My kind thoughts go to all hit by the storms

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Some serious snowstorms are hitting across the US, and my best thoughts go out to all who are getting crunched.

Down here in Houston we got our usual weather forecaster gloom and doom because we were due a bit of rain and temps that would plummet into, gasp!, the 40s! You'd think it was the apocalypse. Later, we're due temps that approach freezing and the weatherpeople are freaking out. It's ridiculous, and would be just funny if not for the actual bad weather affecting others across the US.

So take care, folks, drive carefully and hunker down as needed.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    We had a couple of tornadoes touch down, fortunately, no dwellings were hit.

Had thunder which is supposed to mean it will snow within 10 days. Now that is
    a big issue in these parts.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Kinda makes me reflect on the bit of snow we had a few days before Christmas......I remember telling a few folks to look out....it's coming your way!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,493 Senior Member
    What bad weather? Its just a little snow.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,684 Senior Member
    And tornadoes in the south.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,665 Senior Member
    We got a bit of snow yesterday morning but it turned to rain by about 10am and all melted within a few hours. My family and friends in Ohio got hit with a bunch of snow. Nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year though.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    What bad weather? Its just a little snow.

A little snow is no biggie. I'm sympathetic to those who get in those ice storms that take down trees and power lines, wreak havoc.

I grew up in Kansas City, went to college at Univ of KS, Lawrence, so I've seen some really nasty cold (not compared with up north of course, but nasty). I un-fondly remember walking to class when the air temp was -6F or -8F, plus a stiff wind, and snow falling atop the 2 feet already there. And that part of the country has those ice storms that form thick coats on the trees and power lines, taking them down. I grew to hate snow. I still hate snow.

Y'all, keep safe and warm, okay?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    You're not the only one with bad memories of eastern KS weather......that damned wind! It was the only place on this planet that I've actually seen ice stalagtites grow SIDEWAYS on chainlink fences at Ft. Riley in Manhattan.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    Had a fun drive to work thursday afternoon. Roads weren't that bad, but the drivers were. Saw at least 8 cars off the road...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    Send some my way please!!!

Could have done with some snow today. Spayed the plants this morning, temp in the spray suit got up to about 45 degrees celsius even though it was overcast with light rain. 3 hrs in the suit was enough. Shorts and T shirt were wringing wet. If there had been any snow around I would have gladly thrown myself into it to cool down.
    What made it worse was that the fan in the helmet decided to run at half speed despite the battery being fully charged...........the condensation from my breath meant visibility on the face plate was almost zero.

However, it did teach me patience..........The perspiration running down my face made it itch and cos it takes about 4 mins to decontaminate then get the helmet off to scratch I just kept spraying and tried to ignore it.

Did I mention I hate spraying in summer??
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,616 Senior Member
    The weather got no more than 'interesting' at my house, delivering the first "white Christmas' I have ever experienced. The temperature was in the high 30's when the snow started, so most of it didn't stick, but the grandkids got to see heavy snowfall for about an hour - thick huge flakes that mostly melted, but we still got enough to cover the ground and hang on for a couple days. The thing that made it interesting was that we were having our typical thunderstorms with heavy rain, and it transitioned into a snow storm. Folks thirty miles north of us got significant accumulation and somewhat icy roads.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well we got slammed. About 8" of snow over maybe a 1/2 inch of ice. Power went out Christmas night and just came back on late last night.Trees and limbs down everywhere, taking power lines with them.
    Fortunately I'm a redneck and country as a turnip green so we managed just fine. Still it was nice when the lights came back on.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Power outages from storms are the most annoying, and sometimes of course hazardous (old folks in the heat or cold). And they can occur in the country, towns, or right smack in the middle of a big city. It's the one universal problem that storms can bring us, summer or winter, regardless of where we live.

• skwirrelskwirrel Member Posts: 175 Member
    the up side is that bad storms bring out the best is some people.
    Live long and prosper.