Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Does the NRA publish financial information?

2»

Replies

• SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    2. Judging the CCW courses teachers might take by one's own CCW courses is not the best logic, as they vary from state to state and teacher to teacher.
    something to consider.

Well, Beam is right. Again. There have been a lot of really good points brought up in this thread (*glares at Wambli and Nomad*). The NRA and I obviously don't agree on the solution to this. My opinion is anecdotal, but giving my mother-in-law the same class I had and a gun is not going to make ANYONE any safer. We COULD make a nationalized CCW program to make sure it's adequate... I'll ask Obama to look into that :-\ (or not...)
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    In regards to armed teachers-- I teach 7th grade. I've been arounds guns most of my 49 yrs. Here in Mississippi I can get a concealed carry permit by application--no training required. An "Enhanced Carry" permit requires range training. Since the CT shooting I have been thinking about whether or not I would carry in the classroom if allowed. I would not want to carry unless I had very specific training. Yes, I can go out and shoot on my own land, but to me, that's just not the same. I don't know how I could carry a pistol without the kids knowing. Also one of my sons brought up a possible "what if" situation: A high school teacher is breaking up a fight and one of the students gets the gun. I'm not really worried about elementary age kids doing that, But it is something that has be considered for older kids. I suspect most teachers would not be willing to carry. It's certainly a decision that would require a tremendous amount of thought AND prayer.

I do know/hope that I would die before I allowed someone to hurt a single child at my school(no matter how much I may complain about the knotheads!).
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I can't figger out if you've got a vision stuck in yer head, like a bad '80's hair band song or yer being purposely obtuse, but...

...no one is telling anyone, especially teachers they have to be armed...

...given the number of gun owners in the US, even in a small population, say teachers, the odds that someone has the necessary mindset to be one of Orwell's "rough men (& women)" willing to take on the responsibility of protecting the children & to put themselves in the line of fire is probably pretty good, they should be given the necessary training & support...

..."Gun Free Zones" don't work...

...in almost everyone of these shootings, as soon as the "perp" met resistance they have killed themselves or surrendered...

...where "armed resistance" was immediate (armed citizen, armed guard, off-duty police) the casualty rate avg. was 2.5, in cases w/ no "armed resistance" the rate was 12...

...this isn't about arming teachers, it's about allowing teachers who can accept the facts & are willing to assume the responsibility, to be armed & trained to be the first line of defense...

...firearms are used for defense 2.5M times a year, less than 0.1% of those actually result in "shots fired", you replace the "fish in a barrel" "Gun Free Zone" w/ the likelyhood a shooter would never make it to the first classroom, & all of a sudden schools are not near as an attractive target to a maniac...
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    wildgene wrote:

...firearms are used for defense 2.5M times a year, less than 0.1% of those actually result in "shots fired", you replace the "fish in a barrel" "Gun Free Zone" w/ the likelyhood a shooter would never make it to the first classroom, & all of a sudden schools are not near as an attractive target to a maniac...

They will move on to churches and malls...
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I suspect most teachers would not be willing to carry. It's certainly a decision that would require a tremendous amount of thought AND prayer.

After spending 30+ years in the public education system, vo-tech and high school, I suspect that a lot more teachers than you think would be willing to arm themselves. There are plenty of ways to carry a weapon in deep cover, or make it difficult, if not impossible for a student to get hold of it. I've participated in a couple of really serious fight interventions, including a 200+ student mob scene, and helped disarm one kid who was carrying a handgun. During one especially tense time shortly after the Columbine shootings, I carried a compact .45 auto in one boot, and a spare magazine in the other. There had been some pretty credible threats of coordinated attacks at schools nationwide on a specific day, and I was going to be prepared to defend my students- - - -rules be damned! As it happened, one of my students started making threats, and had to be arrested by the school resource officers.

I'm all for giving teachers as much training as necessary to prepare them for a role as "designated defender", or simply to be confident with taking whatever defensive measures are appropriate in an emergency.
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    A friend and co-worker's wife teaches kindergarten. Given the option, she would gladly take some protection for her students. I have to wonder how a person who would argue against having protection in place is wired. How do you argue against being able to protect children?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    drwalker47 wrote: »
    They will move on to churches and malls...

...look what's been happening @ churches, malls, & theaters, armed resistance has been stopping attacks as soon as they're started, a few armed men & women have been able to stop them cold, but that doesn't get any "media time"...