Home Main Category Hunting

Went squirrel hunting with my buddy's .270 Winchester

2»

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Good thing you didn't use a .327 Magnum. If you'd have hit the squirrel and he had found out about it, it would be like the killer beast of Caerbannog!

one rabbit stew coming right up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    one rabbit stew coming right up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

I soiled me armor!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Even I have to admit it was funny, but mainly because I know the creator is not malicious about it. But I will say that once when I was a kid I shot a cotton tail with my .270 at a range of about 15 yards, just to see what it would do, and on the off chance there was anything left, to collect some good meat. Well scrap that last line. It blew the poor thing about 30 feet in the air spinning round and round. When it hit the ground all was left was the hide. Yeah, you might say it's a thoroughly adequate Squirrel round, and then some...:jester:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    One thing I will say is both the .270 Win. and the .25-06 Rem. are fast and hard hitting. My son's 25-06 kills small animals and varmints like thor's hammer. Both of these rounds work well on varmints with a flare!!! Just don't use it on them if you want to save the pelt.

back while I could still shoot does, I shot one under my feeder at about 60 yards. It hit the spine and took out about the first third of its back. In fact, when I skinned it, it broke in half. I have also seen my son's 25-06 do similar stuff. They are both fast and frangible.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Even I have to admit it was funny, but mainly because I know the creator is not malicious about it. But I will say that once when I was a kid I shot a cotton tail with my .270 at a range of about 15 yards, just to see what it would do, and on the off chance there was anything left, to collect some good meat. Well scrap that last line. It blew the poor thing about 30 feet in the air spinning round and round. When it hit the ground all was left was the hide. Yeah, you might say it's a thoroughly adequate Squirrel round, and then some...:jester:

I believe it. I've seen even smaller rounds do similar things on stuff about the size of a rabbit. Linefinder can attest that I shot a large, adult prairie dog with a 6mm Remington low in the guts, I swear to you right now, we have no idea where that thing landed. I took off like someone had launched it into space.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I believe it. I've seen even smaller rounds do similar things on stuff about the size of a rabbit. Linefinder can attest that I shot a large, adult prairie dog with a 6mm Remington low in the guts, I swear to you right now, we have no idea where that thing landed. I took off like someone had launched it into space.

Yeah and to say nothing of what a hot load in one of those fast bullet devils will do to a Pooh Bucket, LOL!!!

Seriously, any 06 cased or similar sized case or their derivatives has awesome power and when you hit something small it doesn't have enough tissue to dissapate the shock thereof. They tend to vaporize things.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,639 Senior Member
    I once shot a largeish adult pdog with my 6mm at 80 yards. At the hit, he launched straight up and continued up out of the FOV of my scope. A full 3-4 seconds later, he streaked back down to earth considerably farther away from where he'd been. Curious, I grabbed my tape measure out of my toolbox. Not only had he achieved at least twenty feet of altitude, but he landed 31 feet behind the mound he'd been sitting on.

That's nothing. My .270 knocks em into the next county.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

Pffffffft

I have posted pics on here of game that I hit so hard with my 7mm08 it knocked them into yesterday............judging by the date stamp on the pics..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,872 Senior Member
    I once shot a largeish adult pdog with my 6mm at 80 yards. At the hit, he launched straight up and continued up out of the FOV of my scope. A full 3-4 seconds later, he streaked back down to earth considerably farther away from where he'd been. Curious, I grabbed my tape measure out of my toolbox. Not only had he achieved at least twenty feet of altitude, but he landed 31 feet behind the mound he'd been sitting on.

What kind of hang time did he have?:jester:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    That is when it is more fun to be the spotter.:cool:

Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    What kind of hang time did he have?:jester:

Quite a bit, but not as much as one SixGun shot one hot pdog afternoon. His bench was probably a full fifteen yards (maybe a little farther, even) to the right of mine. We were having one heck of a dog shoot. (You've seen pics of that day....Scooter, SixGun, Rapier, and myself sitting behind a wedge of artillery.)

Anyway, I'd just settled into the scope to shoot probably my 500th one of the day when suddenly one came streaking into my scopes FOV from the right....still gaining altitude!!! It flashed through my entire FOV, right to left, and I never did see it land. SixGun had obviously smacked it with a 7-iron, and it must have covered a third of a football field (sideways) before landing.

That's one heck of a memory. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

One thing about the .270 and pdogs. I took it out once shooting some 90 grain Sierra HP's. My 6mm with 75 grain VMaxes tears them up a whole lot worse (faster, more frangible bullet), but if you want to make a pdog loose track of what zip-code he lived in....shoot him with a .270. He will be going on a long distance trip, I promise.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Yes, sir. That's exactly the dog I was referencing. To this day, I wonder how far that thing flew. The effect of a small caliber rounds, sent at high speed, on fat little targets can be impressive beyond words. Truth is, I would LOVE to see what a .270 would do to one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    A 338WM with 250 grain Partitions can make a pd fly pretty good too:rotflmao:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I hit a swamp rabbit and they weigh about five pounds at least when full grown with my 257/300Wby using a 110gr Nosler Accubond bullet at around 3925fps at 75yds. It seemed to vaporize before our eyes. My brother and I could not find anything in the area that was more than 2 square inches in size and only a few pieces of those. I am sure there were bigger pieces somewhere, but we couldn't find them. Recoil kept me from seeing the full effects, but my brother still talks about the explosion of that swamp rabbit to this day.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    I hit a swamp rabbit and they weigh about five .
    Wish we had them here, we have marsh rabbits that can be bigger than a cottontail.

People around here call marsh rabbits swamp rabbits by where they live.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Yes, sir. That's exactly the dog I was referencing. To this day, I wonder how far that thing flew. The effect of a small caliber rounds, sent at high speed, on fat little targets can be impressive beyond words. Truth is, I would LOVE to see what a .270 would do to one.

Damage-wise, Luis, it doesn't do much. I think that the bullet weight kind of plows through without it even noticing it's hit something as fragile as a pdog. My .223 Rem does comparable damage, and the 6mm does a whole lot more.

But....the one thing you do notice when you whack em with a heavy bullet.......though they usually land in one piece, they land a good piece farther away.

I took the .270 out only one time, and shot 100 rounds through it over the course of two days. Every time I pulled the trigger, I had images of rapidly retreating throat going through my mind. I couldn't make myself do it again.

Mike
    N454casull
    I know that feeling, but it hasn't stopped me yet:silly:
    Every time I pulled the trigger, I had images of rapidly retreating throat going through my mind. I couldn't make myself do it again.

Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I know that feeling, but it hasn't stopped me yet:silly:

Well, that one is my well beloved "deer rifle". With the .223's and 6mm, it doesn't really bother me, since that's what I got them for.

Well....not entirely true. The Kreiger barrel on the 6mm has turned out to be such a fine shooter that I've practically retired it from the pdog circuit. For the most part, I don't mind burning up .223 barrels.

Mike
    N454casull
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Agreed! That picture made me laugh out loud.

You would! I know all you 7-08 guys have a Napoleonic syndrome trying to overcome short cartridges,

:spittingcoffee::roll2::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: