you could reload quicker as you didn't need to fill a priming pan without spilling it..
when pepperbox Derringers arrived.. gave that a pass too..
proper lady's gun..
revolvers.. so you could fire six shots without reloading..
Go west, young man..
cartridge firearms.. first use of the Henry rifle and the 44 rimfire it used was Union forces in the Civil War..
no one ever talked about limiting their magazines or banning lever actions..

Browning developed the semi-automatic pistol.. no one thought twice about it..
GI's slogged it through the trenches of France and Belgium, then bought their own when they got home..

it wasn't until Prohibition when the government finally learned that, Yes, you CAN limit the rights of Americans and get away with it did we start having "gun control" problems..
first to go was the Tommy gun. Then once they got away with that, it was "No more firearms in Chicago or New York City."
and it's been an issue ever since.
In the 47 school shootings in the US SINCE Columbine..
Why now?
"
Never laugh at your wife's choices.
You are one of them.

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    parking this here so I don't loose the link..

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

(guess I could have bookmarked it..)
    You are one of them.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    "I'm in the unorganized militia and need a firearm compatible with the military in case I'm called to defend state or country in an emergency."

"The power of the sword, say the minority..., is in the hands of Congress. My friends and countrymen, it is not so, for The powers of the sword are in the hands of the yeomanry of America from sixteen to sixty. The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress has no power to disarm the militia. Their swords and every terrible implement of the soldier are the birthright of Americans. The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments but where, I trust in God, it will always remain, in the hands of the people." --Tench Coxe
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Need? Because it is my God given right as recognized by the second amendment of the Constitution. If you got a problem with that, I'll gladly pay for a one way ticket to France.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    None of our rights are based on need. For example freedom of speech and freedom of the press use a lot of words and expressions that are not needed, so why not outlaw them? why not ban the use of obscene words, or racist words, or ,etc. Our rights exist because we are a free people,at least for now.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    It is really simple. "The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is neither about needs nor wants. It is about rights. That amendment guarantees me the right to posses the same arms that the typical soldier uses for defense of myself, others, and the nation. I own these types of arms not only because I can, but because I understand that it is my civic duty to be armed in such a way that I may defend the country I love should the need arise."
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Was pretty good. I also will bookmark.
    Ditto. Thanks for the link.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Ditto. Good read, thanks.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    +1 - an excellent read.

My response to the "Why do you need such and so question: "Whether I need it or not, I'm not comfortable with allowing the government to decide what I need or don't need. Would you want the government to tell us we don't need the size house we have or the features our car comes with?"

As for the "2A did not mean to refer to the kinds of guns that are available now" argument, I just agree and say "There was no internet, radio, TV, or movies when the First was written but it has consistently been interpreted to apply to the evolution of technology. Why not the Second?"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    As for the "2A did not mean to refer to the kinds of guns that are available now" argument, I just agree and say "There was no internet, radio, TV, or movies when the First was written but it has consistently been interpreted to apply to the evolution of technology. Why not the Second?"

That is a good point. I think that the founding fathers only intended for us to exercise our 1st Amendment rights (like freedom of speech and press) by speaking from soap boxes and passing out handbills-- not broadcasting to the entire world at the speed of light. The First Amendment is obsolete and is no longer valid (sarcasm).
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    this is a great read on gun control, and has LOTS of 'sound bites' you can use:
    http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

And if you have not read his books, you should. They are fun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Because criminals can get them and they have no problem using them on decent citizens, preferably unarmed citizens and the government can't do a thing about this including being there when needed to save you in time so good folks must have the right to be able to defend themselves on the same level.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    GOOD one.
    You are one of them.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    GOOD one.

Ditto. Bullsi, that link was outstanding. Thanks.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Don't know if it matters or if it's even true, but I remember seeing something a few days ago stating that the vehicle the Bushmaster was found in was in no way connected to or owned by the shooter, it just happened to be in the vicinity of the school?
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    I need a "shut down" sound byte answer.

Why do we need a 1st amendment?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Need, because The Police: Have No Duty To Protect Individuals.
    http://gunowners.org/sk0503.htm

Judge's have ruled in many court cases that the police have no duty to protect individuals.

Here is an example of the legal reasoning:
    “The trial judges correctly dismissed both complaints. In a carefully reasoned Memorandum Opinion, Judge Hannon based his decision … on “the fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.” … The duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists. Holding that no special relationship existed between the police and appellants … Judge Hannon concluded that no specific legal duty existed.”
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    And as was said, who would presume to decide what an individual "needs" or doesn't need? And what part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand?

I would hate to think that such decisions would be left to the whims and ignorance of our elected officials, or worse yet some soulless, unelected bureaucrat drone.

Whole thing stinks, really......
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    "why does a Connecticut Mom need a military style rifle?" The answer is either "Doesn't everybody? Where's yours?" or "because of the threat to liberty from people like you who question the validity of Constitutional rights."
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "why does a Connecticut Mom need a military style rifle?"

Because a Cop is too large and heavy to carry around, and too expensive to feed ! :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Need? Because it is my God given right as recognized by the second amendment of the Constitution. If you got a problem with that, I'll gladly pay for a one way ticket to France.

Or Bejing, or Moscow, or Havana, or wherever your pink butt wants to go. When you get there, think real long and hard about what you left and what you'll miss. Then think about the differences in the governments of what you left and what you have there. Then maybe, just maybe, the second amendment will start to make sense to your dim wit uneducated brain.

But remember, we gave you a "ONE WAY" ticket, so stay your butt there where you belong!!!

(Gee I love that kind a talk!!! :roll2::roll2::roll2:)
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!