It"s killpilla, your favorite poster!

killpillakillpilla MemberPosts: 50 Member
So yeah, I'm kindda new to guns! I've fired them a few time over the years. First was a .22 revolver when I was 12. Next was my first gun, a Marlin 30-30 (choose that cause my grandfather liked John Wayne) but was not really into hunting or shooting yet so my parents sold it. Next was a Glock 17 about 2 or 3 years ago. Next was a Ruger 10/22 and last but not least is the STI SPARTAN III 1911 3.5'' bullbarrel I purchased the week before christmas. It was an impulse buy and got caught up in all the stores selling out around here cause of the assault weapon ban and such going around right now! I always wanted a 1911 but I have a concealed carry permit and want something a little lighter so I'm gonna sell it and get something lighter (got a friend at work that might trade me a Glock 19).

I'm not a hunter. Wouldn't mind getting good and doing compitition. But my main reason for being a gun owner is cause I'm an American and a 2nd Amendment advocate (or Consitution advocate). And in these crazy days, I'll be damned if someone or some "elitist group" will harm me, my family or my neighbors (fellow americans).

Thank you and (insert something inspirational)

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    Now that is a much better intro.! Nice to have you on board.

Where are you in PA?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • killpillakillpilla Member Posts: 50 Member
    Yes sir, central pa!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Don't be too quick to switch out your .45 for a nine. Yes the 9mm is lighter but not by a whole lot. I suggest you spend a bit more time shooting the .45 and then make your decision. Either way, good luck, dude. Keep us posted.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    Welcome again and a pat on the back for starting over and doing it right. It says a lot about a persons character.

Regarding the hunting ........... If you dont mind me asking, is it through choice or simply that you have never had the opportunity or been introduced to the joys of spending time in the great outdoors? Just wondering.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Alright new fish.....now lets' talk about Turkish prisons and gladiator movies...:tooth:

I wouldn't be so quick on ditching that STI.....a short barrel 1911 carry's quite comfortably given the right holster...hold onto it.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,577 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, and as others have said , dont be so quick to dump the STI.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Welcome, try to keep the 1911 and also buy the Glock 19 from your friend at work. Maybe you can pay him in installments as you get a few paychecks on your side?

This is not the time to get rid of guns, any guns.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    Glad to see you hangin' in there and telling us a bit about you. Good for you, bud. Welcome. :cool2:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,426 Senior Member
    Glad to see there is another proud STI owner around here ;)
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    As others have said, DON'T SELL OR TRADE THAT 1911!!!!!!
    I have a question about that 1911. The only reason I'm considering trading it is cause I dont make much money so it will be some time before I can afford another gun and I'm concerned with reliability. If **** hits the fan. Likely I wont be going home everyday (cause the "bad guys" will know where I am) so if my family and I are hoofing it to a "safe location" of freedom fighters or a grouping of the last of humanity, I want something that will work NO MATTER WHAT! So if you all have any info to share other than 'dont sell that 1911 STI' please feel free to inlighten me, thank you all so much for the responses and support!
    Alright new fish.....now lets' talk about Turkish prisons and gladiator movies...:tooth:

I wouldn't be so quick on ditching that STI.....a short barrel 1911 carry's quite comfortably given the right holster...hold onto it.

Does it matter I'm about 6', 165 lbs. as far as the weight of the compact 1911 goes for concealed carry?
    orchidman wrote: »
    Welcome again and a pat on the back for starting over and doing it right. It says a lot about a persons character.

Regarding the hunting ........... If you dont mind me asking, is it through choice or simply that you have never had the opportunity or been introduced to the joys of spending time in the great outdoors? Just wondering.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

I do not mind at all. Actually, my parents tried themselves (as well as taking me when I was 13) but my mother and I just didnt catch "the fever". I always think it would be cool, but I feel bad for bambi and think I would puke gutting something. I also dont really care for the gamy taste. I like turkey though and always thought the idea of archery hunting for bear sounded cool, or real manly like something our ancestors might have done. Like an indian warrior:tooth:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Lots of folks carry full sized 1911 all the time, a good holster and a GOOD belt is the answer to that, of course your dress code matters, hard to do so if it is shorts and t-shirts, Lots of skinny folks have no issues handling a 45 and if so, start to do push ups and lots of practice with the gun, any gun, there is more to it than handling the TV remote control!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    killpilla wrote: »
    .............and I just didnt catch "the fever"................

Bit like me with target shooting......Havent yet found a recipe that uses little bitty pieces of paper with small groups on it as its main ingredient that I want to cook and eat...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,426 Senior Member
    My current carry gun is a fullsized S&W M&P, and before that it was a fullsized 1911. With the right belt, IWB holster, and a loosely fitting button up shirt you will have no issue concealing. I am the same weight as you and a bit shorter.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    I want something that will work NO MATTER WHAT!

The 1911 platform has been doing exactly that for 100 years...and you have one of the better 1911s. Get some good magazines and practice with it until handling it becomes second nature.
    Something else to think about....try not to get into the habit of getting rid of one gun in order to get another...the only thing more important than "having a gun" is having multiple guns...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,708 Senior Member
    Welcome killpilla,
    Lots of good info,here read more and post less at first.
    You will get to know the folks better,some you will like.....some not so much........just like life off the net.
    But if guns intrest you,you will not find a better place to learn than right here.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Welcome killpilla,
    Lots of good info,here read more and post less at first.
    You will get to know the folks better,some you will like.....some not so much........
    ...Like that "gator" guy.

(pssssst.... he smells like cheese!)
    Ya lost me on that one??
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    I was just whispering to the new guy about that body odor problem. That's OK. I still like you. :jester:
    Dang these computers are getting fancy internet smells now......what will they think of next?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Welcome Aboard. I'll make no comments about handguns since this isn't my area of knowledge to any degree. There are highly qualified personnel here on the Forum relative to handguns and CCW, so listen to what they tell you. But now on hunting....

If you do get into the sport, and hopefully you will, please don't go messing around with a black bear using arrows until you're an expert with the weapon. A black bear will kill you in a heartbeat if you provoke it by wounding it with an arrow OR a firearm if you aren't careful.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    Welcome.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Does it matter I'm about 6', 165 lbs. as far as the weight of the compact 1911 goes for concealed carry?

Not really.....I'm 5 10 (just short of 5 11.....then I would be Tactically Invisible!) and around 170 lbs....I believe Breamfisher is the same, and he carries a full size 1911.....I carry one as well.....my only wish is for a bob-tail to reduce the print. But with my Sig and Glock I don't have that problem......just gotta quit being a nice guy and picking up stuff people drop.......lol!

A Crossbreed holster does wonders to distribute the weight.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,013 Senior Member
    Nice intro :beer:

Gotta go w/ 5280 on this one

A Crossbreed holster does wonders to distribute the weight.

Since you said $$ is an issue, if you have the smallest modicum of "handiness" with a screwdriver, you can "assemble" your own "crossbreed" type holster from a pre-molded, pre-drilled kit from these folks http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/gun-holster-stage-3-forward-cant/ and save yourself about 50% off the price of a Crossbreed holster.

I haven't dealt with them or their holsters, a friend "built" the "crossbreed type" holster I use to carry my full sized 1911
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wow, thank you guys. I've got allot of good responses and something to think about with that 1911. I really appreciate the input. (and yeah, I was wondering what that smell was. Couldn't put my finger on it).
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    As others have already said, get a good holster and a good sturdy belt. I had a good holster and a mediocre belt, and found CC to be a bit of a chore. My father gave me one of his belts, and what a difference it made. You have a really good gun, so just practice and it will serve you fine.