Home Main Category Personal Defense

9mm vs. .45 suggestions please

2»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,122 Senior Member
    Funny thing is, NN carries the handgun equivalent of a .270: the .327 Magnum...
    This is my .270 handgun
  • moose13moose13 New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    Ran a box through it today.
    Badass

attachment.php?attachmentid=2860&d=1356208913
    Hope it works out well; I couldn't handle the stock trigger.
    I had to get a 3.5 lb connector and wish it was lighter.

I've only shot a Glock in .40 and 10mm; someday I'd like to shoot a 9mm.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hope it works out well; I couldn't handle the stock trigger.
    I had to get a 3.5 lb connector and wish it was lighter.

I've only shot a Glock in .40 and 10mm; someday I'd like to shoot a 9mm.

You're trigger finger is WEAK Marine! Get down and knock 'em out until the Commandant get's tired you pencil neck geek!

I've shot/got Glocks in 9mm, .40 S&W, and 10mm......had a G21 in .45....and I'm an Army combat arms puke! Drink some Pepto B and recover....then get you're a** up and recover to resume course of fire.........:tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    The 3.5 lb trigger definitely makes them a lot more enjoyable to shoot.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    You're trigger finger is WEAK Marine! Get down and knock 'em out until the Commandant get's tired you pencil neck geek!

I've shot/got Glocks in 9mm, .40 S&W, and 10mm......had a G21 in .45....and I'm an Army combat arms puke! Drink some Pepto B and recover....then get you're a** up and recover to resume course of fire.........:tooth:
    The issue is that if the trigger pull is too hard, it is too easy to pull or push the front sight out of proper alignment.
    Weak finger or not, I'm entitled Sonny
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I've got both a 9 and a 45. But neither is in a Glock, not that I don't like Glock, I just have been concentrating on rifles and haven't expanded my hand gun collection in quite a while. My 45 is a SS 1911 A-1 Springfield Armory and my 9mm is an old out of production S&W Model 469 I bought new in 1981 I think. So both my guns are a little heavier than the same Glock would be. As for which one? I like a 45 for when the chips are down. When the Defacation hits the Rotary Oscillator, the 45 is almost a sure thing and it has not much more if any than the 9. Also, my particular 45 is a more accurate design than my 9mm. But neither would be a mistake.

It's true that the 9 ammo is a little cheaper, but it isn't that much so. But I don't shoot handguns enough to hurt my bank account, just enough to get to that Minute of Bad Guy level of accuracy.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    NN wrote: »
    The issue is that if the trigger pull is too hard, it is too easy to pull or push the front sight out of proper alignment.
    Weak finger or not, I'm entitled Sonny

Sir yes sir! sigh......you retirees have no sense of humor sometimes...... ;-)
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    moose13 wrote: »
    Badass

I quite agree, it does appear to be quite bad, the gun is ok too.
    :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    cpj wrote: »
    Says the guy in the pink shirt toting a 327 "magnum".
    More sage advice about guns from a guy that wears queer stretch clothes
    and plays with his back side in public.
    pttthppptt.....come on now, the CPJ I knew would be struttin' n singing "I'm sexy and I know it!"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I don't know if we are ready to be called "preppers" yet, but, TKOTCB and I got each other matching AR-15's for christmas. A quick inventory turned up approximately 200 rounds, so we aill have to acquire more, after the rush. I will also need to get a set of .223 dies, probably by Lee Precision. TKOTCB has been gathering and storing dry goods, and canned goods, and I have three freezers full of meat. As for the 9mm v/s .45 question, I have both, plus other assorted calibers, so the quedtion is moot.....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I don't know if we are ready to be called "preppers" yet, but, TKOTCB and I got each other matching AR-15's for christmas. A quick inventory turned up approximately 200 rounds, so we aill have to acquire more, after the rush. I will also need to get a set of .223 dies, probably by Lee Precision. TKOTCB has been gathering and storing dry goods, and canned goods, and I have three freezers full of meat. As for the 9mm v/s .45 question, I have both, plus other assorted calibers, so the quedtion is moot.....Robin

Do you have a generator for the freezers?

Nice score moose. While your reasons for 9mm were spot on, I could tell you wanted the .45. You will be happy that you got what you wanted the first time.

Of course, now you can start saving for the 9.
  • moose13moose13 New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    You guys crack me up!

And you are right, i did really want the .45
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    Do you have a generator for the freezers?

