Wot a of load a vomit.

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
Rare whale vomit found on Morecambe beach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-21254718

,A man from Morecambe believes his dog has found a rare piece of whale vomit while walking on the beach.
He is now waiting to get the 3kg (7lb) piece tested and said he had been offered 50,000 euros (£43,000) for it by a French dealer.
Andrew Kitchener, principal curator of vertebrates at the National Museum of Scotland, said: "It's worth so much because of its particular properties.
"It's a very important base for perfumes and it's hard to find any artificial substitute for it.
"Over time it becomes a much sweeter smell as it oxidises, but initially it doesn't smell very nice."

'Ambergris is a substance secreted by sperm whales which is thought to protect against intestinal irritation caused by the beaks of their prey, squid and cuttlefish'

New to me.:uhm:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    French whale vomit dealer? Figures. :vomit: Shamu was that you? Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    The biggest piece of ambergris I have found was about 39-40yrs ago on one of our west coast beaches. It 'netted' me $280 dollars and was almost the size of my fist. Considering my takehome pay was about $70+ a week it was a welcome boost for the beer/girls/car fund......

I always look for it when I am at a west coast beach.....havent found any since that time but some reasonable sized pieces have been found in the area I used to frequent.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    well... um..

I got nuthin'..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,413 Senior Member
    I just threw up thinking that some idiot would pay that much for whale vomit.

I will take the first $50 offer for it.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    probably worth 4x's that much here in the USA, where it is illegal to use ambergris in perfume.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    probably worth 4x's that much here in the USA, where it is illegal to use ambergris in perfume.

Why?
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    Why?

To many people getting whales hammered...... wait, that was ladies night....
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    Why?
    It's a whale product, and therefore a product sourced from an endangered species. Since you can't tell if it was legitimately collected on a beach or at sea, or gotten by slitting open a whale, it's illegal.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    :that::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ok, i want to know what the guy who originally discovered this stuff was thinking.
    "Hey! Look! Whale puke! Let's make perfume!"

Right up there with, "Look, that white thing just fell out of that chicken's butt, lets eat it!"
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Right up there with, "Look, that white thing just fell out of that chicken's butt, lets eat it!"

Or....The first guy that ever cracked open an oyster and said "Wow, that looks great, lets eat them raw"

(btw, I love raw oysters......any raw shelfish for that matter)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....