Let's talk about work boots

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,420 Senior Member
What is a good pair of work boots? The two names I've heard come up are Red Wing and Timberland. What else is out there? I am a fan of Belleville myself for military boots, plus they are USA made for a way better price point than the $150-$200 MADE IN CHINA Red Wings.

I will be working in a warehouse, but around oil equipment so I don't want to wear my issued Army boots and mess those up too bad to wear in uniform.

Budget is under $200, but I'll pay for quality. I prefer the following features:

- 8" lace up
- Sole that can be replaced
- Removable insoles
- Made in USA, or if made in China then not at some obscene $150+ price. (I'm not wrapped around the axle about American made, but why the hell would I pay American made prices for made in China?)
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    My pops was a roughneck on an oil rig and swore by redwings, but that was thirty years ago.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    What is your foot size...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    What is your foot size...

Varies wildly from brand to brand, but 8.5R in military boots (both Gore-tex and desert) is a pretty safe bet. 9.5 in running shoes, and I have no clue where work boots will fall under.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    For all-around ruggedness, it's hard to beat a pair of Corcoran jump boots- - - - -you don't really have to put a mirror spit shine on the cap toe. The steel toe is just common sense around any kind of industrial environment. I've got a pair left over from my ROTC coach days that I'm about to get modified for zippers to use on the PGR rides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Corcoran-Black-10-Zipper-Cap-Toe-Jump-Boot-995-Medium-/170904748384?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item27cab78160

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    For all-around ruggedness, it's hard to beat a pair of Corcoran jump boots- - - - -you don't really have to put a mirror spit shine on the cap toe. The steel toe is just common sense around any kind of industrial environment. I've got a pair left over from my ROTC coach days that I'm about to get modified for zippers to use on the PGR rides.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Corcoran-Black-10-Zipper-Cap-Toe-Jump-Boot-995-Medium-/170904748384?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item27cab78160

Jerry

My Chocoran boots have lasted 3 years at the FD. I've never had a pair last over a year, ever. But for work boots, I wear a pair of Cabella's that have served me well. Best advice, find a place that let's you try them on and go from there. I can tell you a lot about a boot after examining it and trying it on. And buy American!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Get Red Wings. Just make sure that the ones you get are made in the USA (most of them still are)...
    http://www.redwingshoes.com/footwear/filter-8-inch%20Boot
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,526 Senior Member
    - Made in USA, or if made in China then not at some obscene $150+ price. (I'm not wrapped around the axle about American made, but why the hell would I pay American made prices for made in China?)[/QUOTE]

Rockies before they were made in China, now there crap. Redwings, Chipawa, are made here, good boots. Most of Cabelas are made in china. The price for china boots is high because people keep buying them, if people stoped buying Cabelas ( or any ) china boots it wouldnt take long before the cost came down.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Any chance your feet will grow three sizes in the next week or two...I have a half duffle bag full of boots from one RFI issue after another. But, they are all 11.5ish depending on the issue...

So anyone Else need a pair? I have a three quarter cut steel toe that I have been caring with me for 13 years that I have never worn. Got two pair and the first pair lasted for ever...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'm a huge fan of Timberland. Bought a pair when I was about your age, wore them into the ground, and asked the company if they could be resoled.

They sent me a new pair, gratis, with a note of apology. Bought a second pair, had a minor manufacturing defect. Called them, they overnighted me a new pair, gratis.

So yeah, Timberland.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    its been a long time since i was selling/fitting shoes, but my cuz carried:

> Whites
    > Carolinas

There may have been more, but we sold alot of those to loggers, Oregon Steel employees and just workers in general.

iirc, Carolina had their USA and offshore shoes. dont know what the prices are of them now either.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Caterpillar steel toe boots.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I've done Danner, Matterhorn, Corcoran, Rocky, Hi-tech, Caterpillar.....most recent have been Timberland Pros, they are the best so far. I only ask a few things of my boots......they support my ankles, they be waterproof, they be breathable....they can have the sole replaceable. The Timberland Pros have a Kevlar toe sheath...steel toe sucks in the cold, an have seen toe amputations because of them.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    Georgia Comfort Core.... Not the best outdoor boot.Best for being on concrete all day
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Georgia's are nice too!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/1681-red-wing-shoes/1681-red-wing-womens-8-inch-boot-brown

i have been wearing a pair like this almost two years of 50 hour weeks. My next pair will be the same boots and mine only cost me like $13. I have a very healthy boot allowance through work every year.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • golfnerdgolfnerd New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Flat out the BEST American made workboot out there....

