Home Main Category General Firearms

Springfield XD 9mm vs Ruger LCR .357

fufufufu MemberPosts: 36 Member
Hi, I'm new and looking to purchase a new firearm. I'm not a total novice, but I'm not well versed on firearms. I grew up around gunowners, but rarely shot. By the time I was 18, I'd shot only a handful of times. I joined the military and shot only to qualify every 12-24 months until about 3 years ago. Then, my granddad gave me a .22 long rifle, .22 Ruger Single Six and Marlin 30-30. I've been to the range a few times and recently decided I enjoyed it quite a bit. So, I purchased a year membership and intended on shooting at least weekly.

I'm going to start carrying, so I want something compact but not tiny(like a Taurus .380).

I know, apples to oranges when talking about the two guns in the title. However, I can rent at my range and I've tried a Sig .380, S&W 357. I hated the .380, but enjoyed the 357(hammerless model). I like the fact I could shoot 38 or 357 and I was fairly accurate(much more so than with the 380). It seems I prefer a heavier weapon. I'd like to try the SF XD 9mm, but if I can't, who can give me some advice on what I should be looking for?

I'd like to keep the total cost around $500. I can shop on base, so the SF is $464 and Ruger is 507.

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    There's a lot to be said for the simplicity, reliability and versatility of the revolver. I'd never pooh-pooh that as a decision. I've owned the XD-9 and it's a great gun, though harder to conceal. I'd avoid a micro-semiauto until you've developed more as a shooter. They can tend to be finicky in the hands of those who haven't experienced their idiosyncrasies.

Welcome and happy New Year.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,056 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    I would go with a 38 or 357 S&W revolver if I were you. These are very simple guns to use and work good as carry guns, try a model 637 or 642 if my memory is right. Down the line if you want you can add a semi-auto carry pistol. Good Luck on your choice.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Personally I think a Glock 19 is about the best all around carry gun available. Between the two choices though, the XD wins hands down.

Easier to shoot well, easier to reload under stress, more than 3x the capacity, much lighter recoil, cheaper ammunition (which means more practice). As far as "revolver reliability" goes, that's really a non-issue. High quality, modern semi-autos (the XD is one of these) are just as reliable as revolvers, and in the event of an actual JAM, they are about a million times easier to get back in the fight.

Stick it in a leather/kydex hybrid holster, like a Crossbreed, or Comp-Tac, and it will disappear under most loose, untucked shirts.
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    I'm hoping to rent the XD. I went to a local gun shop today to get see the XD in person. I liked it and it seems like a good fit for what I want. If I shoot it well, I'll probably put it at the top of the list. I like that it comes with the accessories and the increased mag capacity.

Thanks guys.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    This is tough because I am not a fan of either gun. So, find the one you like better an roll with it. Enjoy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,056 Senior Member
    Before you get a 9 sillymeter, get a .327, more ft-lbs.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I'm a fan of most .357 revolvers and XD's. All of my XD's (three of them, past and present) are .45's, and I've let several inexperienced shooters operate them, once I felt like they had decent fundamentals. In every case, they shot them well and liked them, a lot, so I would lean toward the XD-9, compared with the LCR.

The LCR in .38 Special is a 'peach' of a carry weapon, and I'm sure the .357 is fine, too, although I'm sure it has significant recoil, with a self-defense .357 Magnum load. You can always practice with .38 Specials, as long as you clean the chambers well and knock out the carbon and lead that builds up at the end of a fired case - else the longer .357 cases will not fit in the chamber all the way, and eventually may cause cylinder rotation to be impeded. I have had this happen, after shooting a bunch of lead .38 Specials, and then switching to .357. It isn't a problem, with normal cleaning after each session.

As far as an inexperienced handgun shooter's ability to shoot accurately, I'd bet that you'll do better with the XD-9, and you can shoot a lot of rounds through it without feeling fatigued.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    As few have said you cannot go wrong with the revolver. Prior to the semi auto craze almost every body carried a wheel gun me, as an example and still do at times. For a inexperienced shooter it's the best choice the .357 is a great choice for the 2 loadings practice with the 38 carry the 357, many do. And remember and i will get grief over this don't be to worried about caliber size as many old timers think; just recently an officer had to be assisted by an armed civilian while in a struggle with a perp that was overpowering him, the good Samaritan carried a full size 1911 in of course .45acp it took 5 shoots to stop the perp what finally did it was a well placed shot to the head. So go with what you like and feel comfortable with and practice practice practice, and as how things are today in the political arena still consider a high cap 9. My 2 cnts. good luck on your choice stay safe stay alert and welcome.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Aloha and welcome from another Pacific Northwest denizen. I've never shot an XD but the LCR is a sweet carry gun. I paid $470 for it so you might want to shop around before buying.

And practice, practice, practice.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    I have the Springfield XD9 sub-compact and like it a lot as CCW. If you have large hands, you will want the 13 round extended mag so your pinky doesn't hang off. Given that, The LCR is a fine weapon, but you will need a lot of practice because of the recoil. IMO, really not much point shooting .38 in that, even in practice, because the .357 round will make the gun handle much differently so if that's the round you're going to carry, that's the one you should practice with. If you're going to carry the .38, might as well just get a .38 revolver. S&W would be my preference in .38 revolver.