Yes I do. I have a 5550 Troy Bilt that will power up the freezers and the refrigerator, and next spring we are sceduled to install a 17 KW Generac.....Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    So you went with the Glock 21, is it a 21 SF?

Great choice, you got the caliber you wanted, your dad reloads so it won't byte so hard on the ammo budget and it is a HIGH CAPACITY 45 acp!!!

Now GLOCK SAYS that you are not supposed to use HARD CAST bullets on their guns, seems this is due to the polygonal rifling on the barrel and it getting fouled too fast, some folks still do and have no problems. Perhaps more cleaning of the barrel is required? I can't opine there as I don't reload so do some research and surely the more knowledgeable folks here will chime in on this, you can always just get an aftermarket barrel for it, they start at around $100 and that will work fine with the hard cast bullets.

Now hurry and get some high cap magazines, if there are any left... I am pretty sure Glock makes 27 rounders for the 21 and they make a mag extender for the KRISS Carbine, it uses Glock 21 magazines,, I gather it works with the Glock 21 (And 21 SF? as well) and it "converts" those 13 round magazines into 30 rounders, clearly not for CCW but it will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling next to the bed at night... Think Arredondo makes a +5 magazine extension as well, Taylor Freelance makes great Glock magazine extensions too, that or just get more 13 rounders but that ship might had sailed off already...

Now perhaps the first step is the sights, the Glock sights are no good, my aftermarket favorites are the TRUGO TFO, bright day or night, just don't use any chemicals to clean them, it will kill them fast, many other good choices out there available as well!

Ghost makes a kit that comes with all the reduced pull springs and the Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector which requires filling to fit, plus it comes with a tool to ease taking the gun apart. This kit makes that trigger pull so sweet but it requires fitting, you got to file a part of it until you get the trigger to stop where you want it to, got to go slow here and keep trying it and it will not fire at first, this means the gun will not come apart the normal way, more filling is required but there is a way around that. There are videos on UTUBE on how to do this, do a search for Ghost Rocket installation, there is some going back and fort required but for the money it does wonder to that trigger pull.

Now many folks consider going that way TOO LIGHT a trigger pull for a defense gun so maybe you just want to go with a plain 3.5 Ghost connector instead of the Ghost Rocket and reduced pull springs.

Glocks and AR-15 are the big boys barbies, lots of options to "dress them up" out there!

Now get a 22 LR handgun, then the 9mm...!!!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Dunno, that is not the Marine corps method of shooting the 1911, and truth be it known, I have yet to see a 1911 trigger that was heavy enough to cause Me to shoot it poorly, or affect the sighting in any way shape or form.

OTOH, a poor grip / position will foul up ones shooting every time.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I've got the Glock 30... I absolutely LOVE it....
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Lead bullets can foul the barrel if the lead is too soft. Best way to clean out barrel is to fire a couple of jacketed rounds when through with lead ammo. Automotive wheel weights used to balance the tires makes good lead bullets when melted. Making bullets are a pain though. :cool: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Firing jacketed bullets can increase pressures. Best way to clean out lead is with a copper cleaner or a piece of COPPER chore boy wrapped around a brass brush. Quick and easy.

As for making bullets: it's only a pain if you spill lead on yourself.
    I'm just here for snark.
    If you would forget how the Jarheads taught you to shoot ...and learn to shoot properly, you wouldn't have as much of an issue.

I thought that "jarheads" where only taught to shoot rifles, very well at that and with exceptions here and there, 2 entirely different things...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    moose13 wrote: »
    Badass

That picture gave me a flashback of this crazy uncle I got in Mexico, in the 70's disco days he had his first wife who was a very talented clothes maker made for him "fancy" purplish velvet overalls... He swore he was making a "fashion statement", this from the same guy that in the days of the small 45 rpm records would buy dozens of them if he REALLY liked a song so he could gift them to his buddies.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    If you would forget how the Jarheads taught you to shoot ...and learn to shoot properly, you wouldn't have as much of an issue.

Having shot with a current crop of Uncle Sams' Misguided Children, the current pistol doctrine seems to have caught up well.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    "what's to learn? Pointy end goes into the other man!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The guys with at least two teeth that met went to the infantry. The toothless ones became cannon cockers!
    Jerry
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    Hey Moose, welcome to the jungle! Please leave all ninja gear at the door.

The model you posted looks like a Gen3 standard model - any particular reason why you didn't go for a Gen4, or perhaps a SF (short frame) model? Just curious.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.