Home Main Category Personal Defense

Feeding frenzy in full force.....

2»

Replies

• moose13moose13 New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    Most certainly. Instead of "taking guns off the street", the Dems have single-handedly been the best salesman for them. OOPS!

They just don't get it.

Ha! Not very bright are they.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    I heard on the radio last Thursday that Hyatt Gun Store in Charlotte, NC a very large and old store had $1M in gun sales on Tuesday their largest sales for a day. That shows the rush to purchase firearms at this time.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Perhaps what all this madness will achieve is to alert the lawmakers eyeballing new gun control laws, to the fact that gun control is still not universally popular.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    Bought a Colt 6920 from Wally World 2 days after Thanksgiving, CBI background check took 20 mins, it was Saturday after all. Today, estimated 100 hours for online background checks for gun purchase.

Within a couple of days I purchased online, 3-40 round mags, 1-100 round double drum, bulk 500 case of .223 ammo, 2 scopes (one for another rifle), front vertical handgrip, front picatinny rails. Everything came in before Christmas. Can't even order now.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    Those awesome BX-25 mags for the 10/22 are nowhere to be found now........:bang:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    rootbrain wrote: »
    Bought a Colt 6920 from Wally World 2 days after Thanksgiving, CBI background check took 20 mins, it was Saturday after all. Today, estimated 100 hours for online background checks

when I bought my latest acquisition during Christmas week, my FFL had the approval from the online system before I cold finish filling out the 2nd form. So less than 5 minutes.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,566 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Those awesome BX-25 mags for the 10/22 are nowhere to be found now........:bang:

I got one of the last ones at the local Cabelas. Plus, I convinced the customer service rep there into shipping me the last G19 mag in their US inventory. I didn't even have a Glock yet.

It is crazy. Their ammo area looks like it has been robbed. There was 1 box of hollow point 9mm in the entire store.

But the kicker was the A-holes at Dicks Sporting goods. They are charging $50 per box of Cheap target ammo.
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    I wish everyone would quit panic-buying so the manufacturers could catch up a little bit. Even most of the retail reloading outfits (which the panic-buyers usually don't know about) are out of stock on almost everything. I mainly just do target shooting / plinking and it's at the point now where I can't replace the ammo I'm using, however modest the amounts may be.

I can only hope that all the new gun owners are taking safety courses, or at the very least going to the range and practicing. Nothing more dangerous than a gun in the hands of someone who has no idea how to use it.

[edited to add] My LGS finally had a little over half a case of .38spl in stock the other day. I resisted the temptation to grab all they had, and just got 2 boxes and went on my way.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,940 Senior Member
    A buddy of mine stopped at a warehouse type reloading seller on Tues. on his way out here and asked if I needed anything. Well with 2 kids doing Garand matches, and 5 of us hunting, I always need something. Figured I would get 500 Amax for the garands and 03's, some hunting stuff and try some Sierra MKs for the AR.

They were OUT of 168gr Amaxs, OUT of 168gr Sierra MK's, OUT of everything 22cal, OUT of 150gr RN for a30-30, and that was just what I was shopping for. They did have 100gr 25cal Gamekings, and I ended up with 168gr Nosler match bullets. Never loaded them before but I have always had luck with Nosler, usually the price point is higher than Sierra and Horn, but on these they were right is the same area.

Counter guy said folks were driving up from Virgina and buying 1000's with emphasis on the "s". I should be ok for the year, need to find some bullets for the 30-30 though. If I can't the daughter will have to shoot something else for pinking and save what she has for hunting.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I was at two LGS looking for .44 magnum ammo, and I bought the last box of Federal .44 sp !!!

The shelves were barren of ammo ! just shotgun and some .22 LR ! really scary....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BlitschBlitsch Member Posts: 31 Member
    ChuckXX wrote: »
    I guess I should not be surprised by the happenings of late but there is a full force feeding frenzy going on. Thousands upon thousands of new gun applications being processed all over the country. Where I live here in Omaha there was a "front page" story on how Douglas and Sarpy county are now working "overtime" just to process the thousands of gun applications they are receiving. Just as a small example I called Sig Sauer directly to order 4 15 round mags for my 2 Sigs and they guy that took the order said they are on backorder and I should have them in 2 or 3 months. I then called my favorite ammo supplier "Midway USA" and had same problems. I finally found a 3rd choice and took 850 rounds of what they had left. What scares me the most is pretty soon everybody and their monkeys uncle is going to be carrying a gun and I just wonder how much decent training they will have gotten. I think you all would agree that "gun experience" is priceless and there is a frenzy right now that is really scary.

This is my first trip through a gun debate/restriction by the goverment! I was to young to care the last time around! It amazes me how no matter what store or where you are in the USA gun shelves and ammo are empty. Stopped at the local dealer and the big box stores and everything is bare to the point of eary...

As for gun permits my local news had a story on the other night on how the "gun permits sales were on the rise" the didn't want to use the concealed carry term. They interviewd a lady, who was a older lady (I mean absolutly no discrimination by this just follow me a min), who was obtaining her first CCW permit ever. She told the reporter that she felt it was time for her to get the permit so she would be able to protect others if the situation ever arised. Then she proceded to tell the reporter that next she would take some classes on it. I give her points for her reasoning and for the initative to take classes but the enitre time she was talking to the reporter her eyes were closed? I only wonder what would happen when she's put in a stressed situation requiring her to deploy her Conceale weapon? Blind firing in a public area is NEVER the solution.

I think it's a great idea to have some form of training to get the CCW permit...
  • BlitschBlitsch Member Posts: 31 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Sadly, all of my guns were lost in a tragic boating accident off the coast of South Dakota; all I have left to defend myself are a butter knife and a couple of chopsticks...

Looks like it's time to put my scubba gear on and do a little treasure diving.... I love it when loot is lost off my shores! :drool2:
  • jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Sadly, all of my guns were lost in a tragic boating accident off the coast of South Dakota; all I have left to defend myself are a butter knife and a couple of chopsticks...

Sorry, but there's a mandatory buyback on all assault chopsticks.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • BePreparedBePrepared New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Here is an interesting read on the gun and ammo shortage.
    I wish I had stocked up a little more 6 months ago.
    If necessary I can make round balls and black powder. :cuss:
    http://www.infowars.com/nationwide-ammo-shortage-so-severe-that-even-cops-cant-buy-bullets-ammo-rationing-imminent/
    I don't even see any PMAGs currently listed on Ebay anymore. There are a number of completed auctions that the seller ended the auction early (probably got an offer they could not refuse). But it looks like 30 round PMAGs are selling over $100 each!!!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,662 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I don't even see any PMAGs currently listed on Ebay anymore. There are a number of completed auctions that the seller ended the auction early (probably got an offer they could not refuse). But it looks like 30 round PMAGs are selling over $100 each!!!

Good! I still have 10 to sell! Ebay doesn't allow the sale of magazines over 10 rounds. They will pull the auction as soon as they see it. I had them pull mine and I get e-mails from people wanting to buy, but no one has sent $$$

Was at the Massillon Ohio Wal-mart last night. Besides shotgun ammo (which had a big dent in it), there was twelve boxes of .17HMR and three boxes of Remington .270............ and that was IT!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Good! I still have 10 to sell! Ebay doesn't allow the sale of magazines over 10 rounds. They will pull the auction as soon as they see it. I had them pull mine and I get e-mails from people wanting to buy, but no one has sent $$$

Was at the Massillon Ohio Wal-mart last night. Besides shotgun ammo (which had a big dent in it), there was twelve boxes of .17HMR and three boxes of Remington .270............ and that was IT!

I didn't realize that ebay was pulling the ads, I thought the seller was ending them early because they sold them.
    No. People list them with the hope someone will contact them to sell off of ebay. I've tried twice and got warnings from ebay.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I wish I could sell them on Ebay where I have a good rating built up over time. I haven't sold anything on gunbroker yet so I have no feedback.
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    You want to hear something funny??? I called "Natchez Gun Supply" yesterday and when their computer driven phone answered it told me I was caller #57 and my "wait time" would be approximately 39 minutes. Then the computer kept coming back in to tell me that I was now caller #56, 55, 54 etc etc etc. I got down to caller #19 and my secretary came in and said "your wife" is on the phone and she said "its important". I said oh crap and took her call. She said "don't forget to stop after work and get the cat food". Just my luck. I didn't call back to Natchez. This whole thing is "such a zoo".
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,122 Senior Member
    We stopped at a pawn shop today, it had a lie almost out the door with people trying to sell guns and gun stuff.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Well all I have been needing is optics and they can still be had at very decent prices. I bought a new Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm LR scope for $644 delivered and a gently used Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm for $1000. At least some gun stuff is still reasonable and easy to find!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I wish I could sell them on Ebay where I have a good rating built up over time. I haven't sold anything on gunbroker yet so I have no feedback.

Exactly! I have sold items on GunBroker and no one left me feedback. I can't get near what I sold them on ebay for (but never got the $$$ from ebay buyer cause ebay canceled it)
    Went to stepsons swim meet in Coshocton today. That is were Woodbury Outfitters is located. They were out of. 22lr, except at the end of isle there was bulk packs of Minmags. $25 for 375 rounds. Toyed with the idea of getting 10 boxes, but only got two. Panic buying AR's and XDM's runs you out of cash flow...

They had just put them on the shelf today and they were mostly gone

Only .223 in store was 5 boxes of Hornady 55gr SP. Got one box of 50. If I knew how they would shoot, might have got more
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Been grounded for 2 months, will be for at least 2 more before I can get back on my feet and leave the house. I fret at going to an LGS and seeing there is no ammo to be found, ran out of 9mm and 38 before the madness and all the 223 I got is some match ammo, very little 22 and none of the plinking stuff, I've asked around and been told that here in Puerto Rico is not so bad but I got to "see it" with my own eyes!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • armymedicarmymedic Member Posts: 36 Member
    I cannot believe all this craziness I left the country last August for a deployment to Afghanistan by the time I return in July I wonder if I will have any ammo to shoot for all the great toys that I am purchasing using my military discounts while I am here. Wanted to show the wife how to shoot when I got home, guess I better get her an air soft gun good thing those don't have any restrictions in Illinois oh wait...
    There are only three solutions for terrorism, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    A friend and I tried to attend the Indy Gun & Knife show on Friday at the Indy Fairgrounds. When we arrived 30 min. early they were already parking cars in the infield area, as all of the parking lots were filled. The line to get in was encircling the Pepsi coliseum which would equate to an estimated distance of 440 yds. and 3-4 deep. Since the building the gun show is in would have a limited capacity according to the fire marshal, we decided it would take hours before we could get into the show and left. The news media had coverage on the news and Saturdays attendance was just as crowded. I cannot even estimate how many were waiting to attend and imagine after waiting in line how much would still be available to buy, even it you did get in.
    The estimated this is the most they have ever had attend in all of the years this show has been held.

We stopped at a Carbelas on the way home and their gun dept. was very busy. We talked to one of the Mgrs. and he said they normally expect to sell $2M total sales for all dept. for 2012. He said that sales this year was $12M for the store, primarily as a result of the gun dept. sales. The ammo sells out as soon as received along with any type of semi-auto firearm received, etc.

I expect firearm and ammo sales for 2012 to have been a bonanza for all dealers and mfg. as their products are on long back orders.