Fox in the hen house!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,768 Senior Member
Go in Tuesday for an interview at Gander Mountain :silly:

My hours have been pretty much slashed and things are beyond tight, been looking around for a 2nd job to get me through until cleaning season picks back up again. Figured with the gun buying rush they probably needed more help...whaddya know, they do! I'm going to be very strict with myself for 2 months and work as many hours as possible to get my finances back on track so I can quit eating ramen 3 nights a week, then when things are picking back up at my day job I'll stay on for the "benefits" of working there :devil:
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I'm sure that most of us have been through tight financial times before, so we're pulling for you, pal.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,444 Senior Member
    You suck! I have had to work at a restaurant while going to school for 14 months now. Only 1.5 months to go though..

I am sure you'll find the "benefits" rewarding.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Tell that you only want to be paid in AR-15s. You'll be way ahead. No, seriously - when you get back on your feet, be sure to enjoy the perks!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,290 Senior Member
    Just remember who your friends are:tooth: when the deals come along. Best of luck.

Sako
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    My second job started out as a way to help make ends meet. Those ends have long since been firmly knotted, but the work continues. It gives me some walkin' around money, but my problem is I don't have time to walk around any more....:silly: :roll2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,726 Senior Member
    Go in Tuesday for an interview at Gander Mountain :silly:

Here is a tip you may not need, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, in case your GM is anything like mine.

Don't overdo it on your gun knowledge. Play it by ear, in your interview, because retail managers don't enjoy managing 'underlings' who are smarter than them. My GM had some good counter guys when they opened up. I actually paid their high price for my first XD because of the good advice and service I received. But management apparently favored the brown-nosers, when picking department heads, and they haven't had a 'gun guy' working there, since. The store, here, genuinely does not care if you buy guns there, or not - it still baffles me how they stay in business.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,031 Senior Member
    Hope you get the job:angel2:, Just Prayed. Any chance your contacts with the homebrew and CO microbrew's folks would lead to a part time job?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,712 Senior Member
    Good luck MHS
    I stop into the Thornton GM whenever I go to see my Dad.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Good luck MHS
    I stop into the Thornton GM whenever I go to see my Dad.

Gator that would be the store I'll be at if I get hired!
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hope you get the job:angel2:, Just Prayed. Any chance your contacts with the homebrew and CO microbrew's folks would lead to a part time job?

Not really, I checked there first. Most of that stuff is 9-5 hours so I couldn't fit it in without taking days away from the carpet job. Thanks for the prayers too ;)
    Bisley,

I know a couple of the gun guys there, I like to stop in and chat with em on Sundays. I will go in there tomorrow to let them know I have an interview and get their view on the managers and how to play the interview. I think right now, they're focused on people who can grab "that AR15 on the shelf" and fill out the form correctly, then run credit cards lol. And probably say "no we don't have any .223 ammo in stock". The guy I go to gab with the most there, sometimes just hands the customers over to me when he is busy lol might as well get paid for it.
    Not really, I checked there first. Most of that stuff is 9-5 hours so I couldn't fit it in without taking days away from the carpet job. Thanks for the prayers too ;)

There goes my fantasy:cuss:, an elk guide that also sells guns and makes beer:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Good luck
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Gator that would be the store I'll be at if I get hired!

I grew up about a mile from there (Highland High School 1979)
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Good luck with the part time job.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    pee test and a background check and I'm in! Interview took a whopping 10 minutes lol. Few basic questions and that was it. I'm sure it helped having several employee recommendations :group: Pay is even higher then I was expecting, which was a nice bonus. And due to the extreme amount of business I'm free to pick any hours I want because they're slammed open to close 7 days a week. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes! Hopefully next week I'll be the guy on the side of the counter.
    Congrats
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,773 Senior Member
    Make sure to study hard for that pee test!

Congrats. If I had to chuck it all and start over- I would start working behind the counter of a gun store.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Good news! What is their policy on time off during hunting season?
    Ha that'll be an interesting one Scott! If you have a dozen guys who are probably mostly hunters, I'm sure it'll get tricky. But talking with a lot of them for a few years now, they all hunt different seasons then I do for the most part.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,290 Senior Member
    Congrats, when you find out what hours you will be working let me know. My daughter just picked up a Walther PPQ and has the itch for a purse gun now. I will send her to see you for guideance:tooth:

Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Make sure to study hard for that pee test!

Yep, practice yer aim...........:rotflmao:

Congrats on finding employment.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,787 Senior Member
    pee test and a background check and I'm in! Interview took a whopping 10 minutes lol. Few basic questions and that was it. I'm sure it helped having several employee recommendations :group: Pay is even higher then I was expecting, which was a nice bonus. And due to the extreme amount of business I'm free to pick any hours I want because they're slammed open to close 7 days a week. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes! Hopefully next week I'll be the guy on the side of the counter.

Congrats, although I'm really waiting for you to get on with Crooked Stave when they inevitably blow up!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho