Who likes Robert E Howard's Conan books?

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Mrs Chief bought me the complete works in one book/volume. I read them all in my younger days. Howard was an interesting individual, but cut his life short in his 30s in the 1930s near Brownwood TX.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,073 Senior Member
    I think I read my first Conan book under a pool table while on Gunfighter Alert at Da Nang. It was the safest place to be in case of a rocket attack!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,177 Senior Member
    I came up reading Howard's stuff... my favorite of the Conan sagas being "The Frost Giants Daughter"....what an epic!. Howard was a troubled soul, who, it is surmised, killed himself in a fit of grief over the death of his mother. L. Sprague de Camp took up Conan after Howard's death, but he could never really match Howard's style
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I also liked the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser adventures by Fritz Leiber.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I liked them as a young kid, same as when I was devouring Tarzan and John Carter books. All the old pulps were great reading. Nowdays they're a bit too, er, juvenile.

And yes, Howard shot himself while sitting in his car one lonely night.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I enjoyed the Conan series as well as the Fafhrd and Mouser. Also, Rger Zelazny's Amber series, Karl Edward Wagner's Kane and Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Thanks for reminding me of Fritz Leiber's Grey Mouser series. I enjoyed those -- more adult oriented than Conan

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Lately, I enjoy the adult-level fantasy/action books, particularly of late, the "Repairman Jack" novels of F. Paul Wilson. They're written for the adult, not teen or young reader, but still contain fantasy (some of it quite violent and of sexual nature, not for weak of heart).

Anybody read Repairman Jack novels? I'm not generally a fan of fantasy, preferring totally realistic crime/action, but if some fantasy (demonology, alien baddies) gets slipped into the mix, I prefer when it's not juvenile, but remains adult.