And the great Cat debate continues........................

2»

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    'Cats are one of the top threats to US wildlife, killing billions of animals each year, a study suggests.
    The authors estimate they are responsible for the deaths of between 1.4 and 3.7 billion birds and 6.9-20.7 billion mammals annually.
    Writing in Nature Communications, the scientists said stray and feral cats were the worst offenders.
    However, they added that pet cats also played a role and that owners should do more to reduce their impact.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I love cats, same as I do dogs, but I totally agree that feral cats are a real problem and need to be exterminated like any pest. Of course if cat owners had been responsible in the first place, neutering their cats, then the overpopulation wouldn't occur. Saddens me to see it necessary for feral cats to be killed, but often that's the only real solution.

Cats themselves are glorious creatures and make wonderful pets, different from dogs, but still good pals. Naturally this discussion isn't about tamed, neutered, indoor cats -- all my cats have been neutered and were mostly indoor critters. But this thread is about the results of irresponsible human stewardship of what should ordinarily be fine, happy pets and letting them become a pest.

Precisely the same as people who seem to think having a pitbull is required of them, give the dog no training or proper care, and are unimpressed by the daily maulings of children by these thuggish dogs. It's the humans' fault to start, but sadly, wiping out of excess cats and ill-trained vicious dogs is what's finally required.

After much thought, I do think I can summarize the difference between cats and dogs: 1-Dogs think that they're people, albeit a faster, more capable variety. 2-Cats, on the other hand, know that they are cats. It's that cats also think that people are cats, too, albeit a particularly dense and stupid variety that requires constant training.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I co-exist just fine with cats, once they understand that I won't feed them, won't have them rubbing my ankles, won't alter my course just because they have chosen to flop down on the floor in front of me, and they can't stare me down. My wife and kids had several, over the years, and we always understood each other perfectly.
2»