Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger rotary magazine, I am still learning new things.

skwirrelskwirrel MemberPosts: 181 Member
The advice has always been to never disassemble a Ruger rotary magazine. But I wanted to modify it so my reloads would fit. So I took an allen wrench, a deep breath, and took it apart.

What was all the fuss about?

I milled out some plastic at the bullet end of the shell, used a round file on the bullet end of the throat, sanded the inside of the cap, and put a washer between the screw and cap nut.

Put it back together and it works fine; accepts longer cartridges too.
Live long and prosper.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,588 Senior Member
    What caliber?? Obviously not a .22!!
  • skwirrelskwirrel Member Posts: 181 Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    What caliber?? Obviously not a .22!!

Sorry, its the .22 hornet.
    Live long and prosper.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,588 Senior Member
    Bill Ruger loved the rotary magazine. One of his early gumsmith projects, about 1940, was to convert a Savage 99 to semi-auto.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    skwirrel wrote: »
    The advice has always been to never disassemble a Ruger rotary magazine. But I wanted to modify it so my reloads would fit. So I took an allen wrench, a deep breath, and took it apart.

What was all the fuss about?

I milled out some plastic at the bullet end of the shell, used a round file on the bullet end of the throat, sanded the inside of the cap, and put a washer between the screw and cap nut.

Put it back together and it works fine; accepts longer cartridges too.

FWIW The new Ruger BX-25 magazines indicate that they are built to be taken apart and cleaned by the user. The package recommended disassembly and cleaning.

In reality, I've taken my 10 rounders apart for cleaning many, many times. I'm glad to see that you got your Hornet mags to work with longer BT type bullets! As I said in the other post, I tried loading some for my neighbor's Hornet with 40 gr. Nosler BT's and they wouldn't fit in his mag. I had to go with the old semi-spitzer 45 gr. projectiles intended for the Hornet & Bee.

eta also, see this link http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/04/08/cleaning-and-disassembly-of-ruger-1022-magazine/
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!