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.
    14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I work outside, year round. Mud, water, wet concrete, mortar, oil, grease, diesel fuel, and kicking gravel in ditches, are some of the things my boots are in, daily. I'm lucky if they last me a season (winter/summer) I've tried just about every boot known to man. Redwing, Irish Setter, Wolverine, Danner, Rocky (they used to be good when they were made here), Carhartt, Caterpillar, the list goes on.

I've been wearing Cabela's SAW workboots for the last 4 years. I know they're made in China, but they're dang good boots. And Cabela's stands behind them if they leak prematurely.
    I'm trying out a pair of Irish Setter slip ons right now, and I'm really liking them, too.
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    FiveSeven wrote: »
    My pops was a roughneck on an oil rig and swore by redwings, but that was thirty years ago.

Roughnecking is probably the job thats the toughest on boots. I worked around roughnecks for a long time and my late husband was one. Redwings are a good tough boot. I remember one time he picked up a pair of Tonylama slip on work boots. The guy at the boot store said they were the toughest ones he had. By day three he said they were leaking water, and by day four the toes were ate out of them. So he picked up a set of redwing slip ons and they lasted six months even though they were just water treated leather and not water proof he said they didn't leak for five of those six months. So I put a lil camp seal on them for him and they continued to hold the water out until the toes were gone. l_02231.jpeg Though they aren't insulated so a pair of heavy socks was needed during the winter.

Then he upgraded to the Worx and they lasted a full year. I picked up my own set and wore them when I was rig welding, and they held up really well. But leather worked better cause of the sparks. I still have my Worx and love em to death. Even though they are steel, they are insulated well enough that I can wear them hunting.
    WORX_W6499_15.jpg
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    I'm a big fan of the company Ariat.

http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/#cp=1~facet_type=lace%20up

Seems they have quite a few options and can be found at most "western" wear stores like Big R, Atwoods, Cavenders, etc.
    Ive never really been a fan of lace ups. Sure they are supposed to give ya more ankle support. But Ive never found a need. Plus when you're walking around in mud its nice to be able to tuck your pant leg into your boot.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Yeah try walking in the mud around here. You won't have slip ons very long. :jester:
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    fufu wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the company Ariat.

http://www.ariat.com/Work/Men/#cp=1~facet_type=lace%20up

Seems they have quite a few options and can be found at most "western" wear stores like Big R, Atwoods, Cavenders, etc.

Wife used to wear Ariats to ride and show in, but they'd only last one season at best. She switched to Justin a few years ago and never looked back.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    I wasn't talking about that kind of mud.

But it does get pretty soupy up here and Ive never lost a boot to mud.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    I work in the East Texas Oilfield, where Red Wings are still the overwhelming favorite. I used to wear Wolverines, when I worked in the field (land surveying) all day, everyday, because they were more comfortable in a non-steel toed walking boot. But the company started paying for one pair of steel toes a year, so I switched to Red Wing.

Edited to add: If you can find the Red Wing brand silicone waterproofing, it will probably double their life, in the oil field, and keep your feet dry.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,549 Senior Member
    If we're going to toss Wellington style boots into the mix, my vote goes to Georgia Boot. A bit less pricey (though they've gone up dramatically since I bought my last pair) than Red Wings (which I wore for twenty years) at about half the weight. The pair I'm about to replace has lasted me through 12 years of pretty tough use.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • fufufufu Member Posts: 36 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Wife used to wear Ariats to ride and show in, but they'd only last one season at best. She switched to Justin a few years ago and never looked back.

I've had a pair for 4/5 years now and still going strong. I wear my just to wear, not to ride or work. I find boots to be very comfortable for daily wear.
  • wookiewookie Member Posts: 128 Member
    For riding I wear Bolets. for welding I wore a danner made for forest firefighters I don't think they make them any more. I wish they did they are comfortable and very light. I live 45 min from a danner outlet store too. that helps
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Another vote for Georgia Boots. I was EXTREMELY hard on my boots, and they held up great.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    bml wrote: »
    Another vote for Georgia Boots. I was EXTREMELY hard on my boots, and they held up great.

And they are < $130....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    I have plantar facia in both feet, so I can't mess around with footwear.

I have custom made orthotics that I wear in my shoes. Last summer I needed a new pair of boots for my summer farm job and chose Red Wings. I didn't have to wear my orthotics in these boots. That's the kind of support they provide. Not sure how they'd be on concrete for sure, but on mixed surfaces they proved excellent.

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain