Sometimes I think people go to far where animals are concerned.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,718 Senior Member
Case in point.

Hero dog missing snout doing well
AAPDecember 26, 2012, 9:21 am

A veterinarian has some good news about a dog from the Philippines that became an international hero after sacrificing its snout to save two young girls.

Gina Davis with the University of California, Davis, tells the San Francisco Chronicle the dog named Kabang appears to have beaten the cancer it was suffering from.

Kabang still faces treatment for heartworms in its arteries before it can have the gaping wound on its face closed.

Newspapers in the Philippines reported that Kabang had her snout and upper jaw sheared off when she jumped in front of a speeding motorcycle, saving her owner's daughter and niece who were apparently about to be hit.

A nurse from New York state led a fundraising campaign to bring the dog to the US.

Surgeons are planning to perform two or three procedures for dental work, extractions and covering exposed roots.

They will then try to close the dog's wound and restore nasal functions. The dog's bony structures are currently exposed to air, increasing the chance of infection, Davis said.

Kabang may return to the Philippines in May or June. The bill for her treatment is expected to top $US10,000 ($A9660).

Davis said despite Kabang's many conditions, the dog appears in good spirits.
"She has come through everything very well," Davis said. "Her appetite is still good. She's still bright and happy."

Here is a link to the article.......caution, there is a pic that may be disturbing to some people esp children.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/15710796/hero-dog-missing-snout-doing-well/

While I admire the courage of this dog and have always treated my dogs like one of the family, 'ownership' also involves accepting responsibility and making decisions for the good of the dog. I dont think this is the case here.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Don't worry....PETA will come to the rescue financially.....those people wouldn't even consider throwing 10 grand for a person....even a valiant one. Makes me wonder if PETA even has a clue about all the stray dogs that get adopted by US units in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Gotta remember, not a whole lot of people remember "old Yeller" anymore.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    i think its funny that sometimes we treat/care our animals better then humans.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member
    Well, I like animals better than I like most humans.

If you want the real reason that she can treat that dog to the tune of 10000, it her money and she wants to. Kinda like why do you "need" a gun? Noneya bidness.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    I love my dog, but if he were to suffer such a horrific injury I would dispatch him appropriately and humanely. Sometimes we try way too hard to override nature, that dog would not survive in the wild.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Orchid, I agree. Reluctantly. If you've got a good vet for your pets, the vet will be honest with you and tell the truth-- "We could use surgery and chemo and spend maybe 6-7 thousand and the chances are only 20%, my recommendation is to let Barky go.

Sometimes there are greedy vets, and sometimes there are distraught people who will spend anything to save their pets. When my cat RJ was gravely ill a few years ago (while I was recuperatinig from heart bypass surgery a neighbor who looked GREAT as a catsitter ended up half-starving him).

So my vet said "We've got the premiere cat hospital just down the street, excellent folks, not cheap, I talked with them, they say they are 70-80% sure they can put RJ on intense IVs and save him totally, will cost you a couple thou. I figured the odds and said yes, having the money and nothing else to spend it on. And ol' RJ recovered totally and he's in fine health.

So it's a coin toss regardless but there's a line to draw somewhere. Point of my own RJ cat story is that he recovered totally and is not maimed or torn up or rebuilt but he's just his old fuzzy self, all his parts working. That makes a big difference.

Some years ago my old cat Vanilla -- whom I loved, had been with me for 17 years, got cancer. Vet found a small tumor, it was operable, tumor came out, and Vanilla had 2 more years of very good health. Then it came back gangbusters, and the vet and I looked at the Xrays, tumor was spread all through, cat was in pain, couldn't eat, had trouble walking, and you can only give so many pain pills.

It was time and we gave her the morphine. It was the right thing to do then, just as my spending some money on my new cat RJ was the right thing to do now.

Circumstances were different. With Vanilla it would be endless drugs and IVs and more surgery but the outcome was certain, and putting the cat through months of pain to sustain her life would have been selfish on my part. Conversely, with RJ the outcome was positive and definite, and not never-ending. And now he's a snoozy, fuzzy 19 year old buddy who just came over to me and rubbed against my leg and meowed hello.

You're totally correct re "ownership" because that entails a lot more than just owning an inanimate object. The wellbeing of the animal needs to be considered and overly devoting too much to preserving its life can be a selfish thing for the human. Question should be asked: will the animal enjoy a good life afterward?

Hell, I want the same thing for myself when my clock gets unwound too far.

It's not quantity of life, but quality of life that matters, right?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    This could also be a matter of resources, I suppose that Bill Gates and so on would not even flinch at that amount or lots more for a pet.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    It's not quantity of life, but quality of life that matters, right?

Yep.

Compare what the animals life was like before the injury and look at what its life will be after the injury.

Its her money to do whatever she wants with it. But she seems to be lacking in humanity from where I sit. ( Should that be Dogmanity.....)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    If the veterinarians can save this heroic dog, let them. Who cares what it costs. If he can be relieved of pain, and have function restored, great! BTW, there are precious few human beings I'd blow 10Gs on, unless they proved to be equally selfless, brave, and noble.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,636 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This dog is not going to have a normal life. Ever.

How do you deny your dog all that butt-sniffing?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Did you really have to put the pic in the thread?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Sometimes a visual bring's the point home.....now what if that a soldier from Afghanistan.....we'd all be singing a different tune.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!