Rossi trifecta??? Is it decent

jsmith180601jsmith180601 New MemberPosts: 7 New Member
My gf is looking for a decent combo gun where she can take it from going deer hunting to turkey to squirrel with me with out buying 3 different guns or at least not 2 guns. She can handle the recoil also so... My question is have anyone got any input on this gun and would it be better with the 243/20ga/22 combo or the 44mag/20ga/22 combo. most of the hunting we do is thick forest and small fields in PA

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,452 Senior Member
    I have never owned one before but they are similar to the NEF single shots which aren't half bad for what they are. Personally, I would get the combo with the .243 so you have the option to shoot out there a couple hundred yards or more.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,235 Senior Member
    I'm also not familiar with the specific firearm, but I'd go with the .243 as well. Should give a bit more versatlity than the 44mag.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 384 Member
    No experience in the rossi, but I should point out that you need to check your local game laws to make sure it's carry is legal in various seasons. I know here in Canada the .22 would disqualify it from being carried during deer season, and the larger caliber centerfire rifle cartridges would disqualify it during small game season
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,452 Senior Member
    But I assume that they would have the centerfire for deer season and the rimfire when small game hunting. You can't have both barrels on at the same time.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 384 Member
    yes..but can't carry the spare barrels with you at all..and you would be suprised how many get fined big time for that here.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    I started my grandsons out on a Rossi .22/.410 combo gun, and it got recycled pretty quickly. The safety system is a PITA, and the overall quality left a lot to be desired. I moved them up to a NEF .22/20 Gauge after one season with the Rossi. Of course, one of 'em is in college, and the other one is headed for Marine boot camp as soon as he graduates High School, so the Rossi/NEF experience was several years ago. Maybe they've improved since then.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jsmith180601jsmith180601 New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    The Rossi comes with three separate barrels in a crappy case that u can have each caliber on and leave the other barrels home to avoid any Run- ins with johnny law.

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    I have a Rossi in .223 and its ok for what it is.......It'll shoot MOA when I do my part.
    Teach is right about the safety being a PITA but since I dont use the safety on it, it don't bother me much.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    I haven't handled the Rossi but I'd go with the 243, more versitility.

I own an NEF Handi Rifle. The only down side to the NEF is no 22 rf. The NEF is as versitle as they come I have .223, 243, 270, 25-06, 50 cal ML 12 guage rifled slug, 12 guage smooth bore, 20 guage smooth bore, 410 smooth bore and 410/45 LC barrels fo it. I touched up the trigger and replaced the stock with a synthetic and I really like it. I bought it because there may come a day I live on the road and want a "One Gun does Everything" gun. I have it! Go to their website and look at their barrel exchange program, it's amazing.

Have you looked at a Contender or Encore by Thompson Center? They have every thing you could want an better quality. It all depends on your budget.

BTW welcome aboard.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • jsmith180601jsmith180601 New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks yeah I'm leaning more now to the h&r handi rifle. It seems people prefer them over the Rossi and they both are relatively close in price.. only problem is I can find every rifle barrel imaginable in rifle calibers but I can't seem to find anywhere the 12 or 20 gauge barrel for it

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,226 Senior Member
    The barrels have to be fitted to the receiver, and the receiver has to be a rifle receiver to accept both rifle and shotgun barrels.

The only complaint I have against the HandiRifle is that the trigger sucks, and it's not an easy one to modify.
    Barrels are cheap and easy to find. They should but don't have to be factory fitted and the choice of stocks, calibers and configurations are great. The trigger can be done at home with just a little care. Like all inexpensive firearms they are a little rough. I prefer to polish a barrel as soon as I get it. That cuts the breakin time dramaticly.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    For a few dollars more (Ahh, remember that movie?) you can get a nice bolt gun in .243 Win., .308 Win., .260 Rem., or 7mm-08 (did I say that?). I have a Stevens Model 200, but somebody said they quit making them. There's also the Marlin XS-7 in the short cartridges and XL-7 in the long cartridges such as .270 and 30-06. Then there's also the new Ruger American Rifle that's quite a deal too. There's also the Mossberg which I was quite impressed with. I love Remingtons and a Model 700 SPS or ADL Synthetic can be had for another few dollars more. However, I would steer clear of the Remington 770s. Just my opinion but to me they share nothing with the 700s. None of what I mentioned is a combo gun, but they shoot better, IMHO. You can always get a NEF or Rossi in 20 gauge or whatever. More guns is more better!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Flashover and Jerm, I really think he was Enquiring more for a rifle and shotgun combo. However, he was asking about something for deer and turkey. So ask about your laws there and see if it's legal to shoot turkey with a rilfe. It is in some places in Texas. In that case, the .243 would work. Don't need the shotgun.
    I know a guy in Louisiana who showed up at the deer camp in Junction, TX in Nov.1983 with a Valmet O/U 12 ga.-30-06. We figured he had it sacked for deer and turkey, he could shoot the deer with the 30-06 and the turkey with the 12 ga. That first day I heard his 06 boom early and thought, "Bill got him a deer." later at the camp, he shows up with a big tom. He shot five toms that week and everyone of them with the 30-06. He never shot a deer and never fired the 12 ga. barrel. Back then Turkeys were legal with a rifle. Don't know about today.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,226 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    I prefer to polish a barrel as soon as I get it. That cuts the breakin time dramaticly.

Breakin time? How long is that?
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,577 Senior Member
    BIL had one of those combo rifle / shotgun things- would not shoot worth a darn, extra barrel was just more weight to lug around while bird hunting. I have never seen one of the german drilling (sp) in person- but that might be interesting, to shoot anyway just for giggles.
  • dnsafeshotdnsafeshot New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I have a rossi combo, fit is good for the price, the finish is durable but must be maintained. A good wipe down before storing minimum. Your choice of caliber should consider where you will be hunting deer. the .44mag is a good brush gun out to 125 yards. the .243 will carry you out to 300 yards with good shot placement. Remember you only get one good shot. while you have multiple barrels changing them in the field for multiple game situations is not ideal. If you intend to choose a barrel for the day you can have a good time. With practice it only takes one well placed shot for a clean kill. Happy Hunting!
    bisley wrote: »
    Breakin time? How long is that?

I've broken in barrels where they weren't picking up a noticable amount of copper in as few as 10 rounds, but that was in a hand lapped barrel. Remember, if a barrel has been hand lapped, all that needs break in is the chamber throat where it was chambered. All you're doing is smothing the reamer marks.
    For every penny a manufacturer puts into a gun they must charge six cents more on the consumer level. That said I will lap the barrel and touch up the tigger on any gun I get and that goes doubly for my NEF.

The glory of the NEF is; it's his girl friend! If she enjoys one style of hunting you can test another style without investing in anothr gun, just a barrel. If she like to hunt dump her or keep her and invest in better guns depending on weather you want to hunt with her, marry her or both. An NEF and a couple barrels (including a Ml) is never a waste of money.