Got another road trip planned

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,347 Senior Member
Some of you who have attended the SE Shoot have met my nephew, David. He's been in El Paso Texas for about a year while his fiance' completes her degree. He's moving to extreme northwest Washington State, where he's planning to attend graduate school, and I think there's a wedding in their plans pretty soon. I just bought the pickup truck he's been driving, an 85 Chevy 1/2 ton. He's moved up to a later-model 4WD for the cross-country drive, and I'm headed to El Paso to drive the older truck back home.

100_36881.JPG

Until the weather turned nasty, I was planning to ride the Gold Wing, and haul it back with the pickup, but unless things get a bunch better, I just might fly one way! Fighting snow, sleet, and gusty crosswinds on a bike just isn't my idea of fun! It's only 1300 miles, one way!
Jerry
Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Replies

  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Jerry, I was hoping you were gonna mention something along the lines that cross here. Would have loved to had you over for dinner and such. Either way, safe travels.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jerry, I was hoping you were gonna mention something along the lines that cross here. Would have loved to had you over for dinner and such. Either way, safe travels.

    Hey Jerry, be safe and enjoy the west Texas drive, I love that part of my trips to Arizona. I know you will enjoy yourself, but like I said be safe you ain't no young man anymore :that:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Thanks for the invite- - - - -Mary's sister lives in Fairborn, so we're up that way occasionally. I like to visit the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. The B-52D that's on display there is one I worked on in Okinawa in the early 1970's. I'll let you know the next time we're headed that direction.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Will do. Wright Patt isn't to far from here. It'd be interesting to go there myself. Never been.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Mike, the last time I was down that way was in December 1969. I was headed for California to leave for an overseas assignment with the Air Force. The Texas Rangers pulled me over at gunpoint about midnight one night- - - - -the car I was driving matched the description of one that had been involved in an armed robbery and a shooting a few miles away, right down to a burned-out tail light. Those guys don't mess around. I was facing a .357 and a riot gun, up close and personal!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    hes going to be in for some weather shock.
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Jerry you aren't going to be too far from the areas I roam. I'm shooting you a PM with the places I'll be and my timeline, maybe we can make them match up!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Thanks- - - -reply sent. It's going to be somewhat weather-dependent, as I might fly out instead of ride the bike if winter kicks in with a vengeance! I'm not enough of a masochist to ride a bike in freezing weather!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Thanks- - - -reply sent. It's going to be somewhat weather-dependent, as I might fly out instead of ride the bike if winter kicks in with a vengeance! I'm not enough of a masochist to ride a bike in freezing weather!
    Jerry

    Gonna be passing near Austin?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    It looks like it's I-30 Texarcana to Dallas, I-20 to almost El paso, and a short stretch of I-10. That's somewhat north of Austin. That itenerary is subject to change if I fly into El P. and just drive one way. It looks like the most likely schedule is around mid-January, with some routine medical stuff scheduled shortly after new year before I hit the road.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's a 3 hour drive north of here... if there is no traffic. and there is ALWAYS traffic.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I'm in the El Paso area. If there's anything I can do to help or if we can match schedules for a meet and greet, I'll do everything I can. :up:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Definitely, Jay- - - - -I love meeting forum folks! PM sent!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Now Jerry, just WHAT do you need with another vehicle? :tooth:

    The old Dodge is showing its age- - - -I'm planning to do an extended rehab session on it, maybe even an engine rebuild. Besides, cars are like guns- - - -it's impossible to have too many!
    :tooth::tooth::tooth:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    The Steppenwolf in my head sounds much better envisioning you on the bike Jerry.......:tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    That I-10 stretch from El Paso to Midland is one of the most boring of any drives, you do get to see some of the gorgeous desert monument stones but even they get old after a while. You gotta keep busy to avoid highway hypnosis.

    If you're coming through the Houston area on the way back, we might grab lunch. That's dependent totally on your schedule of course. Keep in touch.

    Riding the Gold Wing sounds like a treat, but this time of year, you could be pushing your luck. Snow and very dangerous riding conditions could be scattered anywhere along the route. Catch a very boring SouthWest hop and save on the ol' posterior till the weather gets better.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Mike, the last time I was down that way was in December 1969. I was headed for California to leave for an overseas assignment with the Air Force. The Texas Rangers pulled me over at gunpoint about midnight one night- - - - -the car I was driving matched the description of one that had been involved in an armed robbery and a shooting a few miles away, right down to a burned-out tail light. Those guys don't mess around. I was facing a .357 and a riot gun, up close and personal!
    Jerry


    Your kidding!!! Man I hope nothing happens at all this time and that you just have a good relaxed time. By the way 1969??? I was out of high school for a year and on my way to AIT WOW!!! Man We are getting up there Jerry :)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Jay, your mailbox is full!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Darn!

    Fixed.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Some of you who have attended the SE Shoot have met my nephew, David. He's been in El Paso Texas for about a year while his fiance' completes her degree. He's moving to extreme northwest Washington State, where he's planning to attend graduate school, and I think there's a wedding in their plans pretty soon. I just bought the pickup truck he's been driving, an 85 Chevy 1/2 ton. He's moved up to a later-model 4WD for the cross-country drive, and I'm headed to El Paso to drive the older truck back home.

    100_36881.JPG

    Until the weather turned nasty, I was planning to ride the Gold Wing, and haul it back with the pickup, but unless things get a bunch better, I just might fly one way! Fighting snow, sleet, and gusty crosswinds on a bike just isn't my idea of fun! It's only 1300 miles, one way!
    Jerry

    Strange! A guy that looked very much like that guy just left a truck in my yard....
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    ...........I like to visit the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. The B-52D that's on display there is one I worked on in Okinawa in the early 1970's.
    Jerry
    While I was stationed at Ft. Knox KY in 1970-71, I flew military standby out of there a few times, and one time I went to the museum...pretty cool display of old and newer aircraft. I enjoyed that a lot.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It looks like it's I-30 Texarcana to Dallas, I-20 to almost El paso, and a short stretch of I-10. That's somewhat north of Austin. That itenerary is subject to change if I fly into El P. and just drive one way. It looks like the most likely schedule is around mid-January, with some routine medical stuff scheduled shortly after new year before I hit the road.
    Jerry

    If you're gonna hit I 30 you'll pick it up just a few miles from where I live. Coffee's on me your schedule permitting.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Thanks! Coffee and good friends I haven't met yet are always a good thing! Plans are changing- - - -sleet here in Tennessee and the prospect of more bad weather in a week or so is making a bike trip less likely by the day. I'll probably fly to El P. and take the southern route home- - - - -San Antonio, Houston, Baton Rouge, then north to Memphis. The road mileage is about the same going either way. SS3 and Sam might have to tolerate my ugliness along the way! I'll probably make it to your neighborhood on the bike sometime in the spring, so I might need to take a raincheck on that coffee.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Better late than never Teach. We still have lots of snow on the ground and it's very cold. But the Welcome mat is always out.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach, giving you a call just so you've got my cell number. Just give me a heads up if you can stop for lunch or whatever, and if not, we'll wish you a smooth drive back.

    Sam in Houston

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.