Home Main Category Personal Defense

A Citizen Doing His Civic Duty - 4 Gunfights, 5 Dead Gang Bangers

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Met the guy in the late 80's when I drove a cab for a company based in Santa Monica where he had his store, he mentioned that at that time there where only 2 citizens in the county of Santa Monica that had a CCW, he was one of them, this due to what happened to him, in his store from day one he kept guns hidden behind the counter all over the place, talk about a "prepared" guy.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Kudos to him for not letting these 's take his property or his life. What a shame that he felt that he had to curtail the business that he had obviously worked so hard to make successful.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That ol' boy is real old school. What really strikes me though is the first BG only got 5 years. He'll be out in 2. Get a gun a week later and start the cycle all over again. Except now he's learned, pick a softer target.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    WOW, what a story, a no BS kinda guy
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Well, at least after wounding the first one, his aim improved. No parole from the graveyard!
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Funny how anyone could have any sympathy at all for a gang member, dead or otherwise, I say good riddance to any and all rubbish of that sort.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    Massad Ayoob wrote a detailed article about Lance and how he approached PD. It was good stuff, but I haven't been able to find it on the inter web lately.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    Google Ayoob files Lance, lots of stuff,

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=101715
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    That was a good read. Certainly casts doubts on the notion of one shot stops. Sure they happen, but I suspect real shootouts more often go like that experienced by Mr Thomas. This is why I fume at restricting mag capacity to 10 rounds. How many rounds do you need to carry? As many as it takes.
  • skwirrelskwirrel Member Posts: 181 Member
    The reporters are tools.
    Live long and prosper.
  • I'm goneI'm gone New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Wow, at least my worst day at work never came close to anything like Lance went through!
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Lance Thomas was (and is) a hero to gun owners in California and everywhere. I remember his story well. Ayoob wrote about him in Guns Magazine when I was the editor. He could identify with Thomas since Ayoob's father had a jewelry store in New Hampshire that was robbed when Ayoob was a young man, which likely helped push him into a law enforcement/gun writer career.
    It's still virtually impossible for a citizen to get a carry permit in the Los Angeles area. When I worked at the Guns & Ammo office in L.A. none of us editors could get a permit, even though we often transported guns to and from our FFL dealer to the office or shooting range. Since the Supreme Court's ruling in the Heller case, California's "may issue" laws are being challenged in court.
    I had no problem getting a CCW in San Diego when I worked at Guns. It's a much more conservative city than L.A.
    "I had no problem getting a CCW in San Diego when I worked at Guns. It's a much more conservative city than L.A."

Is it valid in L.A. ???
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Yes, a California carry permit is valid anywhere in the state. They are issued only for one year. When I moved from San Diego to L.A., several months later when my permit expired, it was not renewed based on the local police policy.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    And that's the problem with "may issue" permits... what's allowable in one area isn't in another. With "shall issue" if you're qualified you get it regardless of PD/Sheriff's policy.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    conchokid wrote: »
    when my permit expired, it was not renewed based on the local police policy.

I left Commiefornia in 1980. Aren't you glad you live in America now?
    Jerry
    So hypothetically speaking, if you absolutely had to live in CommielandofCalifornication, it would be better to have one's legal residence in San Diego and maintain CCW there and merely do Business in L.A. County.

Funny thing is, as Anti-gun as New Pork City was / is, I was never once asked why I was carrying.